Suns sign Stro Swift

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pointed that out earlier, but was told it was just a formality. I thought other teams could sign a player off waivers ahead of us if they have a worse record. :shrug:

You're right Yuma. Don't listen to the others. :D

However, for another team to pick him off waivers, they would have to pay him the remaining salary owed him by the Nets. Not likely.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
just heard on espn, that SS is out of shape,
he hasnt been working out at all, and is still in bad shape over the death?????

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sounds like old news to me. He wants to join the Suns for tomorrow's game. Also, from what I read, he wanted get some serious playing time so the Nets let him go because he wasn't going to get any there.

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
He just lost his mother, how much of a factor can he be for this team? I really hope he comes out blazing, we could totally use a power forward right about now.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How ironic it is, considering how erntknight pointed out your silly manipulation of facts. I guess "a pig doesnt know that a pig stinks" is appropriate here.:D

Once again, you prove how distorted your supposed facts are. He pointed out how confusing it was....he didn't call me you.:D

Once again...don't let facts get in the way of your opinion. You never do.

P.S. Thanks for proving my point for me.

Last edited:

AceP

Registered
Reaction score

ESPN is Phoenix HATER now. They will downplay any positive thing for the Suns. No matter what, Griffin and Kerr are not dumb enough to bypass a physical before signing anyone. Especially with the tight financial situation, if they decided to spend money on Swift, he must be in a servicable condition.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Well, what was throwing me is that you gave the number for Swift at PF only. The guy only has 63 minutes total for the year so throwing out his data when he happens to be playing C (in some scorer's opinion) makes an already small base for statistics even more frail. Can't imagine why one would do that, but at least now I understand where your 7.7 came from.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
He just lost his mother, how much of a factor can he be for this team? I really hope he comes out blazing, we could totally use a power forward right about now.

in his best season he was a 12/6 player. he just lost his mother, he hasn't played much recently, and he's starting with a brand new team. i can't imagine he'll have any sort of serious impact on the team. we'll be better of sticking with the lineup we've been using, imo.

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
I assume he isn't going to hurt our odds of making the post-season, I just question if he could positively contribute or sit on the bench like Lopez, earning an unwarranted check.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, what was throwing me is that you gave the number for Swift at PF only. The guy only has 63 minutes total for the year so throwing out his data when he happens to be playing C (in some scorer's opinion) makes an already small base for statistics even more frail. Can't imagine why one would do that, but at least now I understand where your 7.7 came from.

It makes sense because he would probably play PF here and only sparingly be at the center position a la Amare. Also, I was looking at worst case scenario since we don't know if he will be used any more in a Phoenix uniform.

You do make a very good point and if you look at it based on last years numbers it does look better 12.2 per 48.

Last edited:

AceP

Registered
Reaction score
There is no way we should expect much out of Swift. With a little optimism, I'm hoping for 6+4 in about 20m, if we are lucky, maybe up to 5 rebounds, plus 1 block.

Also, I'm 100% sure Swift is times better than Lopez. Every time Lopez check in, you can put your money on a few fouls in a matter of seconds and out. We need any help we could get.

AceP

Registered
Reaction score
What exactly should we expect from Swift? Maybe a little comparation can help.

Worst : 3.8 + 2.2, 10 mpg. That is what he did for the Nets in 6 games early this season. The figures are tiny, but Dudley did worse.

Reasonable guess: 6 + 4, 15 to 20 mpg. That is already better than one of our key reserve, Amundson.

Best : 8 + 5, 20+ mpg. Wow, that is close to Barnes.

Sad but true, that is how desperately we need a 6-10 footer.

Reaction score
A Stromile Swift out of shape is still better than a Robin Lopez in shape.....We need a big man, Gooden and Smith are signing with contenders. Now there is SWift, Antoine Walker and Adonal Foyle on the market........Swift is the best choice !

AceP

Registered
Reaction score
If we talk about "out of shape", I can't imagine how fat Antoine Walker is right now ... Can anyone find a recent picture of him? ...

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score

I'm kind of hoping that this becomes a bonding factor between him, Babs and Barnes, and he uses some motivation from it and his new bonds, to play harder than he ever has, just as Babs himself has done.

nowagimp

Reaction score

Using swifts 63 mins as some kind of evaluation is a major statistical goof, no statistician would use that kind of incredibly small sample. Making that comparison cant possibly use the same basis of common opponents in a comparison, so its likely to be invalid. Its also invalid to use his first 5 years and assume he is the same player after almost 10 years. Maybe he never got a chance to play in the right scenario(skilled teammates), and is going to produce nicely for the suns. I hope is is a force, but I dont think there is any evidence for that. When you play your whole career in garbage time(almost always losing big) the stats are unlikely to be representative as the opposing defense doesnt care what you do.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Using swifts 63 mins as some kind of evaluation is a major statistical goof, no statistician would use that kind of incredibly small sample. Making that comparison cant possibly use the same basis of common opponents in a comparison, so its likely to be invalid. Its also invalid to use his first 5 years and assume he is the same player after almost 10 years. Maybe he never got a chance to play in the right scenario(skilled teammates), and is going to produce nicely for the suns. I hope is is a force, but I dont think there is any evidence for that. When you play your whole career in garbage time(almost always losing big) the stats are unlikely to be representative as the opposing defense doesnt care what you do.

Nowagimp, nobody is saying he will do it. Show me where someone guaranteed it. There are indications he has the potential which was the point. Statistics are indicators nothing more. No stats person ignores statistical facts just because it doesn't support their view (a la you). Anything you read into after that are your false assumptions.

As usual though, don't let the facts get in your way.

Also, knowing you have not followed a guys career and make the huge leap that all of his time has come in garbage time is also most likely makes your assumptions "invalid". When a guy plays over 20 minutes per game and you play for teams that don't have a history of blowing teams out, it's less likely "all" of his time came in garbage time. It's more likely the last season and a half was garbage time. Look at his minutes per game. He played nearly 20 minutes per game every season up to that point. If you really want to know what garbage time is..look no further then our own Tucker and Lopez who average less then 10 MPG. That is garbage time.

Also, despite using a small sample of minutes for this season, if you had read his earlier post, it was stating that his PER for rebounding was much better than what I was posting. So, he was not disagreeing but stating that I was undervaluing his PER. When a player has produced his entire career at a certain level when given at least 20 minutes per game, it's not a statistical leap of faith to say he could probably do it again. Is it likely..... is another argument because his role has diminished over the last season and a half.

I personally am not banking on Swift doing anything here nor would I be surprised if he never got off the bench and played nothing but garbage time. However, unlike you, I was being objective by looking at his overall career and stating that he had potential. Maybe you didn't get that.

Last edited:

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I still remain optimistic that Stro will be able to positively contribute to this team if his head is in the right place. This kind of system allows players to use their athletic ability, which he is full of. How many of thought Sweet Lou would do anything for us this year besides be the next Marks/Burke? Ah forget it, set your expectations low, that way it'll feel better if he exceeds them, and not so bad if he doesn't.

Last edited:

nowagimp

Reaction score
Nowagimp, nobody is saying he will do it. Show me where someone guaranteed it. There are indications he has the potential which was the point. Statistics are indicators nothing more. No stats person ignores statistical facts just because it doesn't support their view (a la you). Anything you read into after that are your false assumptions.

As usual though, don't let the facts get in your way.

Also, knowing you have not followed a guys career and make the huge leap that all of his time has come in garbage time is also most likely makes your assumptions "invalid". When a guy plays over 20 minutes per game and you play for teams that don't have a history of blowing teams out, it's less likely "all" of his time came in garbage time. It's more likely the last season and a half was garbage time. Look at his minutes per game. He played nearly 20 minutes per game every season up to that point. If you really want to know what garbage time is..look no further then our own Tucker and Lopez who average less then 10 MPG. That is garbage time.

Also, despite using a small sample of minutes for this season, if you had read his earlier post, it was stating that his PER for rebounding was much better than what I was posting. So, he was not disagreeing but stating that I was undervaluing his PER. When a player has produced his entire career at a certain level when given at least 20 minutes per game, it's not a statistical leap of faith to say he could probably do it again. Is it likely..... is another argument because his role has diminished over the last season and a half.

I personally am not banking on Swift doing anything here nor would I be surprised if he never got off the bench and played nothing but garbage time. However, unlike you, I was being objective by looking at his overall career and stating that he had potential. Maybe you didn't get that.

The facts are that no statistician("statistical person, what is that?) attributes relevancy to an incredibly small sample, but dont "let the statistical truth get in your way". Swift has always had the potential, he was 2nd overall pick in the draft. When I said garbage time, I meant that his team is always getting blown out, so no opponent cares if he produces, and he has played on the second unit mostly(<20mins a game), hence "garbage time". his rebounding numbers should be inflated because he was typically on poor rebounding teams. I want swift to be a good PF, I wish that were true, and will gladly be wrong if he produces. He cant be worse than playing robin lopez.:D

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The facts are that no statistician ("statistical person, what is that?) attributes relevancy to an incredibly small sample

He doesn't ignore it either and uses it combined with all other relevant data. Which is why I listed more then one factor. Again, the sample was just to show what he had done in limited time on the floor, nobody was trying to "define" his career on that single "sample" as you are insinuating and once again distorting what was said.

He cant be worse than playing robin lopez.:D

We agree on something. Every time I see Lopez on the floor I cringe.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always hated business statistics.

:hammer:

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Statistics are like mini-skirts, they give you good ideas but hide the most important parts - Ebbe Skovdahl

OP
OP
L

lou_skywalker

Registered
Reaction score
Statistics are like mini-skirts, they give you good ideas but hide the most important parts - Ebbe Skovdahl

See him actually playing on the court is like being naked, you see everything although it may conflict with your imagination. :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort