Tall Tales of Paul Goldschmidt

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Paul Goldschmidt's mom has a tatoo that reads: "Son"

Paul Goldschmidt once got hit by a train, the train did not survive...

Paul Goldschmidt is the reason Aliens dont invade earth.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stats so far:

14 games
12-for-44, .273 BA
3 home runs, 2 doubles, 4 walks, 20ks, 9 RBI
.333 OBP
.523 SLG
.856 OPS

If he did this over the course of a season it would equate to:

139 hits, 35 HRs, 104 RBIs

That's pretty much what you want from a corner infielder.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Looks like those numbers were before tonight's game and he should be getting a boost to those numbers based on tonight's performance. Of course you can't rely on making projections based on a small sample size, but it would be nice if he could maintain the pace over the course of the season.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like those numbers were before tonight's game and he should be getting a boost to those numbers based on tonight's performance. Of course you can't rely on making projections based on a small sample size, but it would be nice if he could maintain the pace over the course of the season.

Pretty sure I got up-to-date numbers

Homer Simpson

All Star
Reaction score
He might consider it in the future.

'Looks like our 1B weakness has worked out just in time, with the platoon of Overbay vs. righties and Goldschmidt vs. lefties (and perhaps vs. some righties to not wear out Overbay).

So we now have a platoon at four positions -- C, 1B, 2B (with Roberts sliding over from 3B) and LF.

It is reminiscent of the Miracle '69 Mets, who platooned at four positions for the whole season at 1B, 2B, 3B and RF.

It was ironic in their World Series victory that the Orioles started lefties in four of the five games. The Mets less-used RH hitting platoon came through. Two of the four were veterans and another one was a previously seldom used sub.

Can our current team be the Miracle '11 Diamondbacks, led by two strong starting pitchers (just as those Mets were led by Seaver and Koosman)?

As their closer Tug McGraw (Tim McGraw's father) said, "Ya gotta believe."

How exactly do the Diamondbacks have a platoon at catcher?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
How exactly do the Diamondbacks have a platoon at catcher?
Henry Blanco, who is twelve years older than Miggy and bats righty (to Miggy's lefty) has started quite a few games vs. lefty starters.

It is not a complete platoon, but it has happened often enough, especially as the season has worn on. Just as Bloomquist was starting in LF vs. lefty pitchers before he took over SS. Now it is Cowgill. We're better off with Parra all the time.

Homer Simpson

All Star
Reaction score
Henry Blanco, who is twelve years older than Miggy and bats righty (to Miggy's lefty) has started quite a few games vs. lefty starters.

That's not really a platoon. That's a backup catcher that starts every once in a while (usually once a week), to give the starting catcher a rest from the physical demands of the position. Gibson just times it with the lefty starter for better matchups.

Montero actually has more plate appearances versus lefties than Blanco has total PA's.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Paul Goldschmidt impressed me, despite being called out on strikes, leaving runners on 2nd and 3rd vs. the Padres.

Why? Because, despite his lack of experience, he is not going to fall into the trap of lunging for pitches outside the strike zone as some of our veterans do.

Two of the three strikes in his first at-bat were outside the zone and Goldy didn't bite. It cost him some RBI's now, but will help him in the long run when the umps decide that this rookie is for real.

Y'know, the ol' Ted Williams concept. If he didn't swing at it, it wasn't a strike. 'Very impressive for a young player rushed up from the Minors into a pennant race. Especially after all of the other 1B we've gone through this season.

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
Cliff Lee only gave up 2 runs in the month of August, a 2-run HR by Goldschmidt.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, ESPN's Keith Law is drinking some really potent haterade.

ESPN analyst Keith Law tends to be a voice of reason in the baseball media when he believes players or teams are being overhyped, which is what he thinks is going on with first baseman Paul Goldschmidt. The other day on Twitter, he said Goldschmidt is “rapidly becoming overrated,” and he expanded on his viewpoint in this morning’s Baseball Today podcast.
“He’s got power,” Law said. “That’s all he’s got. He’s not a defender. He does not have great bat speed. He’s hit some home runs off of impressive names. To me, that’s anecdotal. If you want to take one step back he’s got a .310 on-base percentage.

“If he guesses right on a fastball – he can cheat on a fastball and he’s got plus-plus power – if he guesses right and gets a mistake, he’s going to hit it out. A player like that can play in the big leagues for a long time. It doesn’t make him an above-average regular. It doesn’t make him a star. I don’t think he’s going to be that.

“I’ve talked to a lot of scouts and front-office guys about Goldschmidt and the consensus is pretty similar. Bench guy, platoon guy, it’s power but it’s nothing else. I know he’s supposed to be a great kid with a great work ethic. The Diamondbacks guys absolutely love him. At the end of the day, it’s hard to stay in the big leagues as an above-average everyday player – as a solid average everyday player – if you don’t have good bat speed.

“He’s going to have to really run into a lot of mistakes or just become a good cheat hitter. Every once in a while you get a guy who can cheat on enough fastballs. By cheat, I don’t mean he’s injecting himself with steroids before every at-bat. Cheating on a fastball is starting your bat a little bit earlier. Essentially guessing fastball. You start your bat early. If you end up getting a fastball, it’s a great result. Every once in a while we get a guy who can hang around like that. I’m not going to bet on Goldschmidt being that guy. I think he stays in the big leagues, I think he’s got tantalizing power, but the other elements aren’t there to make him an above-average regular.”
http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/NickPiecoro/140873

Let's just go ahead and assume he's way off. :D

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've certainly enjoyed what Goldschmidt has done, but I haven't gone all in with him, either. Let's see what he does over a full year. I agree that a .310 OBP won't cut it as an everyday corner fielder.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not an expert on what he's saying about bat speed, but I don't really see him being a poor defender. He seems like he's a fairly athletic guy who can make the plays he needs to. Obviously since he plays first he's going to have to hit a ton though.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not an expert on what he's saying about bat speed, but I don't really see him being a poor defender. He seems like he's a fairly athletic guy who can make the plays he needs to. Obviously since he plays first he's going to have to hit a ton though.

I've seen him make some great plays at 1B

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score

It is all about range. He seems to have a good glove (which was actually pretty bad in the minors but he has worked hard to fix it) but he isn't able to get to a ton of balls. It is the Derek Jeter effect. Jeter is a terrible defender because he can't get to anything. When he makes a play that looks great it should be an easy out for a decent defender.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is all about range. He seems to have a good glove (which was actually pretty bad in the minors but he has worked hard to fix it) but he isn't able to get to a ton of balls. It is the Derek Jeter effect. Jeter is a terrible defender because he can't get to anything. When he makes a play that looks great it should be an easy out for a decent defender.
Sure I agree with all of that, I'm just unconvinced that he lacks adequate range to be an everyday guy. I'm not expecting a superstar, but I think that Law is being way too quick with "bench player."

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
Sure I agree with all of that, I'm just unconvinced that he lacks adequate range to be an everyday guy. I'm not expecting a superstar, but I think that Law is being way too quick with "bench player."

His defense isn't the reason Klaw is saying he is a bench guy. He is saying it because of his bat. Klaw points to his lack of getting on base (that is his number one thing he looks for in players). I think Klaw is wrong but I also know that I am a D-Backs fan so I am not looking at this rationally. We haven't seen enough of Goldschmidt to get a true idea of what he is and what he will become.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I've certainly enjoyed what Goldschmidt has done, but I haven't gone all in with him, either. Let's see what he does over a full year. I agree that a .310 OBP won't cut it as an everyday corner fielder.

Maybe he should play CF then, as we seem to believe a .310 OBP works for that position... ;)

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
FWIW, his OBP is actually .320 at present, with an OPS of .795... And his defense has been nothing short of impressively solid.
For a call-up from AA, I think he has acquitted himself extremely well, expecially when you factor in the pressure that comes with a pennant race! It's not like he got called up from double A for a team that we 20 games out of the race... Great job Goldy!!! Looking forward to what you can bring to the table next season and for many years down the road!! :thumbup:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard