Suns @ Hawks Tuesday game thread 1-14-20

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Mainstreet, Jan 13, 2020.

1. 1Sun

1Sun Registered

But, but, but...I thought Cam Johnson was the second coming of Reggie Miller and Chris Mullin..:sarcasm:.

2. 1Sun

1Sun Registered

What?!?!? You mean James Jones didn't do a phenomenal job this offseason after all?!?!?:sarcasm:

3. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Or more accurately, 15/11 with regular disappearing acts in the 4th quarter.

the hyperbole runs strong in you.

4. 1Sun

1Sun Registered

As opposed to the disappearing acts for the entire game that are starters Aron Baynes and Dario Saric...

5. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

Book wasn't the number 1 pick in the draft... who also took a dump on the team getting himself suspended for over a 1/4 of the season and apparently needs even more time to get in shape after getting himself parked on the bench.

And, if you've followed anything I've said, I don't put Book in the Steph/Harden or LBJ level. I think he's at best a great #2 or #1 on a bad team and that's because he's limited athletically. He doesn't have the quicks and passing ability Steph, Harden do or LBJ level athleticism. There's nothing he can do about not having as much talent/athleticism as those guys. Ayton DOES have the talent AND athleticism Embiid and AD does. THAT'S the difference.

And I've said this before but I'll say it again... the fatal flaw of this team in it's foundation as a title winning team is having two "stars", neither of which look like they can be sensational 1 Alpha Dogs on true contenders. Booker has the fire, not the elite athleticism/natural passing ability to be a #1 and Ayton has the elite athleticism but not the fire to be a great #1 and I think that is always going to hold us back in the long-run.

First, Ayton has NEVER averaged 18/10. This season he's averaging 16/11. Last season he averaged 16/10. So, can you even have a conversation about what Ayton is without inflating his numbers? Also, I don't disagree that there are bigger problems. But pretending like Ayton is blameless for anything because the rest of the team has big flaws only speaks to how lame of a #1 pick he is. The number 1 pick should be able to MAKE UP for flaws on the team, especially with a guy like Booker on the team as well and especially against an ATROCIOUS Hawks team.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Ouchie-Z-Clown likes this.
  6. 1Sun

1Sun Registered

Ayton is indeed disappointing so far, but even Lebron or MJ in his prime couldn't make up for a team that is this flawed.

This team is going nowhere as long as James Jones is the GM.

7. MaoTosiFanClub

MaoTosiFanClub Mike McCoy's Playbook

He really doesn't. Ayton's been playing the game for literally 8 of his 21 years on Earth years so becoming a natural player might never take for Ayton. I know Embiid picked up the sport late as well but Embiid also didn't play his first NBA game until he was 23 years old. Ayton is a big athletic (but only really in straight lines, he's not a very fluid athlete) dude that can shoot. All the millions of other things that go into being a good basketball player like footwork, timing, court vision, ballhandling, scheme, court IQ, etc. might take some time if they come at all due to his late start.

Not his fault he was picked #1. I have already expounded on the reasons he should not have been, one of which is above. I also realize that with most guys it takes a few years to really mature both on and off the court. Ayton needs more work in the lab without a doubt and I hope he embraces the need for that. But it won't matter if we continue burning lottery equity on guys like Bridges, Cam, JJ, Bender, Chriss, etc.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Ouchie-Z-Clown likes this.
  8. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

Duane Rankin‏Verified account @DuaneRankin

Early takes from #Suns lockerroom.

Devin Booker explained his side of techs, saying he didn't flip off Bembry, just pointed at scoreboard on 1st T.

2nd T, said he told Bembry, I can do this every time after drive, dunk.

An upset Monty Williams said there was taunting all game.

7:36 PM - 14 Jan 2020

9. 1Sun

1Sun Registered

Has there ever been a mentally weaker team than this Suns team?...

10. Bufalay

Bufalay Registered User

I’m less mad that he’s not Embiid and more mad that he’ll never be as good as Al Jefferson.

11. cwamjn

cwamjn Registered

What about Kevin Duckworth?

12. TJ

TJ NUKed

By the way - someone’s gonna have to be super desperate to trade for Tyler Johnson. Like, get out of an awful long-term deal bad. TJ doesn’t even provide value as a back-end rotational player.

13. Ouchie-Z-Clown

The suns commentators pointed out that three of the hawks were relentlessly trash talking oubre. But we got all the techs?

14. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Yup. I’m shocked at how flat out gawd-awful he is at basketball now. How he ever got that contract is amazing.

15. 1Sun

1Sun Registered

When I said that upon his acquisition last year, I was crucified on this board for saying so.

Heck, there were a number on this board who insisted he was a viable option as our starting point guard.