Suns sign Stro Swift

OP
OP
L

lou_skywalker

Registered
Reaction score
I guess people have nothing better to say until Stromile actually PLAYS tonight :p

Errntknght

Reaction score
Actually I should add air is made up of 16% Oxygen, 1% Hydrogen, and 78% Nitrogen. Yes, there may be some CO2 in the air you breathe but it is minute.

Sheesh, why would you bother to say something like that when you can get it right with so little effort. CO2 is the fourth largest component of air at about .04% while hydrogen is way down the list at .00000055% - less than 1 ppm. For Pete's sake, you can't have a significant amount of hydrogen mixed with lots of oxygen because they spontaneously combine to form water. The only number you got right was nitrogen - oxygen forms 21% of air. All of those figures are for dry air because the water vapor content is extremely variable - up to about 5% near the earth's surface.

Luckily for all of us there is a fair amount of CO2 because it is absolutely necessary for green plant life - plants 'inhale' CO2 and 'exhale' oxygen.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sheesh, why would you bother to say something like that when you can get it right with so little effort. CO2 is the fourth largest component of air at about .04% while hydrogen is way down the list at .00000055% - less than 1 ppm. For Pete's sake, you can't have a significant amount of hydrogen mixed with lots of oxygen because they spontaneously combine to form water. The only number you got right was nitrogen - oxygen forms 21% of air. All of those figures are for dry air because the water vapor content is extremely variable - up to about 5% near the earth's surface.

Luckily for all of us there is a fair amount of CO2 because it is absolutely necessary for green plant life - plants 'inhale' CO2 and 'exhale' oxygen.

Wiki answers messed me up. :D

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_chemical_formula_of_air

sunsfn

Reaction score
Swift can be an excellent player IF HE WANTS TO BE!

He has always been lazy and has lost minutes because of that.

He has all the tools to be a good player in this system, but he is out of shape and it may take him some time to get in shape.

Still a good signing for the money, and hopefully he thinks about playing hard to get a contract somewhere next year.

nowagimp

Reaction score

Pretty accurate assessment except that plants breathe in CO2 in daytime and O2 at nightime. In balance they use much less oxygen than CO2, which is very good for us. But nonetheless pretty good, you sound like you had some science education past high school.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/gen01/gen01854.htm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
But nonetheless pretty good, you sound like you had some science education past high school.

I would imagine he did, but let's be real: knowing that plants metabolize CO2 in exchange for oxygen is junior-high stuff.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would imagine he did, but let's be real: knowing that plants metabolize CO2 in exchange for oxygen is junior-high stuff.

Excuse me Doogie Howser, but I think you are underestimating the education received by the "normal" kids in this country. That stuff is taught in elementary school.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Excuse me Doogie Howser, but I think you are underestimating the education received by the "normal" kids in this country. That stuff is taught in elementary school.

Ah, cut me some slack. I was in elementary school about 75 years ago and don't remember it that well.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score

That depends where you're talking about. I was in Cleveland until about age 7, and moved to Southern California after that. I wasn't taught anything about any of that stuff until 7th grade, which is Junior High here.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Just because both of them are athletic doesn't mean he is anything like Amare.

That said, to bring in an athletic 6'10" guy with a 7'3" wingspan who can run with us is a huge plus. Are front line was extremely thin and if Swift can come in defend a little and pull down some defensive boards at a decent rate he is a great addition. If he can't he is next to useless.

It will be fun to watch him and see what he can contribute. I think he will be motivated (his next contract depends on it) and excited to play to play in this system. But I think it's a decent get for this late in the season.

My thoughts exactly. It's better than getting noone.

nowagimp

Reaction score

I was more referring to the high reactivity of H2 and O2. That is not JR high stuff. Its needs a spark, but there is plenty of that in the upper atmosphere. Maybe I am just reacting to the awful science education in the USA (my expectations are low), as I went to undergrad and grad school with alot of foreign nationals and they kick the asses of the US students, mostly. I also was a TA, and saw alot of clueless premeds and prelaw students when it comes to science.

Last edited:

zett

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I was more referring to the high reactivity of H2 and O2. That is not JR high stuff. Its needs a spark, but there is plenty of that in the upper atmosphere. Maybe I am just reacting to the awful science education in the USA (my expectations are low), as I went to undergrad and grad school with alot of foreign nationals and they kick the asses of the US students, mostly. I also was a TA, and saw alot of clueless premeds and prelaw students when it comes to science.

So, do they know the probability of boris going from giving effort in 1 out of 8 games with us, to 7 out of 8 for the Bobcat?

nowagimp

Reaction score
So, do they know the probability of boris going from giving effort in 1 out of 8 games with us, to 7 out of 8 for the Bobcat?

Actually Larry Brown has reclaimed many a talented player off the scrap heap, the probability is kinda high. Since the trade, the cats were 19-17, after a 7-18 start the last time I checked. And that includes several victories against the top teams in the NBA. The cats are now closer than the suns to a playoff spot, abeit in the leastern conference. And this was with wallace, their top scorer missing multiple games.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Speaking of our education system, does anyone remember that beauty contestant talking about why a fifth of Americans can't locate the U.S. on a world map?

See link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww

Errntknght

Reaction score
Pretty accurate assessment except that plants breathe in CO2 in daytime and O2 at nightime. In balance they use much less oxygen than CO2, which is very good for us. But nonetheless pretty good, you sound like you had some science education past high school.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/gen01/gen01854.htm

Pretty accurate statement but check your own reference, it says plants either use left over oxygen at night or breathe it in. I guess the consensus in here would be that we both probably made it past 5th grade.

I was wrong about the spontaneous combination of hydrogen and oxygen - and just a week ago I read a book featuring the 'Hindenburg', which made it clear that it took a a flame or spark to ignite the combustion. I might as well confess to another error, which no one caught - the fraction of H2 in air is .00000055, no % sign.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Pretty accurate statement but check your own reference, it says plants either use left over oxygen at night or breathe it in. I guess the consensus in here would be that we both probably made it past 5th grade.

I was wrong about the spontaneous combination of hydrogen and oxygen - and just a week ago I read a book featuring the 'Hindenburg', which made it clear that it took a a flame or spark to ignite the combustion. I might as well confess to another error, which no one caught - the fraction of H2 in air is .00000055, no % sign.

Yeah I read the ref and understand the two processes of photosynthesis and sugar production, but what is the point of discussing that in a basketball forum, it went too far already. I noted your errors, there is no point in discussing them here, it just pisses people off as they get defensive. You did note(? hint hint) that I (without jabbing) mentioned that it "needed a spark" as spontaneous combustion does not need a spark, obviously. Hydrogen in air is expressed as 0.55ppmpv, parts per million, volume basis. There is also a weight basis, generally not used in gases, but mostly for vapors. % is never used with those low concentrations by scientists. And yes I did make it past my (5th grade) doctorate in chemistry.

Last edited:

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah does anyone know if Swift is going to be in uniform was a little disapointed he didn't play against Mami god knows we could have used him lol.... I just hope we don't give up 130 to the rockets tonight sigh