Technical Fouls

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've been at or near the top of total technicals earned for a few years now, what is up? This year we have 61 technicals (I don't think that even includes the 2 we earned today) and our nearest competitor has 51. We no longer have the twins to blame this on and I doubt the number is explained away by the constant losing as the next closest team is at the opposite end of the winning spectrum (Warriors).

And it's all player techs too, we are one of just two teams that have zero technicals called on the Head Coach. This is our worst season as far as techs go but we've had a problem for several years now. Looking backward, we've finished 5th, 3rd, 7th, 5th, 7th, 8th and 3rd in the race for most techs over the past 7 years. I think the presence of PJ has contributed in most of those years but whatever the cause, it would be nice if we could stop giving away games like this.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've been at or near the top of total technicals earned for a few years now, what is up? This year we have 61 technicals (I don't think that even includes the 2 we earned today) and our nearest competitor has 51. We no longer have the twins to blame this on and I doubt the number is explained away by the constant losing as the next closest team is at the opposite end of the winning spectrum (Warriors).

And it's all player techs too, we are one of just two teams that have zero technicals called on the Head Coach. This is our worst season as far as techs go but we've had a problem for several years now. Looking backward, we've finished 5th, 3rd, 7th, 5th, 7th, 8th and 3rd in the race for most techs over the past 7 years. I think the presence of PJ has contributed in most of those years but whatever the cause, it would be nice if we could stop giving away games like this.

I can't speak for the other seasons, but I think this team hates losing in the worst way. I think Watson said much the same.

OP
OP
A

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't speak for the other seasons, but I think this team hates losing in the worst way. I think Watson said much the same.

Yeah, losing sucks but losing your temper contributes far more to losing than winning. And I'm a huge Booker fan but he needs to dial it down before someone knocks him down.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, losing sucks but losing your temper contributes far more to losing than winning. And I'm a huge Booker fan but he needs to dial it down before someone knocks him down.

I've noticed Booker losing his temper and challenging the referees as well. Also Chriss seems to lose his temper quire often. My first thought was to contribute it to Tucker's influence but that may be too easy. I want the players to have a temper but channel it. Maybe coach Watson is breeding the fire to win which comes out on the court. However, I do not want the players to get a reputation with the referees for regularly complaining.

Maybe they learn it in yoga classes. :)

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think it is a combination of three things. For starters a lot of these players are very young and pretty immature emotionally. Next is the fact that they are losing a lot and lastly these guys, despite how much they have lost, still refuse to accept losing. A lot of teams in this same situation may have somewhat accepted losing at this point, but this team continues to go out and put everything they have into trying to win night in, night out. That has got to be extra frustrating when that amounts to just continuing to lose game.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Some technicals I don't mind. Chriss and Booker not backing down is fine. We need to make sure teams know they can't push us around. Techs for arguing with referees, hitting the ball, and stuff like that does bother me.

OP
OP
A

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some technicals I don't mind. Chriss and Booker not backing down is fine. We need to make sure teams know they can't push us around. Techs for arguing with referees, hitting the ball, and stuff like that does bother me.

I see both Chriss and Booker initiating rather than responding and that worries me.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
They're young. That's it.
They're young, yes. But that's not it if we don't begin to see a steady reduction over the rest of the season. If we don't, then it reflects an inexperienced Head Coach not developing his young players properly.

Or could it be . . . We want the top pick but make it look like we're not tanking and really want to win? :rolleyes:

OP
OP
A

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're young, yes. But that's not it if we don't begin to see a steady reduction over the rest of the season. If we don't, then it reflects an inexperienced Head Coach not developing his young players properly.

Or could it be . . . We want the top pick but make it look like we're not tanking and really want to win? :rolleyes:

It's at least an 8 year long trend, is that truly a reflection of the Head Coach?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I see both Chriss and Booker initiating rather than responding and that worries me.
Troy Daniels definitely initiated the scuffle against the Grizz, the one where Chriss threw Porzingis I think Chriss thought he pushed Bled to the ground so he retaliated and the one against the Bucks was more or less initiated by the Bucks as all Chriss did was get physical with Giannis.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It's at least an 8 year long trend, is that truly a reflection of the Head Coach?
It's a reflection of an inexperienced Head Coach, just another low priced patsy having to deal with the obsessions of the owner and his Front Office.

But if the Coach can't teach his young players to reduce their technicals over the balance of the season, it certainly should be a factor in his assessment.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Chandler has contributed a good portion of this. Without looking it up I can recall at least 2 games this season where it seemed like he purposely tried to get tossed. He's not as bad as the Morris twins were but he has definitely let his frustrations be known during some bad games.

*Edit* He only has 4 techs on the year, so apparently my memory isn't that great and I've combined his antics from last season with this one.

OP
OP
A

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Chandler has contributed a good portion of this. Without looking it up I can recall at least 2 games this season where it seemed like he purposely tried to get tossed. He's not as bad as the Morris twins were but he has definitely let his frustrations be known during some bad games.

*Edit* He only has 4 techs on the year, so apparently my memory isn't that great and I've combined his antics from last season with this one.

I think Tyson is a big part of the current problem. I'm not sure what you're looking at but the list I saw showed he has 10 as do Tucker and Len which has each of them tied for 8th highest in the league. Chriss and Booker both have 8 which ties them for 18th.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I got the number from ESPN, it seemed really low but they're the only site I go to regularly that lists technicals. Regardless of what his number is though I think he's an influence on the rest of the team. He's been a leader of sorts since he's been here and is definitely a fiery player who doesn't hide his emotions at all during games.

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/984/tyson-chandler

Fox Sports also only has him credited with 4.

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/tyson-chandler-player-stats

OP
OP
A

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the number from ESPN, it seemed really low but they're the only site I go to regularly that lists technicals. Regardless of what his number is though I think he's an influence on the rest of the team. He's been a leader of sorts since he's been here and is definitely a fiery player who doesn't hide his emotions at all during games.

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/984/tyson-chandler

Fox Sports also only has him credited with 4.

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/tyson-chandler-player-stats

Well, I wonder if my source is the incorrect one? I'll do a little more research.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard