Suns @ 76ers Tuesday game thread 8-11-20 (season restart)

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thankfully Saric showed up again. Dude has been huge in the bubble and if it weren't for him against OKC early on then things could have fallen apart before Ayton got there. Today he was the only guy who was really helping Booker in the 1st half. He's definitely a keeper.

If he can play like he has in the bubble for a whole season then I think he could get some Sixth Man of the year buzz also, which might help sell him staying in his current role.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
83-73 Boston leads Memphis after 3. 4th quarter left to go but I like Boston's chances of hanging on.

Edit -
88-75 Boston with 10:30 to play in the 4th now.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Booker turning into a scoring machine and he had 7 assists.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Not even @cheesebeef could write a script where 4 teams are within a 1/2 game with a day left for 2 spots.
What's even crazier is that the Suns have a clear path to potentially moving into 8th after these 8 games. That would be huge as we would only have to win one game to secure the 8th spot for the playoffs.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Bridges came up huge this game, as did Booker, Saric and Frank.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
15.5 ppg, 9.5 rebounds per game - Ayton has been a dog for the most part in the bubble. weak sauce.

everyone else has been playing their asses off.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The thing most noticeable about Cam Johnson is that he plays like he belongs. He carries himself with a calm sense of self-confidence and his mind is in the game.

Jevon Carter is like that too. I love Jevon. Even if he is not the first pg off the bench, his full-court D is so disruptive. It is a great weapon off the bench, especially when you want to change the flow of the game. No one plays full-court dogged defense like he does, no one in the NBA. There might be players who are more effective, but there is no one that is a dog like him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The thing most noticeable about Cam Johnson is that he plays like he belongs. He carries himself with a calm sense of self-confidence and his mind is in the game.

Jevon Carter is like that too. I love Jevon. Even if he is not the first pg off the bench, his full-court D is so disruptive. It is a great weapon off the bench, especially when you want to change the flow of the game. No one plays full-court dogged defense like he does, no one in the NBA. There might be players who are more effective, but there is no one that is a dog like him.

I love Jevon as well. I just recently found out his mom is a solid follow on Twitter, which makes me appreciate Jevon that much more.

Here's a post of here's the other day...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That was a cute way of doing the starting line-up s for the Suns.

For those that missed it, the Suns had arranged for the families of the starters to introduce them for this game. It appears like they surprised the players by doing so.

Here's video of the starting introductions...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
What happened to Dario starting back in March? He had 24 points twice in the 3 games before the bubble and now this... It’s not like Nov-Feb weren’t contract months either.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What happened to Dario starting back in March? He had 24 points twice in the 3 games before the bubble and now this... It’s not like Nov-Feb weren’t contract months either.

what do you think is a realistic number to try and get Dario back? he's a great big off the bench and gives the second unit a guy who can actually create his own shot and stretch the floor. 8 mill per... 10?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Look at his last season in Minnesota and he did the same thing, didn't get going until February or after the All-Star break. It might take him time to get comfortable in his new surroundings with his new teammates. Since he's done it before, I'm not concerned with it being a contract year thing. He was fairly consistent in his first 2 years in Philly so it's not something that is ingrained in him permanently.

what do you think is a realistic number to try and get Dario back? he's a great big off the bench and gives the second unit a guy who can actually create his own shot and stretch the floor. 8 mill per... 10?

We can match any offer for him, provided we tender the qualifying offer ($5.14 million), and I think letting him walk for anything less than $10 million annually would be a mistake. I'd like to see him retained for 4 years/$30 million but think I'm lowballing it. That's trying to project financial hit from the pandemic into account though. I think that's fair for a spot starter/first big off the bench with his skill set. It also isn't too high where he couldn't be dealt later, if needed.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is hard to gauge what a true roll player like him will fetch.

This is going to be a strange off season. The cap this summer will lower than the one used this season and with next season being shortened and played largely without fans it will shrink even further.

I think teams are going to be very conservative about signing non-stars to multiyear deals. A lot of one year overpays or guys signing 2 or 3 year deals for well below what they would have gotten in recent years.

Maybe the league and the players will make a deal to make the cap fluctuation less dramatic. If they don't the cap will probably decrease by 10-20% of the next couple seasons and then explode once they play a full season with fans in the seats.

I don't see how a player like Saric can get a fair multi year deal in the current market. I could see a 1 year deal for 8 or 10 million, a 2 year deal for 14-18... hard to envision much beyond that.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think there are going to be a lot of 1 year deals because of covid. Uncertainties for teams and players.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Look at his last season in Minnesota and he did the same thing, didn't get going until February or after the All-Star break. It might take him time to get comfortable in his new surroundings with his new teammates. Since he's done it before, I'm not concerned with it being a contract year thing. He was fairly consistent in his first 2 years in Philly so it's not something that is ingrained in him permanently.

We can match any offer for him, provided we tender the qualifying offer ($5.14 million), and I think letting him walk for anything less than $10 million annually would be a mistake. I'd like to see him retained for 4 years/$30 million but think I'm lowballing it. That's trying to project financial hit from the pandemic into account though. I think that's fair for a spot starter/first big off the bench with his skill set. It also isn't too high where he couldn't be dealt later, if needed.

This is very true- Dario always starts slow. The real question will be whether or not he is OK coming off the bench, and whether or not anyone offers him an opportunity to start.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

5 or 6 million. Remember teams are hurting and cap space is sparce.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I've agreed that Dario's best value is coming off the bench.

If he tries to go back to starting, he'll be right back where he was.

He has excelled against fellow subs. That is his niche.