Suns @ Spurs game thread 11-5-17

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
What the heck is with the 3rd qtr and these Sun's!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to see Warren bounce back from injury to score 17 points and grab 5 rebounds.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flush it and move on.

Until the game tomorrow night against the Nets.

The schedule has been brutal.

I heard Triano didn't even know the Suns played tomorrow at home because he was focused on the Spurs.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hate to ask but why is Len only playing 20min a game. And who was trying to guard Aldridge? Probably Len.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hate to ask but why is Len only playing 20min a game. And who was trying to guard Aldridge? Probably Len.

Len did try to guard Aldridge on occasion.

Didn't get a chance to watch the entire the game. Obviously it was a bad match-up for the Suns.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I think it was a good learning experience for the team... now they know you have to come out ready to play in the third quarter even when you have a lead. At least they rallied enough in the fourth to play them even. I expect the other good teams will school them in much the same way this season but that is exactly what they need - as long as they keep fighting I'm happy. I imagine Triano learned a bit as well, butting heads with the master.

I was a little disappointed in Ulis - his floor game was good but he rushed his shots - you have to learn to cope with good defense. I'm pretty confident he'll adjust.

You don't want to flush it and move on - you want to gain as much knowledge as you can and move on.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anyone here think Doncic could play pg?

Like it was said he is a PG and really good one at that. His defense is average at best but on offensive he's a monster already and he's like 6'7-6'8 hes a complete mismatch on the offensive side of the floor

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Seriously, for those who haven't seen him play, it is really difficult to explain just how good he is offensively. It's really like Dragic and Booker in one player, but with better passing. He is flat-out amazing offensively. His D is really bad. Steve Nash-level bad, but his offensive game is just unbelievable.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously, for those who haven't seen him play, it is really difficult to explain just how good he is offensively. It's really like Dragic and Booker in one player, but with better passing. He is flat-out amazing offensively. His D is really bad. Steve Nash-level bad, but his offensive game is just unbelievable.

I can hardly wait for those screams of "goal" every time he scores. :)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He might be the first taken this year. I think he is 6-6, not 6-8, but I could be wrong. I imagine he is still growing.

I was trying to think of a player to compare him to. He is like LeBron but not quite the same size or frame (or defense). He is like Magic, but not quite as big and a better shooter.

He is a 6-6 Steve Nash. That's the best comparison I can think of. The shooting, the passing, the creativity, the court awareness and vision. Not the fastest guy on the court, but fast. Not the most athletic, but athletic. Very smart. Knows exactly where to be at all times.

If he could develop even a little defense, he would be just absolutely amazing.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He might be the first taken this year. I think he is 6-6, not 6-8, but I could be wrong. I imagine he is still growing.

I was trying to think of a player to compare him to. He is like LeBron but not quite the same size or frame (or defense). He is like Magic, but not quite as big and a better shooter.

He is a 6-6 Steve Nash. That's the best comparison I can think of. The shooting, the passing, the creativity, the court awareness and vision. Not the fastest guy on the court, but fast. Not the most athletic, but athletic. Very smart. Knows exactly where to be at all times.

Man this just fuels my urge to tank. We need a pg and a big. And the projected (does that help many of you?) top 5 prospects is teeming with just those types.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

You know, I wanted to make that comparison, but Nash was so damn good that I hesitate to compare anyone to Nash. Doncic might be as close as I have ever seen. I do not think that he will develop a little defense. He just doesn't have the lateral quickness to stay in front of anyone. You could hide him on a spot-up shooter, but then you really need good defenders at 2 and 3 spots.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You know, I wanted to make that comparison, but Nash was so damn good that I hesitate to compare anyone to Nash.

Agreed. Nash's ball handling, court vision, passing skills and unselfishness are almost impossible to match.

I do not think that he will develop a little defense. He just doesn't have the lateral quickness to stay in front of anyone. You could hide him on a spot-up shooter, but then you really need good defenders at 2 and 3 spots.

Disagreed.

Doncic is not such a terrible defender. I saw a couple slowenian NT games and eye-test (which might be of course wrong) doesn't deny that.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

His effort and awareness are definitely there and although he will never be Bruce Bowen or Tony Allen, I wouldn't be surprised if he would develop into an average NBA defender.

The closest comparison that I can come up with is Booker himself (with his recently improved defense (or defensive effort) with more passing.

If Josh Jackson could develop into an athletic, versatile, defensive-minded swingman then Doncic, Booker and Jackson could form a solid triumvirate: a creator that can shoot, a shooter that can create, and a do it all defender who can cover the defensive liabilities of the former two.

Add one of Bagley, Ayton, Bamba and Robert Williams and the rebuilding seems to be finished if the evaluation and player development are proper.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Agreed. Nash's ball handling, court vision, passing skills and unselfishness are almost impossible to match.

Disagreed.

Doncic is not such a terrible defender. I saw a couple slowenian NT games and eye-test (which might be of course wrong) doesn't deny that.

His effort and awareness are definitely there and although he will never be Bruce Bowen or Tony Allen, I wouldn't be surprised if he would develop into an average NBA defender.

The closest comparison that I can come up with is Booker himself (with his recently improved defense (or defensive effort) with more passing.

If Josh Jackson could develop into an athletic, versatile, defensive-minded swingman then Doncic, Booker and Jackson could form a solid triumvirate: a creator that can shoot, a shooter that can create, and a do it all defender who can cover the defensive liabilities of the former two.

Add one of Bagley, Ayton, Bamba and Robert Williams and the rebuilding seems to be finished if the evaluation and player development are proper.

I really like the kid, so I definitely hope your assessment of his defense is correct, and that mine is wrong.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Disagreed.

You do realize what you just concocted has us somehow coming away from this draft with doncic AND one of those bigs. I don’t know how that’s possible considering there’s a good chance we don’t have even a single pick high enough to get one of them. We might just get Robert Williams with our pick and some other dreck with the Miami and longshot bucks pick.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You do realize what you just concocted has us somehow coming away from this draft with doncic AND one of those bigs. I don’t know how that’s possible considering there’s a good chance we don’t have even a single pick high enough to get one of them. We might just get Robert Williams with our pick and some other dreck with the Miami and longshot bucks pick.

Yes, I do realize that's optimism or even wishful thinking.

But once in a lifetime even the Suns might get lucky. Even if that happens, we still need to acquire a lottery pick (probably in 8-10 range at the latest) unless MIA stays under 50%.

I would listen to offers for Warren, Chriss and even Bender and/or would try to combine them with MIA and MIL picks.
In the Trey Burke-trade #14 and #21 did net #9 so even MIA and MIL picks might get us a mid-late lottery pick.

The 2018 draft seems one of the best in recent years so I would try speed-up our rebuilding via moving assets for (higher) picks.