The Biggest Loser (of Cardinals training camp)

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I was putting this into a couple different threads and I can't stop thinking about it so I will just make a thread about it.

Joshua Jones was the biggest disappointment of training camp. He lost. He went from competing for the starting RG spot to now being the primary backup at RT. Kelvin Beachum is signed for one more year after this one and it is for cheap. Jones isn't beating him out as he wasn't even deemed good enough to compete with Beachum for the RT spot this year. I am sure I will get a lot of "it's too early" or other nonsense, but those folks are sticking their heads in the sand. Joshua Jones was competing against "not good enough" for the Bills Brian Winters and Justin Murray. Neither are considered good players and Justin Murray is under contract for next year as well.

Not only could Josh Jones not beat them out, he couldn't beat them out when he got every first team rep at RG...and neither Winter nor Murray played a single snap. Those average at best guys did not have to even play a snap in two preseason games to win the starting spot, Josh Jones went out and lost it. Ugh. Another 3rd round pick by Keim flushed down the drain on a guy who can't beat out journeymen NFL players. What a bummer.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was putting this into a couple different threads and I can't stop thinking about it so I will just make a thread about it.

Joshua Jones was the biggest disappointment of training camp. He lost. He went from competing for the starting RG spot to now being the primary backup at RT. Kelvin Beachum is signed for one more year after this one and it is for cheap. Jones isn't beating him out as he wasn't even deemed good enough to compete with Beachum for the RT spot this year. I am sure I will get a lot of "it's too early" or other nonsense, but those folks are sticking their heads in the sand. Joshua Jones was competing against "not good enough" for the Bills Brian Winters and Justin Murray. Neither are considered good players and Justin Murray is under contract for next year as well.

Not only could Josh Jones not beat them out, he couldn't beat them out when he got every first team rep at RG...and neither Winter nor Murray played a single snap. Those average at best guys did not have to even play a snap in two preseason games to win the starting spot, Josh Jones went out and lost it. Ugh. Another 3rd round pick by Keim flushed down the drain on a guy who can't beat out journeymen NFL players. What a bummer.
Good observation. I’m sick of hearing Keim tell us how great everybody looks and how he can’t believe player x was available. Thirty one teams had two ( or more) chances of getting this guy and they passed. There was a reason for that.
Just like episode 5 he talks about how great this team is. Best since 2015!

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This is fair. Although I wasn't surprised he fell to round 3 at all. You could see in college he had all kinds of issues with his pass sets.

I did think he had a chance to take the RG job though where his poor technique wouldn't be such an issue so it's disappointing he got beat out by JAGs like Winters and Murray. Although I would also say that depth charts are often misleading.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Was it ever announced Jones would not be starting at RG or is this just based on the depth chart the team released which has historically meant very little?

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Was it ever announced Jones would not be starting at RG or is this just based on the depth chart the team released which has historically meant very little?
He was drafted to play tackle, last year he had just few plays as extra tackle/tigh end
When the season was over the gm and someone of the staff, said he can play guard, which wasnt seen really promising since we didnt have a legit starter at righ tackle
After the preseason Josh Jones is back at right tackle in the depth chart, behind the journeyman Beachum
When at righ guard we have two very average guards
He couldn't beat out any of them
Does it look promising for u?

Last edited:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Holding out until he’s 32 before concluding the trajectory of his career….

I loved the pick and I’m disappointed that he didn’t crack the starting lineup. Signing Beechum to a 2 year deal is not a ringing endorsement for what the team things of JJ

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He was drafted to play tackle, last year he had just few plays as extra tackle/tigh end
When the season was over the gm and someone of the staff, said he can play guard, which wasnt seen really promising since we didnt have a legit starter at righ tackle
After the preseason Josh Jones is back at right tackle in the depth chart, behind the journeyman Beachum
When at righ guard we have two very average guards
He couldn't beat out any of them
Does it look promising for u?
Not sure how this response answers my question on if an announcement was made of who the RG is.

My comment mentioned nothing about Jones performance, wether I was happy with him or not, or anything else defending Jones. I simply asked if a starting RG was named and I missed it.

This thread indicates an announcement had been made. I hadn’t seen it and was wondering if I missed it.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Not sure how this response answers my question on if an announcement was made of who the RG is.

My comment mentioned nothing about Jones performance, wether I was happy with him or not, or anything else defending Jones. I simply asked if a starting RG was named and I missed it.

This thread indicates an announcement had been made. I hadn’t seen it and was wondering if I missed it.
I made the assumption that Jones lost the RG battle by the depth chart having Murray and Winters at RG and Jones at RT. You are correct that the depth chart is generally unofficial though if he is, then it is not even close to being accurate.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think if Jones won the starting job we would have heard about it ad nauseam in cards media. We haven't heard a peep.

He might get his shot at RT though. I get the hunch that beechum will fall off the cliff massively this year.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really don't know why anyone is surprised.

He could not get a snap on the field last year. Any rookie the coaches will not play at all in their rookie year, especially a high end pick is a bust. When they start talking about changing the guys position that is another gigantic red flag.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I made the assumption that Jones lost the RG battle by the depth chart having Murray and Winters at RG and Jones at RT. You are correct that the depth chart is generally unofficial though if he is, then it is not even close to being accurate.
It's crazy if he's not the starter because 1) We know what we have in Murray and Winters. Both are at best, average players. 2) The team has been going out of their way to say that Jones has looked good all of camp.

I get that beating out Beachum wasn't really going to happen. As I posted elsewhere, Beachum faired really well with ESPN's pass block win rating AND run block wing rating. He was like top 15 in the league in both for all tackles, which would be indicative of a "good" season.

But not beating out Justin Murray who hasn't really impressed other than being a swing guy is disappointing.

Keim has failed even during the good years to draft offensive linemen. Humphries is literally the only good one he has picked, and even then, Humphries took longer than average to become a good player. Third round picks need to start within two years, like you said elsewhere, or they are disappointments.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I really don't know why anyone is surprised.

He could not get a snap on the field last year. Any rookie the coaches will not play at all in their rookie year, especially a high end pick is a bust. When they start talking about changing the guys position that is another gigantic red flag.
he played plenty in jumbo packages? was the 6th oline on the field in those situations. not exactly a rookie that couldnt get any snaps

lets wait till week 1. im not so sure these depth charts are set in stone

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
he played plenty in jumbo packages? was the 6th oline on the field in those situations. not exactly a rookie that couldnt get any snaps

Let's not get crazy. Jones played 54 offensive snaps last season.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Really, you consider gimmick blocking tight end playing time?

Reaction score

Could Jones be having the same issues DJ had playing on the opposite side that he's always played on? He always played left tackle in college.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
When jobs are @ stack, coaches normally lean toward veterans especially on oline. Also you don't want Hudson who is new to team having to worry about looking out for basically a rookie on his right side while still getting up to speed himself.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Could Jones be having the same issues DJ had playing on the opposite side that he's always played on? He always played left tackle in college.

I would say after an entire year on the right side, no.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson