2023 Draft: What analytics say

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We seem to be talking a lot about the same players (this happens every draft) and then we draft a bunch of guys we never spoke about.

So with that in mind I thought I would have a look at guys that maybe aren't getting the hype that others are, or maybe getting too much hype, according to data analytics. In this case using Sports Info Solutions.

Cornerback

Emmanuel Forbes - Ranks 1st in yards per snap. Better in zone than man but he's not bad in man. Forbes is a name we all know but not getting the hype of guys like Banks.

Tyrique Stevenson - Stevenson is currently getting mocks in the 3rd but is ranked as SIS's 6th CB.

Jakorian Bennett - The guy that plays across from Banks. Currently getting 5th round grades Bennett is SIS's 7th ranked CB and is top 10 across many of their metrics. Also has the 4th highest RAS of all CB's.

Riley Moss - White CB's just feel wrong but Moss ranks 13th for SIS which is ahead of a lot of guys we have been linked with and makes it into their top 100. ALso had the 3rd highest RAS for CB in this class. Has 54 games and 39 starts. Ranks very highly for SIS in press, yards per snap and general coverage grades.

Edge

Nolan Smith - Smith is their #2 Edge and #6 overall player.

Byron Young - The other Byron Young. The Tennessee edge is their #8 Edge behind the usual suspects.

Viliami Fehoko - Vita Vea's 2nd cousin. Currently mocked as a 6th round guy SIS rank him top 5 in a number of categories including TFL per game, quick pressure %, Pressure rate above expected and run stopping. Had 9 sacks and 19 TFL's in '22.

Tuli Tuipulotu - SIS likes the polynesian guys I guess. Tuli ranks highly in a number of metrics but not so much in pressures. Their #10 Edge overall.

Defensive Tackle

No great surprises here with the top 5 being as expected (Carter, Kancey, Bresee, Van Ness, Adebawore) but plenty of names after that you probably haven't heard. I'm going to be a bit briefer here because this is taking too long to write :)

Colby Wooden - The versatile converted DE is their #5 DT. After starting as a DT he's mostly played DE but many see him as a tackle in the league.

Kobie Turner - Currently projected as a 3rd or 4th round pick SIS has the 6th year senior as their #6 DT and ranks him very highly vs the run.

Cory Durden - This is surely a new name for everyone. Durden is currently getting UDFA grades but SIS has him as their #10 DT.

Tyler Lacy - Another new name for most. The OU DT is currently getting 7th round grades but is SIS's #11 DT where again they rate him highly vs the run.

Nesta Jade Silvera - One for the ASU guys. Currently getting undrafted grades SIS thinks highly of him at NT.

Other names across defense that they have much higher are,

Yaya Diaby, Edge
PJ Mustipher, Nose
Moro Ojomo, DT
Jalen Redmond, DT
Rejzhon Wright, CB
Corey Mayfield Jr, CB

I'll add some names from the offensive side when I get time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Im hearing we will get Vita Vea in the 6th round, this is great!

There's not much film around for Fehoko on Youtube but what there is shows a great motor and a guy thats relentless. Has a nice spin move too. TFL machine. Always seems to be in the backfield.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
The analytics also say Revis, AR15 are better draft picks than Bennett who some deem a day 3 pick, some as far back as round 6. Complete garbage that people eat up on the internet. You can't tell me that Revis, Richardson are better passers than Stetson Bennett; a guy who kind of resembles Drew Brees. I get the size thing but someone in this draft is going to end up with a colossal bust at qb; they always do. And I bet it will not be Bennett.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. Some interesting players that could become Cardinals. I'm especially interested in the CBs as it is a big need for the Cards (actually I guess everything is a big need this year).

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let's have a look at some offensive options that stand out as being much higher than most mocks have them.

Keaton Mitchell, RB, ECU - Mitchell ranks top 5 in a number of categories. Broken tackles per 100 touches, Missed tackles per 100, Yards after contact per attempt, Pass blocking, Percentage of plays with an EPA of +1 or greater and general rushing grade. Mitchell has a 5th round grade but ranks highly in a lot of analytics metrics. Smaller guy though at 5'8" and 179lbs.

Tank Dell, WR, HOU - I'm a big Tank Dell fan and think mocks have him too low at WR10 in round 3. I think he's the most twitchy guy in the class and the best route runner. SIS agrees with high grades across the board.

Davis Allen, TE, Clemson - I'm a stacked TE class Davis Allen isn't a guy that's really been mentioned. Currently mocked as a 6th round guy SIS have him high in many metrics. They don't think he's a superstar but a solid value add.

Wanya Morris, T, OU - Morris is a guy that doesn't get a lot of play but that SIS see as Mr Reliable with the lowest % of blown blocks in the class. Also 7th in total pass blocking grade.

Anthony Bradford, G, LSU - Bradford is a 7th round guy in mocks but SIS like him as their 6th ranked Guard. They rate him top 5 in a number of pass pro and run blocking metrics. Has apparently met with the Titans, Vikings, Chiefs, Panthers and Seahawks so I reckon that 7th round grade might be wrong.

Olusegun Oluwatimi, C, Mich - I'm not sure why this guy isn't getting more talk because he's a good player and had a good senior bowl. Won both the Outland and Rimington trophies for best IOL and best Center. Currently with 4th round grades SIS has him as #4 Center over guys like Luke Wypler. He's a big mean dude and SIS has him either #1 or #2 in nearly all their metrics. He's also only 6' 2" for Kyler to see over.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Let's have a look at some offensive options that stand out as being much higher than most mocks have them.

Keaton Mitchell, RB, ECU - Mitchell ranks top 5 in a number of categories. Broken tackles per 100 touches, Missed tackles per 100, Yards after contact per attempt, Pass blocking, Percentage of plays with an EPA of +1 or greater and general rushing grade. Mitchell has a 5th round grade but ranks highly in a lot of analytics metrics. Smaller guy though at 5'8" and 179lbs.

Tank Dell, WR, HOU - I'm a big Tank Dell fan and think mocks have him too low at WR10 in round 3. I think he's the most twitchy guy in the class and the best route runner. SIS agrees with high grades across the board.

Davis Allen, TE, Clemson - I'm a stacked TE class Davis Allen isn't a guy that's really been mentioned. Currently mocked as a 6th round guy SIS have him high in many metrics. They don't think he's a superstar but a solid value add.

Wanya Morris, T, OU - Morris is a guy that doesn't get a lot of play but that SIS see as Mr Reliable with the lowest % of blown blocks in the class. Also 7th in total pass blocking grade.

Anthony Bradford, G, LSU - Bradford is a 7th round guy in mocks but SIS like him as their 6th ranked Guard. They rate him top 5 in a number of pass pro and run blocking metrics. Has apparently met with the Titans, Vikings, Chiefs, Panthers and Seahawks so I reckon that 7th round grade might be wrong.

Olusegun Oluwatimi, C, Mich - I'm not sure why this guy isn't getting more talk because he's a good player and had a good senior bowl. Won both the Outland and Rimington trophies for best IOL and best Center. Currently with 4th round grades SIS has him as #4 Center over guys like Luke Wypler. He's a big mean dude and SIS has him either #1 or #2 in nearly all their metrics. He's also only 6' 2" for Kyler to see over.
I hear scouts talk about Oluwatimi more than draftniks.

I think he's not as high because hes smaller.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hear scouts talk about Oluwatimi more than draftniks.

I think he's not as high because hes smaller.

Are we fussed about Center height? I think it's an advantage being a little shorter.

His arms are 32.75 and he's 309lbs. Both more than good enough.

Really should be in the C talk for us. Should be there in the 3rd.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Are we fussed about Center height? I think it's an advantage being a little shorter.

His arms are 32.75 and he's 309lbs. Both more than good enough.

Really should be in the C talk for us. Should be there in the 3rd.
Brett Kollman was talking about the center class and the Cardinals and he was saying that all is not lost if you miss out on Schmitz because this is actually a fair good one.

Tippmann is my second favorite, but his hand placement kind of sucks, that's why he's not a early day two guy. He is big strong and athletic.

Zavala is a guy everyone is going crazy for and Kollman thinks he's a center candidate too.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave