News of the Bengals Game

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Okay I admit to drinking the Kool-Aid. I predicted a win (first time this year). The Cards hung around for much of the game. I won’t spend significant time on the 2 primary causes of failure, as I covered them elsewhere. Simply too much Dobbs & Marco Wilson were too much for the team to overcome.

Some responded that Wilson was all they had. I rather have seen Clark at least pick up a few PIs. Wilson wasn’t close enough to get one.

I was hard on Dobbs, but frankly he’s just not that good. I’d rather have a backup like McCoy who plays a controlled game than one who you never know what you’re going to get. The McCoy-type backup seems to provide a better chance to win. It is a tribute to this coaching staff Dobbs has done as well as he has. That said, the staff still needs to sharpen their game management. On the first Bengal series, they let Burrow drive with impunity. That let him get his rhythm with little pressure. They never caught up.

I realize they have to work with what they’re given. Nonetheless I think they should have attacked Chase rather than let Wilson start each play 10 yards off him. On slant routes it was easy to pick Wilson off with cross traffic. Get someone up to press him at the line. Play him more physically. Even try Clark on him for a few plays. I realize they couldn’t shut him down, but I think it sends the wrong message not to try. The Cards remain suckers for passes in the flat. Even the commentators called them out for failing to adjust coverage, especially on third down. Their zone defense has to close faster when penetrated.

They did run a nice 2 man game with Dobbs rolling out and eventually throwing to McBride. They never repeated it or tried it on the other side. Tune was criticized for allowing a free rusher. Dobbs was sacked the same way. He could have moved the back. Did they check the new punters holding skills? He blew the point. The Cards need play design work on fourth and short. They rolled out Dobbs without pulling linemen and offering no throwing option; cross a receiver. Throwing to Moore in the flat with no blockers will not get you 4 yards. He has no moves!

On the whole this was the Cards poorest game from a coaching standpoint. This level will not win NFL games

The Good News

On offense, until injured Connor was having a great game. Brown came to play again. He’s looking like the impact player he once was. They designed another good gimmick play with Moore. Swain actually looked like a receiver. Demercado showed surprising tenacity and looked liked one of those backs who gains momentum with more carries. The Cards may have found something. He likely can’t protect the QB, but I might start him and see what happens. Ertz got his hands back on the TD pass. Maybe he’s good going forward. Sometimes players returning from injury have to get hit a little to get focused. Dortch was solid on punt returns. Did the new punter out-kick his coverage?

On defense, before he got injured Thompson looked better in coverage. Both Hamilton and Wallace made great goal line stops. Hamilton also had a nice tackle of Mixon later. I think they’ve got at least a solid backup in Woods. Gardeck continues to play at Pro Bowl level. Offenses are starting to account for him. Stills is showing signs of exceeding his low draft selection. That’s what good coaching can do. Collins had another nice sack on a stunt. Wallace made a nice pick. He shows flashes in pass coverage. Clark struggled to contain Irwin, but his effort was high. He can run and is not afraid to hit.

The Bad News

On offense I could fill the page about Dobbs. His play eliminated any chance of the Cards winning the game. Happy feet had him leaving the pocket early. Poor footwork left him continually throwing high or wobbly passes. He forced the ball into coverage rather than using progressions. He mostly failed to dump the ball when necessary. He was lucky he didn’t have 5 interceptions. He forgot Wilson existed. He seemed to totally lack composure, although he did make a nice dump in the grasp. McBride was rarely targeted again. Humphries got beaten badly on a couple of sacks.

On defense, Chachere again simply let a receiver run by him with no reaction. The thinness of the DL rotation allowed Mixon to wear them down. They also left the middle open when rushing Burrow.

On the whole the game was lost due to bad QB play and poor pass coverage. The in-game coaching was not good. Still there’s no reason for losing hope. The team played hard and they kept coming at the Bengals. They made a great goal line stand that showed character. Gannon has instilled the right attitude into this team. I expected them to win 4 or 5 more games, though Connor’s injury is a setback. Murray’s return could be very interesting.

Last edited:

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Okay I admit to drinking the Kool-Aid. I predicted a win (first time this year). The Cards hung around for much of the game. I won’t spend significant time on the 2 primary causes of failure, as I covered them elsewhere. Simply too much Dobbs & Marco Wilson were too much for the team to overcome.

Some responded that Wilson was all they had. I rather have seen Clark at least pick up a few PIs. Wilson wasn’t close enough to get one.

I was hard on Dobbs, but frankly he’s just not that good. I’d rather have a backup like McCoy who plays a controlled game than one who you never know what you’re going to get. The McCoy-type backup seems to provide a better chance to win. It is a tribute to this coaching staff Dobbs has done as well as he has. That said, the staff still needs to sharpen their game management. On the first Bengal series, they let Burrow drive with impunity. That let him get his rhythm with little pressure. They never caught up.

I realize they have to work with what they’re given. Nonetheless I think they should have attacked Chase rather than let Wilson start each play 10 yards off him. On slant routes it was easy to pick Wilson off with cross traffic. Get someone up to press him at the line. Play him more physically. Even try Clark on him for a few plays. I realize they couldn’t shut him down, but I think it sends the wrong message not to try. The Cards remain suckers for passes in the flat. Even the commentators called them out for failing to adjust coverage, especially on third down. Their zone defense has to close faster when penetrated.

They did run a nice 2 man game with Dobbs rolling out and eventually throwing to McBride. They never repeated it or tried it on the other side. Tune was criticized for allowing a free rusher. Dobbs was sacked the same way. He could have moved the back. Did they check the new punters holding skills? He blew the point. The Cards need play design work on fourth and short. They rolled out Dobbs without pulling linemen and offering no throwing option; cross a receiver. Throwing to Moore in the flat with no blockers will not get you 4 yards. He has no moves!

On the whole this was the Cards poorest game from a coaching standpoint. This level will not win NFL games

The Good News

On offense, until injured Connor was having a great game. Brown came to play again. He’s looking like the impact player he once was. They designed another good gimmick play with Moore. Swain actually looked like a receiver. Demercado showed surprising tenacity and looked liked one of those backs who gains momentum with more carries. The Cards may have found something. He likely can’t protect the QB, but I might start him and see what happens. Ertz got his hands back on the TD pass. Maybe he’s good going forward. Sometimes players returning from injury have to get hit a little to get focused. Dortch was solid on punt returns. Did the new punter out-kick his coverage?

On defense, before he got injured Thompson looked better in coverage. Both Hamilton and Wallace made great goal line stops. Hamilton also had a nice tackle of Mixon later. I think they’ve got at least a solid backup in Woods. Gardeck continues to play at Pro Bowl level. Offenses are starting to account for him. Stills is showing signs of exceeding his low draft selection. That’s what good coaching can do. Collins had another nice sack on a stunt. Wallace made a nice pick. He shows flashes in pass coverage. Clark struggled to contain Irwin, but his effort was high. He can run and is not afraid to hit.

The Bad News

On offense I could fill the page about Dobbs. His play eliminated any chance of the Cards winning the game. Happy feet had him leaving the pocket early. Poor footwork left him continually throwing high or wobbly passes. He forced the ball into coverage rather than using progressions. He mostly failed to dump the ball when necessary. He was lucky he didn’t have 5 interceptions. He forgot Wilson existed. He seemed to totally lack composure, although he did make a nice dump in the grasp. McBride was rarely targeted again. Humphries got beaten badly on a couple of sacks.

On defense, Chachere again simply let a receiver run by him with no reaction. The thinness of the DL rotation allowed Mixon to wear them down. They also left the middle open when rushing Burrow.

On the whole the game was lost due to bad QB play and poor pass coverage. The in-game coaching was not good. Still there’s no reason for losing hope. The team played hard and they kept coming at the Bengals. They made a great goal line stand that showed character. Gannon has instilled the right attitude into this team. I expected them to win 4 or 5 more games, though Connor’s injury is a setback. Murray’s return could be very interesting.
Very accurate assessment of the game. Bottom line, the Cardinals have a very small margin for error. They don’t have enough talent to win unless they play well & turning the ball over 3 times is a death knell at this stage in their franchise development. Stafford will feast on that depleted secondary, especially if we don’t somehow create pressure. I’m hoping Williams sees the field on Sunday.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To me the pressure on Dobbs was worse than any game so far. Between that and losing Conner the offense was in big trouble. Some of the play calls were puzzling as well. The D is bad when healthy. With injuries I am not sure what to call it.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
I agree with most of Harry's write up, but not about Demarcado's blocking. His pass blocking has been stellar the few times he's been on the field, and I think it's probably one of the reasons the coaches feel comfortable with him on third downs.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I agree with most of Harry's write up, but not about Demarcado's blocking. His pass blocking has been stellar the few times he's been on the field, and I think it's probably one of the reasons the coaches feel comfortable with him on third downs.
He wasn’t good in college but this staff has shown the ability to coach up a player, so maybe.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Good News

The Bad News

The McCown stuff is completely revisionist history. He was the exact same type of player that Dobbs was.