Rumor: Lakers Seeking Sign & Trade for CP3

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
What? What a strange attack. I didn’t ignore any facts at all. What fact am I ignoring?
“Attack?”

maybe all this time I’ve been misinterpreting your use of that word as your stating someone is making things personal. Surely that’s not an attack considering he said the exact same thing as you only swapping a single word.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
“Attack?”

maybe all this time I’ve been misinterpreting your use of that word as your stating someone is making things personal. Surely that’s not an attack considering he said the exact same thing as you only swapping a single word.
Thanks

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What? What a strange attack. I didn’t ignore any facts at all. What fact am I ignoring?

This is my original comment. Enough said.

The Suns released Tyson Chandler to go to the Lakers and even traded Steve Nash to them. Just saying.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Those suns teams (a) had those guys for at least a few years, (b) those guys were at the very very very VERY end of their careers, (c) we weren’t really a legit contender and thus the lakers weren’t a legit threat to us, and (d) EFF the lakers.
Nash wasn't done until he got to the Lakers. He was an all star his last year in phoenix.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nash wasn't done until he got to the Lakers. He was an all star his last year in phoenix.

Nash was done. He may have been an All-Star but that was more of a lifetime achievement selection than actually earned. Dirk, Kobe, and D Wade were all All-Stars in their final years also, not one of them truly earned it for their play in their final years.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Nash was done. He may have been an All-Star but that was more of a lifetime achievement selection than actually earned. Dirk, Kobe, and D Wade were all All-Stars in their final years also, not one of them truly earned it for their play in their final years.
Agreed. Nash wasn’t useless until the back but he wasn’t suns nash on his way out.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Let’s not get carried away. He was definitely headed down the hill but he averaged 10.7 assists, tied his career best total FG%, shot 58% from two, shot just under 40% from three and shot just under 90% from the FT line all in his last year in Phoenix. The most frustrating part of his game was he couldn’t stay in front of anyone on defense.

However, he played well enough to be an All-Star.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let’s not get carried away. He was definitely headed down the hill but he averaged 10.7 assists, tied his career best total FG%, shot 58% from two, shot just under 40% from three and shot just under 90% from the FT line all in his last year in Phoenix. The most frustrating part of his game was he couldn’t stay in front of anyone on defense.

However, he played well enough to be an All-Star.

And you can find similar numbers for guys who didn't make All Star teams. He did only average 12 ppg. That's like Jose Calderon numbers. He averaged 12.8 ppg, 8.9 apg, 50% from the field, 41% from 3, and 98% from the FT line in his best year, his 4th in the league. I guarantee no one called him an All-Star.

Its a good year for a player at the end of his career but I wouldn't say its worth of an All-Star nod.

Rubio probably has similar seasons statistically, albeit worse FG shooting but his defense was really good when he was young, which helps make up for the gap in FG%.

I love Nash. He's one of my favorite players of all time, not just as a Sun but that as well. Those numbers aren't worth an All-Star nod though, especially on a losing team.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And you can find similar numbers for guys who didn't make All Star teams. He did only average 12 ppg. That's like Jose Calderon numbers. He averaged 12.8 ppg, 8.9 apg, 50% from the field, 41% from 3, and 98% from the FT line in his best year, his 4th in the league. I guarantee no one called him an All-Star.

Its a good year for a player at the end of his career but I wouldn't say its worth of an All-Star nod.

Rubio probably has similar seasons statistically, albeit worse FG shooting but his defense was really good when he was young, which helps make up for the gap in FG%.

I love Nash. He's one of my favorite players of all time, not just as a Sun but that as well. Those numbers aren't worth an All-Star nod though, especially on a losing team.
More often than not someone who puts up those numbers is going to be at least considered. I didn’t say it’s never happened but I bet it’s only been a handful of times and even then there were likely other people who put up similar numbers that year that played on better teams.

He was not that far off pace. It’s not like he rode the pine or completely fell off the planet in terms of play just yet. Did he get special consideration? Probably but he did play for two more seasons were he really fell off pretty much a cliff. Also keep in mind All-Star nods are bit of a popularity contest verses absolute best player nods. I have not looked it up. Did he make all NBA that year? I wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t because the criteria is different.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
More often than not someone who puts up those numbers is going to be at least considered. I didn’t say it’s never happened but I bet it’s only been a handful of times and even then there were likely other people who put up similar numbers that year that played on better teams.

He was not that far off pace. It’s not like he rode the pine or completely fell off the planet in terms of play just yet. Did he get special consideration? Probably but he did play for two more seasons were he really fell off pretty much a cliff. Also keep in mind All-Star nods are bit of a popularity contest verses absolute best player nods. I have not looked it up. Did he make all NBA that year? I wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t because the criteria is different.

He really fell off after leaving and most Suns fans had an idea that would happen. He did play a lot that year and went all out but he just couldn't do what he did 4-5 years earlier. I'm not saying he sucked, just that is was pretty obvious watching him that it was time to call it a career.

No All-NBA nods. He received all 7 of those between 2001 and 2010.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He really fell off after leaving and most Suns fans had an idea that would happen. He did play a lot that year and went all out but he just couldn't do what he did 4-5 years earlier. I'm not saying he sucked, just that is was pretty obvious watching him that it was time to call it a career.

No All-NBA nods. He received all 7 of those between 2001 and 2010.
Figured as much. So it's really hard to say a guy that is that close didn't deserve to be there when popularity is a big part of the All-Star selection. Fans get to push whoever they like. They voted in Kobe after only playing six games. Yao Ming made it after a sub-par year and led the votes over better players. There were a couple years if I remember correctly Allan Iverson being a controversial pick. The All-Star game is a different beast.

If he had been chosen over someone with much better numbers and still made 1st team all NBA that would be different.

Last edited:

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I share the suspicion that the Suns and CP may already have a deal worked out. Given that CP wanted to come to Phoenix last year when the Lakers, Clippers, and Nuggets rosters were healthy, the Suns probably exceeded his expectations this year.

But if CP and LeBron are both hearing father time’s footsteps a bit more this off-season, I could see them viewing each other as the best chance to come out of the west and beat (presumably) Milwaukee or Brooklyn next year or maybe the year after.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
But if CP and LeBron are both hearing father time’s footsteps a bit more this off-season, I could see them viewing each other as the best chance to come out of the west and beat (presumably) Milwaukee or Brooklyn next year or maybe the year after.

This is what concerns me. And Lebron and CP3 would have a third superstar in AD to form a big three there, while Booker and CP3 do not have one here.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I share the suspicion that the Suns and CP may already have a deal worked out. Given that CP wanted to come to Phoenix last year when the Lakers, Clippers, and Nuggets rosters were healthy, the Suns probably exceeded his expectations this year.

This is my thinking as well. I mean you can't tell me CP3 was sure that this would take only one year to get to the Finals. Not that he didn't think it was possible. I am just saying he likely figured it would take some time to gel. So, his thinking IMO had to be multiyear and likely always planned on resigning here.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This can be put to bed, IMO. Marc Stein has come out and said the Suns have no plans to help facilitate a sign and trade to get Chris Paul to the Lakers.

“If the Suns are losing Chris Paul the last team they want to help is the Los Angeles Lakers," Stein said.

I know most felt that way already but I'm glad to see management has no interest in the pupu platter the Lakers would try sending us for Paul.

Fadeawayworld.net/nba-media/marc-stein-says-suns-wont-help-the-lakers-by-trading-chris-paul

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This can be put to bed, IMO. Marc Stein has come out and said the Suns have no plans to help facilitate a sign and trade to get Chris Paul to the Lakers.

“If the Suns are losing Chris Paul the last team they want to help is the Los Angeles Lakers," Stein said.

I know most felt that way already but I'm glad to see management has no interest in the pupu platter the Lakers would try sending us for Paul.

Fadeawayworld.net/nba-media/marc-stein-says-suns-wont-help-the-lakers-by-trading-chris-paul

the Lakers are stuck. They have zero trade assets. Nobody is trading you anything for Kuzma and THT. They can’t trade any first rounders for Like the next 8 years.

with Lebrons age and AD’s injury history I really don’t see them being a threat much longer

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Luckily they won’t get him because the Suns aren’t trading him for Kyle Kuzma.
My god i don't want kuzma u go on a laker forum and kuzma a top player always mention in trade rumors by la fans....

I know cp3 is old so trade will be hard... especially at 40 plus mill.... lol he is worth it

Just suns really need a barkley not that good but physical pf center to help ayton in poffs next yr and no giannis take over crap....

Will be very interesting to see what additions moves jones makes least suns have a capable hc....

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

CP3 can still sign there for the MLE and make up the difference with Lebron/Hollywood endorsements. At least the Suns are wise enough not to hamstring themselves by overpaying the likes of Dennis Schroeder, but this isn't entirely put to bed just yet.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CP3 can still sign there for the MLE and make up the difference with Lebron/Hollywood endorsements. At least the Suns are wise enough not to hamstring themselves by overpaying the likes of Dennis Schroeder, but this isn't entirely put to bed just yet.

He’s not making up 100 million dollars in endorsements. It’s not like he’s some 25 year stud who’s been playing in obscurity. He’s a 36 year old HOFer who is known to everyone to the extent he’s ever going to be and ALREADY got a massive State Farm endorsement deal without being in LA. This is just your overzealous fatalism talking as usual.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There’s a lot of talk that the Knicks are going to offer CP3 an ungodly contract.

no way he takes

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave