Suns at Nuggets 11-28-2010

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Warrick had a terrible shooting night but had 9 boards. An off night shooting. That will come around. Keep starting him. Imo, a much more solid pick for the starting 4 spot.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
officiating was bad for sure. we just failed to box out on some easy rebounds.
they were hott from 3pt land.
even as slow as we started and how good they were from the f/t and 3pt line, we still had a shot at the game.
our bench was out scored big time. they had way more f/t's then us.

barron looks okay, i hope he sees more time. we need more of what he brings.

The officiating wasn't that bad. Sure there were 2 bad calls on the Suns one JR Smith hooking J-Rich and Billups fumbling the ball out of bounce. On the other hand Nash should not have gotten an and 1 on his layup late.

The Suns just can't rebound and they can't hold anyone under 50% shooting. They only held the Clippers under 50% in the last 6 or so games and even the Clippers shot 48%.

Budden

Registered
Reaction score
i wasnt going to make any commnet about the refs, but man we have been playing 5 on 8 all night.

That is just a stupid, ignorant, idiotic statement. Maybe 3 on 8 all night; 4 on 8 is a huge stretch; but 5 on 8? There's simply no logic to support any argument that the Suns fielded 5 players tonight. (btw, this takes a bit of the edge off of the sarcasm of this paragraph, but just so we're clear, I wasn't saying you were stupid, ignorant or idiotic).

As far as the officiating is concerned, that's like a coroner noting a slight Vitamin D deficiency on the autopsy report when the deceased died from getting shot 5 times in the head with a double-barreled shotgun. Did some of the questionable calls go the Nuggets' way? Perhaps. That foul call on Nash when the Suns were down one and Billups just bobbled the ball out of bounds wasn't a great call - although there was some body contact from Hill and it looked like Nash may have slapped Billups lightly on the forearm - but "them's the breaks" sometimes.

I think last year really proved that you make your own luck when it comes to officiating. When the Suns were at their best - a great example is the Spurs series - it was the Suns who were getting the benefit of the same type of calls that Suns fans have complained about for the better part of the last decade (if not longer). Basketball is a physical game, so when there is contact that may or may not be a foul, the officials are looking at the angle of the collision rather than the collision itself. Last season, the Suns were a physical team on the perimeter, but they got the benefit of the doubt on calls because they put forth the extra effort to get to the correct spot on the floor, and when people knock into each other, it's the guy who got there second that's gonna get whistled for the foul. Contrast that with tonight, when the Suns players were far more content to reach with their arms than move their feet, or jump at the basket for a rebound rather than boxing his man out. The officials aren't perfect, but they tend to reward the players who deserve it.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Suns are the worst rebounding team in NBA history.

According to ESPN, many college basketball teams are challenging the Suns to a game because they strongly feel they can just keep rebounding the ball which will give them the win.

Link to follow soon!

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Ok, now i know what you mean when you say you can drop 30 on the Suns too :)

See :)

Earl Barron
Hakim Warrick
Grant Hill
Jason Richardson
Steve Nash..

Lets play some ball...

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What's up with Nash's shooting? Nash is shooting a career low 35.6% from the 3. His previous low was 37.4% in his 1st season in Dallas back in 1998-1999. His next lowest 3 point shooting % was 40.3% back in 1999-2000. His low as a Sun was last season with 42.6%.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think Earl Barron is a real positive for us. Everything I've read and seen says that the Suns haven't even had a practice for 2 weeks since they had so many games, a road trip and Thanksgiving. That means Barron has NEVER practiced with the team yet. Apparently today is his first. 7 boards, 2 assists and a block in 10 minutes without any practicing? I am cautiously optimistic about the guy.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
I think Earl Barron is a real positive for us. Everything I've read and seen says that the Suns haven't even had a practice for 2 weeks since they had so many games, a road trip and Thanksgiving. That means Barron has NEVER practiced with the team yet. Apparently today is his first. 7 boards, 2 assists and a block in 10 minutes without any practicing? I am cautiously optimistic about the guy.

I hope you can at least see that he is better than Jarron Friggin Collins, who was a proven commodity apparently.

Jarron Collins was a proven commodity

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
What I like about Barron is the second and third jumps. He gets right back up there for another chance at the rebound. It's not one and done like all our other big men.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I hope you can at least see that he is better than Jarron Friggin Collins, who was a proven commodity apparently.

Collins WAS a proven commodity. You want so hard to dispute everything I say, you're just grasping at straws.

Am I optimistic about Barron? Sure. More optimistic than Collins? After having him on the team for a week and give him a week more of practice, of course. But you were calling for him to start right away. That's insane. I mean, you still think he's our savior for chrissakes!

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
I don't think he's any savior. We can't get destroyed on the boards every night and we need a guy like Barron who can board. Simple as that. And Collins in no way is a proven commodity unless you were on something. The dude has sucked for many years, even before Phoenix. He can't rebound, he can't score, he can't play much defense, he can't do anything to say that he is PROVEN like you claim.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don't think he's any savior. We can't get destroyed on the boards every night and we need a guy like Barron who can board. Simple as that. And Collins in no way is a proven commodity unless you were on something. The dude has sucked for many years, even before Phoenix. He can't rebound, he can't score, he can't play much defense, he can't do anything to say that he is PROVEN like you claim.

How does he continue to get work? Are you claiming that your talent evaluation skills are better than Utah's, Phoenix's and the Clippers'? Because that would be pretty funny. Do I want Collins on this team now? No, of course not. But if you want to continue that side of the argument, go right ahead, I'm done with it.

You also seem to think I don't like Barron. That's a laugh because you haven't once given a concrete reason why he should start WITHOUT HAVING ANY PRACTICE TIME on this team. I like Barron and he's a good backup center. But nothing he has ever done in his career proves that he can play starting center. He's played a TOTAL of 17 minutes for the Suns and even before that, you were anointing him as the savior of the team.

Oh, and your irrational dislike of Channing Frye has made you conveniently ignore that he is much better as a starter than coming off the bench this season. That's just a fact, even after last night's horrid game.

Last edited:

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
I have no irrational dislikes on the Suns. Just because you think Channing Frye is a gift from the basketball gods doesn't mean we all have to follow you. And as for my talent evaluation skills, I admit I cannot properly evaluate Jarron Collins because he has no talent other than being tall to begin with. Please indulge us with your assessments as to why Utah had him and the Suns picked him up.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I have no irrational dislikes on the Suns. Just because you think Channing Frye is a gift from the basketball gods doesn't mean we all have to follow you.

LOL! Where did I say Frye is a gift from the basketball gods. I merely said that he's better as a starter than off the bench. PLEASE refute that if you can. But since you have no ammunition, I'll just be satisfied that I'm right.

And as for my talent evaluation skills, I admit I cannot properly evaluate Jarron Collins because he has no talent other than being tall to begin with. Please indulge us with your assessments as to why Utah had him and the Suns picked him up.

The Suns picked him up because of Robin Lopez's back injury. And Channing Frye was much more effective off the bench last year. There's no disputing that. Who else was going to start at center for us? Dwayne Jones?? He was 6'11" 250 and was a starter only for defensive purposes--which is what he was known for since his time at Stanford. And he only played 7.7mpg for us in the time he was here. But he was also a 10-year veteran.

Utah had him (and Phoenix picked him up) because he was considered a road block in the lane. Nothing more and nothing less. He's a big dude and that was why he has survived in the league for so long. Should the Suns have picked him up? Around the All-Star break, who was available? With Robin having problems, they couldn't trade for anyone because the trade deadline had passed. Apparently, the Suns front office thought Collins was the best they could get. The same thing can be said about Barron now.

But again, I LIKE EARL BARRON. Do I like him enough to give him the starting role on a team he has never practiced with? Absolutely not. And you have given absolutely NOTHING as far as concrete reasons why you disagree.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
You make it seem like Channing Frye has found himself as a starter or something. Channing Frye has played well in many games as a starter this year. Is he a starting center or power forward? Hell no. The sad thing here is that he may be the only option at either position for the Suns. Earl Barron would fit in with the Suns immediately IMO. He played big minutes with Nash and company late in last night's game and he stood out. The fact is that he isn't a brain dead player who has no idea how to play basketball and he is athletic enough to run down rebounds and throw pretty decent passes as well. Adding him to the starting lineup makes our bench even better with Frye, Turk, Dudley, Childress, and Dragic. We really have no need for Frye's offense in the starting lineup and his defense , even with a few bright spots, is still pretty darn atrocious.

Errntknght

Reaction score
There's no reason I can see to rush Barron into the starting lineup but playing him is certainly a step in the right direction. Build his minutes up - even if he has some poor nights - and then revisit the question of which of he and Frye fit better with the first and second unit.

The second unit is more important to the long term future of the team than the first unit is - and even to the short term future. If Gentry can get them performing at anything like the level they were at last year he'd be able to keep the starters minutes under control. Barron does not appear to be a defensive stalwart but at least he can rebound - that's something to build around.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You make it seem like Channing Frye has found himself as a starter or something.

Huh? TRUE OR FALSE: Channing Frye has played better as a starter than as a bench player. One word answer here, that's all this is.

"Found himself"? What in the world are you talking about? You want guys that play their best, and right now, Channing as a starter is better than Channing as a bench guy. Will that continue? Who knows? We certainly don't. But right now, the facts are pretty clear.

Earl Barron would fit in with the Suns immediately IMO. He played big minutes with Nash and company late in last night's game and he stood out. The fact is that he isn't a brain dead player who has no idea how to play basketball and he is athletic enough to run down rebounds and throw pretty decent passes as well. Adding him to the starting lineup makes our bench even better with Frye, Turk, Dudley, Childress, and Dragic. We really have no need for Frye's offense in the starting lineup and his defense , even with a few bright spots, is still pretty darn atrocious.

Look, I like Barron and I am with Errnt in advocating more playing time for him. However, he played 7 minutes 2 games ago and 10 minutes last night. The first 7 minutes were worthless, he did nothing except get a rebound. Last night he looked pretty good in his 10 minutes. But it was only 10 minutes. You accuse me of proclaiming Channing Frye is this great player (which I haven't once done), and yet you already have an opinion that Barron should START. He only has a total of 1400 minutes in the last 5 years.

Again, play him and perhaps give him a few more minutes. Definitely. But start? No way, not yet, maybe not ever.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
There's no reason I can see to rush Barron into the starting lineup but playing him is certainly a step in the right direction. Build his minutes up - even if he has some poor nights - and then revisit the question of which of he and Frye fit better with the first and second unit.
It's funny . . . and sad. We are so desperate for an all-around Center (who can fit in with the team) that when one who whets our appetites -- even for a few minutes and without practice -- is on the roster, we jump at it.

I agree with your assessment about not rushing Barron into the starting lineup, but playing him regularly. Not for his sake but for the team's.

Unfortunately because Frye has gone from a D- on defense and rebounding to a D+, the front office isn't about to take the starting job from him. Look how long it took to move Hedo out of starting PF, even though Warrick earned that spot.

If Barron is given a chance to get minutes regularly, it will be interesting to see what will happen when Lopez comes back. i'm hoping that Barren will have made himself unexpendable by then.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedzBetz