Suns sign Stro Swift

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Swift has pretty much been invisible for the last 4 years in the NBA, hasnt scored 8ppg in 5 years, and that was on some very bad teams. Over at spurs talk they are yucking it up. Here is a sample:

"Wow the suns bench is killa with Tragic, Stro, Louis and Robin.

That bench makes the 2004-05 Suns bench look like a all-star team"

I havent seen swift play in so long, I dont know what he will bring, but he has a rep of a very low BBall IQ.

Apparently those retards forgot to mention Barbosa and even Dudley. And Lou is a fantastic role-player.

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
Over at spurs talk they are yucking it up. Here is a sample:

"Wow the suns bench is killa with Tragic, Stro, Louis and Robin.

That bench makes the 2004-05 Suns bench look like a all-star team"

I can quote a Spurs fan over at Spurstalk too:
"I say, let's go for Swift !"

It's hardly a measure of high intelligence to sample Spurstalk. Plus, they are usually responding to some equally idiotic post by a Suns fan.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Start? Why in the world would anyone want to have him in the starting lineup when we already have Hill and Barnes who play better when they start - and are almost certainly more important to our success than Swift will ever be? The way Barnes has been playing of late I'd hate to see Gentry cut his minutes at all. Hill can spare a few, to keep him fresher for the playoffs but chemistry is key for this team so Alvin needs to work him into the mix with great care - assuming he plays well.

One of the big problems for the Suns has been losing ground whenever Nash sits but, hopefully, the way they've played without him the last few games has shown the players and coaches that there is a way around that problem. The foremost thing in Gentry's mind now should be to solidify that - and not get distracted by having a new 'toy'. Heck, they play four road games in the next six days so they won't have a practice for week and so Stromile shouldn't see the floor except at garbage time.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just because both of them are athletic doesn't mean he is anything like Amare.

That said, to bring in an athletic 6'10" guy with a 7'3" wingspan who can run with us is a huge plus. Are front line was extremely thin and if Swift can come in defend a little and pull down some defensive boards at a decent rate he is a great addition. If he can't he is next to useless.

It will be fun to watch him and see what he can contribute. I think he will be motivated (his next contract depends on it) and excited to play to play in this system. But I think it's a decent get for this late in the season.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK. What does this tell us?

1. Sarver is willing to spend a little to compete.
2. Suns are committed to the up tempo game. Stro's game fits much better with the running style than Gooden would.
3. Stro's game is a complement to Shaq's.

However, there is a reason he has been floating around. I doubt he will get many minutes. If he does, it will quickly become evident what his major weaknesses are.

Its better than nothing and at least shows a willingness to run and be athletic.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
OK. What does this tell us?

2. Suns are committed to the up tempo game. Stro's game fits much better with the running style than Gooden would.

However, there is a reason he has been floating around. I doubt he will get many minutes. If he does, it will quickly become evident what his major weaknesses are.

Its better than nothing and at least shows a willingness to run and be athletic.

His mother passed away not too long ago, like we've seen with both Barnes and Barbosa, players tend to struggle making the adjustment to living without the person who gave them birth.

If anything, barnes and barbs can help him out and be there for him in through a process that theyre not too long removed from.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Steeldog,
Rebounding
When Swift averages around 20 minutes per game is rebounding is at 5 rebounds per game. Which is not Amare's 8 (but that is pretty good considering Swift's limited minutes). He has only averaged over 20 minutes per game twice in his career. Compare that to Amare's 36.8 MPG this season. Swift gets about 7.7 rebounds (per 48).

You need to check your stats (or arithmetic) Steeldog - 5 rbs in 20 minutes equates to much more than 7.7 per 48. According to my stats, which I take from Doug's NBA stat site, Stromile's career average is 11.2/48 and in 07-08 his avg was 11.3. In his six games this year it was 9.9. (Amare for his career is 12.5/48)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Start? Why in the world would anyone want to have him in the starting lineup when we already have Hill and Barnes who play better when they start - and are almost certainly more important to our success than Swift will ever be? The way Barnes has been playing of late I'd hate to see Gentry cut his minutes at all. Hill can spare a few, to keep him fresher for the playoffs but chemistry is key for this team so Alvin needs to work him into the mix with great care - assuming he plays well.

One of the big problems for the Suns has been losing ground whenever Nash sits but, hopefully, the way they've played without him the last few games has shown the players and coaches that there is a way around that problem. The foremost thing in Gentry's mind now should be to solidify that - and not get distracted by having a new 'toy'. Heck, they play four road games in the next six days so they won't have a practice for week and so Stromile shouldn't see the floor except at garbage time.

Because you can see against better teams that we lack size. If you can insert a player into your starting lineup that can give you size yet you still remain athletic enough to run, that helps you on defense but doesn't slow down your offense. The guy was not brought in here to give you offensive punch either way and don't need that from him. We need to use his for rebounds and defense against bigger teams. Maybe just a matchup day start?

Swift might turn out to be a total stiff. It's worth the "test" IMO to see if he can. If he can't, he can provide some of the same things Diaw did off the bench. Possibly even more.

Steeldog,

You need to check your stats (or arithmetic) Steeldog - 5 rbs in 20 minutes equates to much more than 7.7 per 48. According to my stats, which I take from Doug's NBA stat site, Stromile's career average is 11.2/48 and in 07-08 his avg was 11.3. In his six gam
es this year it was 9.9. (Amare for his career is 12.5/48)

It wasn't my math or stats. Your mixing two different aspects of what I posted. I posted two things. One, the average rebounds per game (per season), in which he played about 20 minutes or more (6 seasons total). Next I posted was his PER 48 was this season at PF, which according to 82games.com is 7.7 per 48. Sorry, if putting it in one post was confusing.

Last edited:

Errntknght

Reaction score
After that explanation I'm more perplexed - a PER48 per game? What about taking this one sentence, which you wrote, and rewriting it to say what you mean? (I certainly didn't mix it up with anything else you wrote - its simple, straightforward and wrong.)

Swift gets about 7.7 rebounds (per 48).

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Very little. I don't think Sims's contract was guaranteed, so he's gone now, which makes the signing a wash. Even if I'm wrong, the extra outlay for Swift is only a few hundred thousand dollars.

I do think that the Suns are committed to the up-tempo game, but Swift's signing isn't evidence of that. Gooden was never an option for the Suns.

How do you figure? The ideal PF to complement O'Neal would be someone with a strong mid-range shot who is alert on pick and roll defense. Swift has neither of those qualities.

If he does, it will quickly become evident what his major weaknesses are.

Indeed. But he does provide some insurance in case O'Neal (or heck, even Amundson) gets hurt for a stretch.

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
Okay I have only seen him briefly in his career, it seems he can jump high....can he do anything else and he is a 4 right?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After that explanation I'm more perplexed - a PER48 per game? What about taking this one sentence, which you wrote, and rewriting it to say what you mean? (I certainly didn't mix it up with anything else you wrote - its simple, straightforward and wrong.)

Swift gets about 7.7 rebounds (per 48).

Lol. Sorry..meant Per 48..not Per 48 per...per game. I fixed that. That is what I get for trying to clear up an original post I thought was clear. I am confused at why you think it's wrong but let's clear it up.

I said "When Swift averages around 20 minutes per game his rebounding is at 5 rebounds per game".

That is a correct statement when looking at the 6 seasons that he averaged around 20 minutes. I was simply stating that during those 6 seasons he was averaging around 5 RPG per game when looking at those 6.

01-02 = 6.3
02-03 = 5.7
03-04 = 4.9
04-05 = 4.6
05-06 = 4.4
06-07 = 4.6

Next I said "Compare that to Amare's 36.8 MPG this season. Swift gets about 7.7 rebounds (per 48)."

That is a correct statement because I said compare it to "this season". When looking at how many minutes Amare takes to get his 8 Per game (36.8 Minutes per game), I was stating that Stromiles numbers don't really look that bad in comparison because his Rebounds Per at the PF spot (Per 48) is 7.7.

Per 82games.com

Rebounds
PF - 7.7 Per 48
C - 14.4 Per 48

http://www.82games.com/0809/08NJN11.HTM

I am not sure how much more clear that can be. Like I said, it seemed pretty clear but if it wasn't I apologize. Hopefully, that clears it up for you.

Last edited:

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If signing Swift means I never have to see Lopez play again then I'm all for it.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Lol. Sorry..meant Per 48..not Per 48 per...per game. I fixed that. That is what I get for trying to clear up an original post I thought was clear. I am confused at why you think it's wrong but let's clear it up.

I said "When Swift averages around 20 minutes per game his rebounding is at 5 rebounds per game".

That is a correct statement when looking at the 6 seasons that he averaged around 20 minutes. I was simply stating that during those 6 seasons he was averaging around 5 RPG per game when looking at those 6.

01-02 = 6.3
02-03 = 5.7
03-04 = 4.9
04-05 = 4.6
05-06 = 4.4
06-07 = 4.6

Next I said "Compare that to Amare's 36.8 MPG this season. Swift gets about 7.7 rebounds (per 48)."

That is a correct statement because I said compare it to "this season". When looking at how many minutes Amare takes to get his 8 Per game (36.8 Minutes per game), I was stating that Stromiles numbers don't really look that bad in comparison because his Rebounds Per at the PF spot (Per 48) is 7.7.

Per 82games.com

Rebounds
PF - 7.7 Per 48
C - 14.4 Per 48

http://www.82games.com/0809/08NJN11.HTM

I am not sure how much more clear that can be. Like I said, it seemed pretty clear but if it wasn't I apologize. Hopefully, that clears it up for you.

It's kinda confusing why you compare Amare's real rbs number with Swift's per 48, for which ever time span. In any case, Errknght's is more transparent and shows Amare is a better rebounder.:D

nowagimp

Reaction score
It's kinda confusing why you compare Amare's real rbs number with Swift's per 48, for which ever time span. In any case, Errknght's is more transparent and shows Amare is a better rebounder.:D

yep, callin it like it is.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
During the Orlando game the Suns announcers repeatedly said Swift has yet to clear waivers and cannot be signed until tomorrow. So he is not signed as yet although it looks good.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
During the Orlando game the Suns announcers repeatedly said Swift has yet to clear waivers and cannot be signed until tomorrow. So he is not signed as yet although it looks good.
I pointed that out earlier, but was told it was just a formality. I thought other teams could sign a player off waivers ahead of us if they have a worse record. :shrug: