10 thoughts - training camp

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – The o-line definitely has potential, and the option for some to truly step up. I could see players such as Marquis Hayes, Hjalte Froholdt, Josh Jones, or Lecitus Smith get their breakthrough, and what about rookies such as Jon Gaines and Paris Johnson? Exciting battles coming up.

2 – Zaven Collins’ move to edge rusher is absolute in the top of most exciting things in camp. I think it was @Chopper0080 that mentioned the possibility many months ago, but back then it only seemed like an interesting thought. Great call, Chopper. It would be massive if Collins turns out to be effective.

3 – Everyone seems to say that next offseason will be Monti Ossenfort’s big chance to truly put his stamp on the team, and while there are some good arguments to that, it is not like he gets a freebie-season. They need to show some sort of promise in this training camp.

4 – Toward the end of last season, Trey McBride got sort of a breakthrough. It will be very fascinating to see if he can built on that momentum, and become an even bigger part of the offense. I expect the TE role to be very important this upcoming season, and with the uncertainty about Zach Ertz, they might need McBride to take yet another step up.

5 – Isaiah Simmons moving permanently to DB could be the key to finally unlock his undoubtedly immense talent. To put it mildly, it wouldn’t be a complete shock to me if Nick Rallis can find Simmons’ ideal role where Vance Joseph couldn’t.

6 – Throughout this offseason, Kyler Murray have shown huge improvements regarding being a leader (cynics would say that it was hard to not). Will he continue that trajectory?

7 – Klayton Adams, Ryan Smith, and Patrick Toney – offensive line-, cornerback-, defensive back coach – is the ones on the new staff that I have the highest expectations for. Looking forward to follow those groups.

8 – There is always a camp surprise. Who will it be? My guess is on OL Josh Jones, LB Kyzir White, or DL Dante Stills (but obviously, if I guessed it, it would not be a surprise, and thus make this point impossible.)

9 – This is it, Rondale Moore. There is no Nuk Hopkins to take your snaps, and for the first time in your (NFL-) career, you go into the season with a lot of responsibility on your shoulders. Now show me that you can handle it.

10 – Is this Keaontay Ingram’s time to shine? James Connor might be the lead back, but he cannot carry it all by himself (coupled with the issue that he is not very good), so someone else must step up. Ingram is the most likely.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Upgrades over whom? Pascal might be as good as late-period AJ Green, but he couldn’t see the field for Philly last year.
Our 4th WR. Take your pick on who you think that is, and the answer will still be that Pascal is an upgrade.
Carlos Watkins started 4 games last season. Do you consider him an upgrade over JJ Watt or Zach Allen? LOL
No, but he is an upgrade vs who is on the roster now. That's the idea anyway.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Our 4th WR. Take your pick on who you think that is, and the answer will still be that Pascal is an upgrade.

No, but he is an upgrade vs who is on the roster now. That's the idea anyway.
To me players that low on the roster are largely interchangeable. If you want to hand our laurels for “upgrading” on Andrea Baccielli and Jonathan Ledbetter, more power to you.

I think Pascal is our #2 WR. Who do you think is ahead of Pascal? Surely not Rondale Moore…

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me players that low on the roster are largely interchangeable. If you want to hand our laurels for “upgrading” on Andrea Baccielli and Jonathan Ledbetter, more power to you.

I think Pascal is our #2 WR. Who do you think is ahead of Pascal? Surely not Rondale Moore…
If you think Pascal is our #2, then he is above everyone else on the roster besides Hollywood. That clearly makes him an upgrade. You are proving my point for me.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
1 – The o-line definitely has potential, and the option for some to truly step up. I could see players such as Marquis Hayes, Hjalte Froholdt, Josh Jones, or Lecitus Smith get their breakthrough, and what about rookies such as Jon Gaines and Paris Johnson? Exciting battles coming up.

2 – Zaven Collins’ move to edge rusher is absolute in the top of most exciting things in camp. I think it was @Chopper0080 that mentioned the possibility many months ago, but back then it only seemed like an interesting thought. Great call, Chopper. It would be massive if Collins turns out to be effective.

3 – Everyone seems to say that next offseason will be Monti Ossenfort’s big chance to truly put his stamp on the team, and while there are some good arguments to that, it is not like he gets a freebie-season. They need to show some sort of promise in this training camp.

4 – Toward the end of last season, Trey McBride got sort of a breakthrough. It will be very fascinating to see if he can built on that momentum, and become an even bigger part of the offense. I expect the TE role to be very important this upcoming season, and with the uncertainty about Zach Ertz, they might need McBride to take yet another step up.

5 – Isaiah Simmons moving permanently to DB could be the key to finally unlock his undoubtedly immense talent. To put it mildly, it wouldn’t be a complete shock to me if Nick Rallis can find Simmons’ ideal role where Vance Joseph couldn’t.

6 – Throughout this offseason, Kyler Murray have shown huge improvements regarding being a leader (cynics would say that it was hard to not). Will he continue that trajectory?

7 – Klayton Adams, Ryan Smith, and Patrick Toney – offensive line-, cornerback-, defensive back coach – is the ones on the new staff that I have the highest expectations for. Looking forward to follow those groups. I am echoing point three of this fine thesis.

8 – There is always a camp surprise. Who will it be? My guess is on OL Josh Jones, LB Kyzir White, or DL Dante Stills (but obviously, if I guessed it, it would not be a surprise, and thus make this point impossible.)

9 – This is it, Rondale Moore. There is no Nuk Hopkins to take your snaps, and for the first time in your (NFL-) career, you go into the season with a lot of responsibility on your shoulders. Now show me that you can handle it.

10 – Is this Keaontay Ingram’s time to shine? James Connor might be the lead back, but he cannot carry it all by himself (coupled with the issue that he is not very good), so someone else must step up. Ingram is the most likely.
Very well said. I feel the goal as you said, should be show significant improvement of last year's nightmare. I think the thinking of developing a run game will be an important step in that direction as we find out how well KM recovers. I think he truly couldn't stand anything about KK that goes back to KK college coaching. The so called offensive game plan was the cherry on top of the fiasco all year.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I’m hoping Isaiah Simmons is put back at linebacker to start the season. Don’t ever recall players 6-4 240 being able to cover Wide Receivers worth a damn. The only thing that can improve this team is coaching because they definitely didn’t improve the roster.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Create hole in roster: It was necessary to change the culture.
Fill hole with lesser talent: It's an upgrade from no one! Effective front office coming through.
You're right. They should have signed someone as productive as D-Hop, there's so many you can shake a stick at them.
Or use a Jedi mind trick to convince JJ to not retire.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You're right. They should have signed someone as productive as D-Hop, there's so many you can shake a stick at them.
Or use a Jedi mind trick to convince JJ to not retire.
Yes. If only we'd had someone on the roster as productive as D-Hop.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Yes. And dont call me Shirley.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The starting 22 should be filled with 22 All-Pros.
Man… this is where you know someone’s totally lost the argument. I mean, you’re just dead wrong about upgrades but now you’re projecting stupid arguments on to others that they haven’t made to strengthen your own?

this kind of stuff is why I don’t post here all that much anymore.

Well, that and there’s really nothing of interest to talk about this season until Kyler comes back.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jesus. This is a terrible argument that you’re just making worse with every post. I mean, you’re just dead wrong about upgrades but now you’re projecting stupid arguments on to others that they haven’t made to strengthen your own?

That’s when you know you’ve totally lost the argument.
Jesus. My point was outlandish TO PROVE A POINT.

You might want to consider walking away if you failed to grasp that.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yes. And dont call me Shirley.
For me, #2 WR is a position. It's the outside WR, especially in 3WR sets. No one serious should convince themselves that Rondale Moore can do that job. I don't even think that's the most effective role for Hollywood Brown.

I expect to see Pascal and Brown on the field most often, and Pascal, Wilson, and Brown on the field most often when we go three-wide. It's a very unserious argument that Brown-Pascal-Wilson is an upgrade over Hopkins-Brown-Green.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Some extremely optimistic takes bordering on...well, I'll stay positive and say it sure would be nice if even a fraction of this is true.

In a way, I agree, Stout, but on the other hand I also think that the season will be way too boring if I constantly look negative at it. Some of these thoughts might be a little too optimistic, but seeing improvements are my way of finding interest in the following the team this year.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson