The Conner Effect

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
I have to admit, I really thought Conner was just a guy when we first signed him. Man was I wrong.

Have you noticed how much harder the O-line blocks for him than they do for Edmonds? There is a scrum every time he carries it. Love seeing O-lineman pushing the pile forward for another 4 yards.

No offense to Chase, I like his game. But he gets tackled pretty easy and doesn't have that o-line mentality to keep chugging for more yards.

Conner might not be flashy or all that elusive, but he is always falling forward and gives our team a gritty, grind it out running game that we haven't had in years.

He has brought balance to our offense that makes pass rushers hesitate and a nastiness that can humiliate the defense. His stiff arm is probably 2nd in the league to Derrick Henry.

So happy to be wrong on him.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They compliment each other damn near perfectly. I really like them both.

Exactly the big run early by Chase got us out of the gate running. And then Conner took over in the 2nd half.

He's one of those guys who runs so upright you'd think he'd have a very short career but he's just so strong, the first guy rarely gets him.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Has he earned the right to have his name spelled correctly yet? Kiem, Bidwill, Connor... blech. It's CONNER - scream it loud and proud, and for cryin' out loud, spell it right!

He was just beasting out there today. So many yards after contact, LOTS of contact in many cases. And he's what, 26?? Hardly a high-mileage short-term rental. What a roster!!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Connor reminds me of Johnny Johnson

Oh, I kinda see that, but JJ had a little bit better speed early on his career. Did he get an ACL or something after a couple seasons? He had such a natural looking glide and then just fell off the face of the map.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I like Connor too but it's dumb to say that his teammates work harder for him than another teammate.
I don't think it's working harder...rather most OL would rather power run block than finesse block. It's easier for them at the point of attack, especially if they can dominate the defender across from them.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Oh, I kinda see that, but JJ had a little bit better speed early on his career. Did he get an ACL or something after a couple seasons? He had such a natural looking glide and then just fell off the face of the map.
I think it was foot problems. You're right though, he had some sneaky elusiveness for a big back and he could break loose for a long run, too.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I was underwhelmed with this pickup.

But I love the guy, You need a yard?.... He'll get you you 2!

Need 3?.... He'll most likely give you 6 :p

This guy makes ball control a viable option for the first time.... in what seems like forever

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
What I think is going on here is that Murray deserves much of the credit for Conner’s success and to a degree Edmonds as well. You may have noticed much of Conner’s success comes in the 4th quarter. By then the opponent’s D-line is likely exhausted and frustrated from chasing Murray all around the Cards’ backfield. I think the Cards‘ line is in great shape but they are pushing around a group of defenders with their tongues hanging out.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I never doubted Conner - been happy since he signed, I liked drake well enough but was still similar to Edmonds skill set, little stronger at the point of attack.
now Conner can be a bell cow in weather games, especially Playoff games, we have not seen his best at 79 carries in 6 games, want to see him after 20 carries in a game. 215 carries was his most in a season, so he Does not have a lot of NFL wear and tear in his 5th year.

he is very valuable helps Kyler, oline, defense and special teams. coach is learning to trust him, he is what the cards offense was missing. We don’t have to play feast or famine, addicted to the pass, allergic to the run. We can be a balanced championship football team, it is up to the play caller.

James Connor note cards

Red on White

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He is just a bad dude. Gets the most out of each run. Keeps his feet moving and gets more yards then he should. Reminds me of Edgerrin James and Emmitt Smith in that aspect.
Yep. Seems to treat every yard as precious.

On 3rd and 2 or 3rd and 1 he'll get the required yards but then fight tooth and nail to pinch a couple more.

Small gains that add up over a game.

Without checking, I think our 3rd (and 4th) down conversion percentage when he runs would be good

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn