Tall Tales of Paul Goldschmidt

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No doubt... However, that was Sosa's first start in the majors last night. I know he was fresh from AAA, but, c'mon..... is there really that big of a delta?? Had Goldy never seen a curve ball in AA??

Is that a rhetorical question? :) Many players have had trouble learning to deal with the major league curveball.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Is that a rhetorical question? :) Many players have had trouble learning to deal with the major league curveball.

I know... just not sure those "many players" were guys hitting .300 and leading the league in HR's and RBI!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Friend of mine, who went to same college as Goldie, just pointed out that Texas State's teams are the Bobcats, just like Baxter :)

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Friend of mine, who went to same college as Goldie, just pointed out that Texas State's teams are the Bobcats, just like Baxter :)

Oh. You mean that's a real college? I thought it was someplace he made up and put on his resume, not expecting people to check out its veracity.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh. You mean that's a real college? I thought it was someplace he made up and put on his resume, not expecting people to check out its veracity.

LMAO - yes, real college. In the Southland conference, moving to the WAC next year

DutchmanAZ

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Wow...he sure can hit the hell out of a fastball now can't he? Fouled off a few curve balls as well.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know Goldy is a rookie and all, but should you pitch to Cody Ransom and Colin Cowgill instead? Ha ha, Cliff Lee!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know Goldy is a rookie and all, but should you pitch to Cody Ransom and Colin Cowgill instead? Ha ha, Cliff Lee!

Seriously, if you were Cliff Lee would you show fear of a rookie?

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cliff Lee threw a meatball right down the middle to him So overrated.

I'm watching the game, so yeah, I agree he didn't show him much respect. I don't get the overrated comment???

Steve

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm watching the game, so yeah, I agree he didn't show him much respect. I don't get the overrated comment???

Steve
My personal thought on Lee. :)

Man, Goldy has some strong at bats against Halladay and Lee.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Seriously, if you were Cliff Lee would you show fear of a rookie?

Steve
He might consider it in the future.

'Looks like our 1B weakness has worked out just in time, with the platoon of Overbay vs. righties and Goldschmidt vs. lefties (and perhaps vs. some righties to not wear out Overbay).

So we now have a platoon at four positions -- C, 1B, 2B (with Roberts sliding over from 3B) and LF.

It is reminiscent of the Miracle '69 Mets, who platooned at four positions for the whole season at 1B, 2B, 3B and RF.

It was ironic in their World Series victory that the Orioles started lefties in four of the five games. The Mets less-used RH hitting platoon came through. Two of the four were veterans and another one was a previously seldom used sub.

Can our current team be the Miracle '11 Diamondbacks, led by two strong starting pitchers (just as those Mets were led by Seaver and Koosman)?

As their closer Tug McGraw (Tim McGraw's father) said, "Ya gotta believe."

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Oh that. Yeah, I agree, Travis Lee was overrated. Upton and Goldie could really add some life to this lineup for the next 20 years.

Steve

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Hard not to be impressed with his maturity at the plate. Going from AA to the bigs is one thing, but doing so and showning incredible poise and maturity at the plate is entirely another.
Yea - he has a bunch of K's. However, with the exception of a few, they have all come after an impressive battle. His 3 dingers and 9 RBI is kinda nice too, along with his impressive defense at first base!! ;)

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's pretty obvious his K's will drop with time because he takes a lot of pitches and shows a willingness to go deep into the count. He's doing it now because he's looking for fastballs, but that's not the worst strategy to have -- especially against a guy who likes to work the corners with a lot of fastballs like Lee.