Tall Tales of Paul Goldschmidt

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AKA the official Down on the Farm thread - 2011 edition. I guess it was time to unsticky the old one. :)

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Goldshmidt cracked his 23rd home run on Friday night, giving him a line of .324/.444/.653/1.096, with 57 runs and 65 RBIs along with a near even 58 Ks to 55 walks. Now that they're past the all star break, I'd like to see him give AAA a try. I know that its such an offensive league which will skew his numbers, but the quality of pitching he'll see will be improved as well.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Goldshmidt cracked his 23rd home run on Friday night, giving him a line of .324/.444/.653/1.096, with 57 runs and 65 RBIs along with a near even 58 Ks to 55 walks. Now that they're past the all star break, I'd like to see him give AAA a try. I know that its such an offensive league which will skew his numbers, but the quality of pitching he'll see will be improved as well.

I've heard that AA is better.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I've heard that AA is better as well. However, even though Kevin Towers mentioned he'd bring up a player from A-ball if he was ready, he also mentioned that he'd prefer to have him go to AAA first. This was on the Doug and Wolf show a couple weeks ago...If that's the next step for him, then let's get it going because I'd love to see him in the Majors soon.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Baseball America's Top 10 list from back in January:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/toda...ganization-top-10-prospects/2011/2611157.html

Amazing how quickly Goldschmidt is climbing the list, you'd probably have to put him 3rd if you were to do it right now. Crushing AA ball will do that.

I think Charles Brewer should be in the Top 10, the kid has played well at every level in the minors. I think he is close to being ML ready, could help in the bullpen as he was a pretty good reliever back at ASU or could replace Duke or Collmenter if we are being patient with Parker.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Goldschmidt didn't look ready in the Futures game. Needs more time. Also missed a couple few chances to dig out balls in the dirt. Skaggs looked pretty good though.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Per Rotoworld:

Double-A Mobile's Paul Goldschmidt smacked his 26th homer on Wednesday.
Back in June, Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers suggested that Goldschmidt was a candidate for a call-up around this time. Carrying a .311/432/.629 batting line, the 23-year-old is certainly someone to keep in mind, especially with Arizona's disappointing production from first basemen this season.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Per Rotoworld:

Double-A Mobile's Paul Goldschmidt smacked his 26th homer on Wednesday.
Back in June, Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers suggested that Goldschmidt was a candidate for a call-up around this time. Carrying a .311/432/.629 batting line, the 23-year-old is certainly someone to keep in mind, especially with Arizona's disappointing production from first basemen this season.
:thumbup:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Goldschmidt didn't look ready in the Futures game. Needs more time. Also missed a couple few chances to dig out balls in the dirt. Skaggs looked pretty good though.
Just needed a couple more weeks. Looks ready now. :)

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
Geez, why did we call this guy up. 2 out RBI's, who needs that.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Geez, why did we call this guy up. 2 out RBI's, who needs that.
Yup, Goldie will be fine. He's shown more intelligence at the plate so far than Young, Johnson and even Upton, who hasn't shown the ability to blow bubbles and think at the same time or, in the the case of Young, suck on his pacifier-necklace and think at the same time.

That being the case, I just wish that Gibby would move Goldy up in the batting order to help him get off to a better start while acclimating to Major League pitching.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Yup, Goldie will be fine. He's shown more intelligence at the plate so far than Young, Johnson and even Upton, who hasn't shown the ability to blow bubbles and think at the same time or, in the the case of Young, suck on his pacifier-necklace and think at the same time.

That being the case, I just wish that Gibby would move Goldy up in the batting order to help him get off to a better start while acclimating to Major League pitching.

I've always wondered what you have against Upton. Yes, he can be a little emotional. And yes, he does make mistakes from time to time. (Find me an athlete that doesn't.) But he's still young. Most players at his age are still going through the system and he's been in the majors since he was 19. So we've been watching him mature as a player. Going through his ups and downs.

He's a legit MVP candidate with a couple of warts. If not for Upton I think the Dbacks would be fighting it out for the bottom half of the division.

I think you'd find a way to criticize him if one of his batting gloves wasn't as tight as the other.

DutchmanAZ

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Goldy better figure out how to hit a curve ball. Struck out 3 times last night - the first one was 3 straight curve balls, the 2nd two at bats were also mainly curve balls - at least strike 3 was.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Goldy better figure out how to hit a curve ball. Struck out 3 times last night - the first one was 3 straight curve balls, the 2nd two at bats were also mainly curve balls - at least strike 3 was.

he needs Jobu!

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, but he struck out intelligently. Kidding, only kidding, could not resist. The slams on Upton was wildly entertaining to me.

DutchmanAZ

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
After the first strike out, and a new pitcher was brought in, the catcher went to the mound as Goldy was coming up to bat. First pitch - curve ball....second pitch...curve ball. Hmmm.. I wonder what the conversation was about? ;)

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
After the first strike out, and a new pitcher was brought in, the catcher went to the mound as Goldy was coming up to bat. First pitch - curve ball....second pitch...curve ball. Hmmm.. I wonder what the conversation was about? ;)

I have faith that he'll make the adjustments to a major league curve ball... However, I'll admit to being a bit surprised that he dominated AA as much as he did while being so apparently lost as to how to deal with the curve... wow! :shock:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have faith that he'll make the adjustments to a major league curve ball... However, I'll admit to being a bit surprised that he dominated AA as much as he did while being so apparently lost as to how to deal with the curve... wow! :shock:
Ah, those AA curveballs, not exactly the major league curveballs.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Ah, those AA curveballs, not exactly the major league curveballs.

No doubt... However, that was Sosa's first start in the majors last night. I know he was fresh from AAA, but, c'mon..... is there really that big of a delta?? Had Goldy never seen a curve ball in AA??

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard