The Conner Effect

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Like Rondale, he just has an ability to get a couple yards even when it looks like it will be a loss. This is why people say to not pay big money for RBs.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Like Rondale, he just has an ability to get a couple yards even when it looks like it will be a loss. This is why people say to not pay big money for RBs.
You have won me over on this topic Chopper. We should have just tagged DJ and not extended him. Spending a 1st rd pick on a RB is a luxury that we can't afford at this point or ever. Cheap FA's and 3rd rd or later draft picks.

OP
OP
Syracusecards

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
What I think is going on here is that Murray deserves much of the credit for Conner’s success and to a degree Edmonds as well. You may have noticed much of Conner’s success comes in the 4th quarter. By then the opponent’s D-line is likely exhausted and frustrated from chasing Murray all around the Cards’ backfield. I think the Cards‘ line is in great shape but they are pushing around a group of defenders with their tongues hanging out.
Good point. He’s definitely more effective in the second half.

OP
OP
Syracusecards

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
I never doubted Conner - been happy since he signed, I liked drake well enough but was still similar to Edmonds skill set, little stronger at the point of attack.
now Conner can be a bell cow in weather games, especially Playoff games, we have not seen his best at 79 carries in 6 games, want to see him after 20 carries in a game. 215 carries was his most in a season, so he Does not have a lot of NFL wear and tear in his 5th year.

he is very valuable helps Kyler, oline, defense and special teams. coach is learning to trust him, he is what the cards offense was missing. We don’t have to play feast or famine, addicted to the pass, allergic to the run. We can be a balanced championship football team, it is up to the play caller.

James Connor note cards
great point about bad weather games. That was a major area I worried about before the season but this team is now equipped to handle any type of game we have to play.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You have won me over on this topic Chopper. We should have just tagged DJ and not extended him. Spending a 1st rd pick on a RB is a luxury that we can't afford at this point or ever. Cheap FA's and 3rd rd or later draft picks.
lol...you ready for this off-season when both Edmonds and Conner are free agents?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol...you ready for this off-season when both Edmonds and Conner are free agents?
Is it possible to extend a couple players by a certain deadline possibly still?

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Depends on how much they want. They both might be in the top 5 FA RBs available. The draft is an option, true.
I highly doubt that either will be considered top 5 but even so at least one can be re-signed. Even it both are top 5 fa rbs available SK will find another FA who will help the team

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’m still shocked at Edmonds relatively pedestrian speed for a smaller shift back. Not only did he get caught from behind yesterday on his 40 yard romp, but the dude that caught him ran him down relatively quickly.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we can keep him too. He's not going to put up huge numbers where some teams is going to pay him mega bucks.

He's a guy we can probably resign for $3-4m next year.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think we can keep him too. He's not going to put up huge numbers where some teams is going to pay him mega bucks.

He's a guy we can probably resign for $3-4m next year.
I generally would agree but the best RB on the market might be Leonard Fournette. Conner and Edmonds are two of the four free agent RBs who are currently receiving over a 45% snap share.

Fournette - 59.8% (highest)
Chase - 58.4%
Melvin Gordon - 54.2%
Conner - 45.3%

that is the top of list.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I am so 100% not allowing myself to think about 2022.

I know there are issues with the number of key contributors who are free agents, but I will worry about that after the season is over. One week at a time

CT Card Fan

Registered
Reaction score
What I learned today is that Steeler fans don't know the difference between a good RB and a pitiful Oline.
This. Went to Pitt for school, so followed Conner then and also as a Steeler. Stout is 100% right that he has had injury issues but that Steeler O-line has been bad recently and just added to the problem. Their loss is our gain though.

CT Card Fan

Registered
Reaction score
The other huge thing with this is they don't have to resort to using Kyler more often to get those 3rd or 4th and short yards and it doesn't put him in harm's way as much. And if teams focus on Conner, then if they do run the Kyler bootleg in one of those situations it may be more likely to pop for a really big gain.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
What I think is going on here is that Murray deserves much of the credit for Conner’s success and to a degree Edmonds as well. You may have noticed much of Conner’s success comes in the 4th quarter. By then the opponent’s D-line is likely exhausted and frustrated from chasing Murray all around the Cards’ backfield. I think the Cards‘ line is in great shape but they are pushing around a group of defenders with their tongues hanging out.
Nothing more demoralizing than a team salting away the clock and beating you up at the same time. The Cards are getting good at this!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson