Suns @ Bobcats 11/7/12 game thread.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A bench mark game of the early season. Even pretty bad teams should beat the Bobcats, how about us?

Lets find out.

Go Suns!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it's a fluke but Beasley has looked much more like a basketball player in the first half of the first quarter.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course, right after I compliment the guy, Beasley takes the ball into a defender instead of giving it up to Dragic.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know Brown really stepped it up as the season wore on last year but am I the only one who cringes each time he gets the ball. I have less confidence in his shooting and his offensive decisions than anyone else on this team.

Steve

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Being a streak shooter he is going to have his random good nights (at least offensively), and thats why people will continue to fool themselves into thinking there is a star lurking underneath that blank stare.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being a streak shooter he is going to have his random good nights (at least offensively), and thats why people will continue to fool themselves into thinking there is a star lurking underneath that blank stare.

Are you talking about Beasley or Brown? Neither will be a star but I still believe that Beasley can become a good scorer in this league. I seriously doubt he'll ever become a good player but I think you consistently underrate his scoring abilities.

Steve

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know Brown really stepped it up as the season wore on last year but am I the only one who cringes each time he gets the ball. I have less confidence in his shooting and his offensive decisions than anyone else on this team.

Steve

You are not alone. Sometimes having a really overconfident guy on your team is a good thing, but Brown's apparent opinion of his offensive prowess and the reality of his talent might be the most out of skew with anyone in the league. And that says a lot.

It would be nice if he could tone it down a little and pick his spots because he could be a really effective player.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Are you talking about Beasley or Brown? Neither will be a star but I still believe that Beasley can become a good scorer in this league. I seriously doubt he'll ever become a good player but I think you consistently underrate his scoring abilities.

Steve

That was about Beasley. And I think any team that tries to lean on him to lead their offense is going to end up with very poor offense as a team. He might get 20 a night but it comes at the detriment of any offensive flow as a team.

Thats why Ive been saying he should come off the bench. Best case, IMO, for Beasley is a forward version of Jason Terry. Offense off the bench, you plug him in and see if he is hot, if he is you ride him for a bit, if not you yank him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are not alone. Sometimes having a really overconfident guy on your team is a good thing, but Brown's apparent opinion of his offensive prowess and the reality of his talent might be the most out of skew with anyone in the league. And that says a lot.

It would be nice if he could tone it down a little and pick his spots because he could be a really effective player.

I was always impressed with him when he was in LA but he concerns me as a Sun. You're right about confidence, it's so huge for these guys and I'd rather have over-confident than under-confident but he's just scary out there. Put a true NBA 2 out there with the starters and send Dudley to the bench and this would be a pretty competitive team. Nothing special, but competitive at least.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was about Beasley. And I think any team that tries to lean on him to lead their offense is going to end up with very poor offense as a team. He might get 20 a night but it comes at the detriment of any offensive flow as a team.

Thats why Ive been saying he should come off the bench. Best case, IMO, for Beasley is a forward version of Jason Terry. Offense off the bench, you plug him in and see if he is hot, if he is you ride him for a bit, if not you yank him.

I get you, but he doesn't have the temperament for it IMO. I think he can average 20 plus easily. However, I agree that it pretty much comes at the expense of the rest of the team. Seriously, I think he could compete for top scorer in the league all the while leading us to a 40 win season. I think he's a much more effective and capable scorer than you consider him to be but in the end, it's about winning and I doubt he can ever be a winner.

Steve

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I get you, but he doesn't have the temperament for it IMO. I think he can average 20 plus easily. However, I agree that it pretty much comes at the expense of the rest of the team. Seriously, I think he could compete for top scorer in the league all the while leading us to a 40 win season. I think he's a much more effective and capable scorer than you consider him to be but in the end, it's about winning and I doubt he can ever be a winner.

Steve

Well, I agree he could score 20 a night, but unless you play excellent defense (and that would be difficult with him in the lineup) your ceiling in wins is going to be 30 at the most.

Minnesota used him as their primary shooter (over Kevin Love) in 2010-11 and won 17 games while he averaged a very inefficient 19 a game.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dudley is really out of it so far this season.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I agree he could score 20 a night, but unless you play excellent defense (and that would be difficult with him in the lineup) your ceiling in wins is going to be 30 at the most.

Minnesota used him as their primary shooter (over Kevin Love) in 2010-11 and won 17 games while he averaged a very inefficient 19 a game.

This team has too many slightly above average players to only win 30 games if Beasley became a consistent top scorer. As it is, we'll probably win about 30 games with Beasley as a hit and miss type guy.

steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replace Dudley with Harden and this team wins 50 + games IMO. Of course, the only way we could have added Harden to this squad would have involved losing Gortat, Dragic and draft picks but a guy can dream.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems like Dudley heard me. I'm getting good at this. :)

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This team has too many slightly above average players to only win 30 games if Beasley became a consistent top scorer. As it is, we'll probably win about 30 games with Beasley as a hit and miss type guy.

steve

Well, therein lies the problem. I dont think Beasley will ever be consistent. A guy who relies on outside shots and does not get to the line will by nature be really inconsistent. So to average 20 youre going to have a lot of really uneven performances, and for him to get up to 20 a night you are taking away a lot of touches from those other average/slight above average players.

edukator1

Veteran
Reaction score
Wow i just cannot belive it,did you see that?
Beasly,IQ pass to gortat?
BTW they are playnig realy good in this game

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was nice to see Dudley hit that. He has really been lost out there. I dont know if he is just in a funk or if he has not been able to get the ball in spots where he likes it, but man its been ugly... and depressing. If we're really bad this year he was supposed to be one of our most tradeable assets.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, therein lies the problem. I dont think Beasley will ever be consistent. A guy who relies on outside shots and does not get to the line will by nature be really inconsistent. So to average 20 youre going to have a lot of really uneven performances, and for him to get up to 20 a night you are taking away a lot of touches from those other average/slight above average players.

He is 5-6 at the FT line tonight though. He is young enough to work on his game.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen