PS Game 2: SD 19 AZ 3

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Team Assessment:

Recently I went back and studied the SNF game last November when the Cardinals played the Bengals. You might recall that Carson Palmer was "off" (according to BA) in the first half, throwing two first quarter interceptions, one on a 3rd and 10 seam pass to Larry Fitzgerald where Leon Hall jumped the route and the second on a pass that sailed over the head of a post pattern right into the waiting arms of the Bengals' FS.

The Cardinals were down by a TD at halftime---but came out and owned the third quarter. At one point the Cardinals' offense had 200 yards in the quarter and the Bengals' offense had 0. BA always stresses that the first five minutes of the second half are the most important tone setting minutes of the game. In that particular game, both the Cardinals' offense and defense were up to the task. Palmer found his rhythm and the defense stymied the Bengals' offense, both stuffing the run and disrupting the timing of Andy Dalton.

But, in light of what occurred in the Seattle game in Week 17, the Carolina NFC Championship game and now both of the Cardinals' pre-season games this year...a handful of disturbing trends are evident:

1. Throwing two early interceptions on forced passes, usually one of them being badly overthrown and right to the free safety.

2. Cardinals' QB throwing to areas, rather than adjusting to the WR's route.

3. Trying to run the ball and doing absolutely nothing to block the opponents' inside LBers.

4. Failing to account for and stop blitzes right up the middle.

5. Opponents' receivers at times getting wide open, with no defender in sight.

6. Losing edge contain on running plays and on QB waggles, bootlegs and scrambles.

7. Inside rushers losing their lanes creating an easy QB scramble escape route right up the middle.

8. Giving up long, time-consuming drives on defense to start the second half.

9. Erratic special teams' play.

Now that the Cardinals find themselves acting out a similar script from week to week, it should be interesting to see how they address these disturbing trends.

If BA is really serious about running the football and even he has said that he think David Johnson has HOF ability and potential, BA has to make necessary adjustments to his offense.

The biggest thing is in the running game---when is he ever going to design blocking schemes that account for blocking the ILBers?

What compounds the matter is BA's refusal to use a FB.

If teams are making it difficult for you to get your linemen to the ILBers, which teams are wont to do, then you need a FB to key on taking out the run blitz and the placed ILB.

FBs, unlike pulling guards, have a straight shot at the ILB. Today's ILBers are so fast that you cannot rely on pulling guards to get to them.

Cases in point...the first running play of the game...and then the 1st and 10 running play backed up on the 2 yard line---both are handoffs to David Johnson who gets met by a blitzing LB just as he secures the handoff. With no FB in front of him as a protector, he's a sitting duck. To his credit he spun out of the first one to get the ball back to the l.o.s., and the second one he powered his way back to the l.o.s....but those are plays that take a toll on a RB.

Put it this way---if your weakest link on the offensive line is the center---you need a good FB in order to compensate for that weakness or teams are just going to exploit that weakness ad nauseum.

On defense, there are times when it looks like the unit is being coached by a young, second year DC who had no experience running a defense at any level. The defense is loaded with talent...but it lacks discipline...and it regularly blows assignments.

For example...why have the CBs play up in press position and then not press? Time and time again, the opponents' WRs are getting free releases. That is a total lack of discipline---and it defeats the whole purpose of press coverage.

Secondly, for a team that plays so much man to man coverage, how and why do so many TEs and receivers look like they are playing against a loose zone because of how open they are?

Thirdly, why does this defense make backup QBs look good, especially because the backups have such easy escape routes from pressure?

Players On The Rise:

QB Matt Barkley---for the simple reason that he looks more accurate and competitive than the #2 QB---and he did flash deep ball arm strength last night, albeit a little too deep.

RB Andre Ellington---he looks stronger a little more up to the task physically this year, and he showed some promise on returns last night, which the team desperately needs.

RBs Stepfan Taylor---ran hard and I wonder if he could be converted to being a situational FB like he was early in his career.

RB Kerwynn Williams---he continues to flash on runs with good burst.

WR Jaron Brown---he is making the most of his opportunities each day in practice and in the games, plus he's a good STs player.

T D.J. Humphries---save for the first snap of the game (and even then he did enough to recover), he played very well. I was impressed with his technique in fan blocking---he sealed off his edge consistently.

C Evan Boehm---he's starting to make his move up the ladder---looks the part physically and mentally.

DE Josh Mauro---the way he is playing he might win the starting DE job opposite Calais Campbell.

DT Red Bryant---made a handful of splash plays last night.

$LB Deone Bucannon---he sure took the romance out of the inside drag route last night.

OLB Kareem Martin---had the one good edge rush of the night.

CB Brandon Williams---this week he mirrored better and made breaks on the ball better. He's still got a ways to go, but the progress is evident.

CB Cariel Brooks---not only was he applying blanket coverage when inserted at LCB for Pat P., he was outstanding as a gunner on STs.

CB Harlan Miller---took a step forward last night---not a monumental one, but a decent one.

S Marqui Christian---he plays with suddenness---too bad he dropped the interception---but he is establishing himself as a playmaker and a good, force tackler.

P Garrett Swanson---clearly he has the stronger leg and quicker get-off.

LS Danny Dillon---he's been very efficient.

Players On the Decline:

QB Drew Stanton---he just can't seem to help himself, playing very much the way Derek Anderson did.

WR Jaxson Shipley---dropped passes at a time when he could really make a push.

TE Darren Fells---surprised to see that he didn't start and then to see him committing two penalties while playing on the 2nd team.

ILB Donald Butler---when you are a veteran playing deep into the 4th Q in PS games---and not standing out---you are in trouble.

OLB Alex Okafor---was having a good camp, but man now the OLB depth is very thin losing him to a torn tricep.

OLB Tristan Okpalaugo---decent versus the run, but not showing up yet as pass rush threat.

OLB Shaq Riddick---where is this guy?

P Drew Butler---you look at the other team's punter and get envious---like the Chargers' rookie Kaser.

K Chandler Catanzaro---Steve Keim needs to sign a kicker this week to offer some competition---why that hasn't happened with a 90 man roster is mind-boggling for a kicker who missed 5 extra points last year.

Last edited:

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Can't quite agree on OLB Tristan Okpalaugo, a couple of times I saw him doing decent, getting close - which is what you want, far better than Riddick, who appears to have no football instincts.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
We'll be fine. The Palmer INT looked like it came due to the defense seeing it all week in practice.

Play calling was suspect, but BA wasn't the one doing it.

Center is concerning, but when hasn't it been?

Hump is already looking adequate at replacing Massie and has upside to grow.

Stanton is concerning only if he sees the field, and if that happens, we are probably sunk anyway.

The defense is getting great pressure on passes without blitzing every play.

Williams took a step forward this week.

Reinforcements are arriving from PUP this week!

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
3. Trying to run the ball and doing absolutely nothing to block the opponents' inside LBers.

6. Losing edge contain on running plays and on QB waggles, bootlegs and scrambles.

7. Inside rushers losing their lanes creating an easy QB scramble escape route right up the middle.

So in a sense, the usual issues.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Can't quite agree on OLB Tristan Okpalaugo, a couple of times I saw him doing decent, getting close - which is what you want, far better than Riddick, who appears to have no football instincts.

I am happy to hear this. We need him!

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
We'll be fine. The Palmer INT looked like it came due to the defense seeing it all week in practice.

Play calling was suspect, but BA wasn't the one doing it.

Center is concerning, but when hasn't it been?

Hump is already looking adequate at replacing Massie and has upside to grow.

Stanton is concerning only if he sees the field, and if that happens, we are probably sunk anyway.

The defense is getting great pressure on passes without blitzing every play.

Williams took a step forward this week.

Reinforcements are arriving from PUP this week!

Good points.

I am not a big fan of the bubble screen unless it is to one of the fast guys---if we can improve the running game we won't need to run nearly as many bubble screens.

About the play calling---I think HG is in a tough position. But with BA ailing this week, it looks like a good idea just in case. Perhaps, Tom Moore could get more involved as well.

I didn't see great pressure at all. How many sacks did the Cardinals have? Josh Mauro had one...anyone else?

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stanton looked really out of sync last night. Why isn't he improving instead of taking backwards steps? Not impressed with Barkley either.

We need a backup QB that can come in and run the offense and make accurate decisions. Is that too much to ask?

AQ and Boehm both got pushed into the backfield on some plays. Concerning because it leaves CP open to getting hit.

ST's again are a concern. Baffling that we don't bring in a quality ST coach to correct these issues. Could cost us a game or more this year.

Defense looked lost on some plays. Continued pattern.

Over all preparation and effort looked weak.

On the other side,

Hump looked improved and his footwork looked better.

Williams looked better and was looking back for the ball.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Calais flushed QB out of the pocket and nearly got a sack with about 5 minutes left in 1st qtr. Clemons couldn't step into a pass on the same series and threw up a floater. It was completed over Williams but still not a good throw.

Then on goal line stand they were all quick drop backs so no real chance to apply pressure.

Then the 1st team D was done. Small sample because our Offense kept Their offense largely off the field, but the starters did well in those limited reps getting a push.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
It looks like we can all expect Cardinal opponents' first defensive play to be an all out blitz up the middle. Carson is going to miss games if the can't get SMH in order.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
NFL Network crawl says Fitz slightly sprained MCL Friday against the Chargers. That's amazing! He didn't even play!

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
NFL Network crawl says Fitz slightly sprained MCL Friday against the Chargers. That's amazing! He didn't even play!

Ha ha. Got to love the wording but we all know they meant in practice with them.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Team Assessment:

and now both of the Cardinals' pre-season games this year...a handful of disturbing trends are evident:

1. Throwing two early interceptions on forced passes, usually one of them being badly overthrown and right to the free safety.

2. Cardinals' QB throwing to areas, rather than adjusting to the WR's route.

Some of these problems have been ongoing. But with so many non regulars out there it's pre season football. It is what it is. That said the whole team needs to put forth better effort next game. They were the walking dead out there up to now.

It's a good thing that more regs will get regular reps this coming week. Hopefully with the first two PS games mailed in the y take the next game more seriously.

One positive is that the runners are hitting the holes hard. Ellington and Taylor are playing like they're interested in making an impact. The OL is making some strides. They need to stay healthier this season for a more consistently ballanced offense.

Stanton really needs to step it up.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I feel like they are a team trying to avoid injury. Just trying to get they reps and get off the field. They all look disinterested in preseason.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I feel like they are a team trying to avoid injury. Just trying to get they reps and get off the field. They all look disinterested in preseason.

Yes, kind of like when they played the Seahawks in Week 17 last year.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mitch, agree with most of what you wrote, and just want to add the following:
1. I know BA doesn't agree, but I feel that we should go more to our TE's. We had very few TE targets, and most were successful. In my memory, the four or five TE's on our roster are the best we've had.
2. If center is our biggest OL concern, then maybe we should go with Earl Watford, if Evan Boehm isn't the answer.
3. Okpalaugo, to me, is our third best OLB with Okafor out. Martin is good against the run, but doesn't add much as a PR. I'm not saying that Okpa is there as a PR, but he shows PR potential. I stopped the DVR after the ball was snapped and Okpa was a step ahead.
4. Mauro played well, and played well early. Was he being showcased?
5. Christian was a VG pick, but he's probably a year away from being able to play pass defense. For now he's good against the run and should excel on ST's.
6. Miller looks like a PS player at best, and Brooks is ahead of him as a CB. I realize that Brooks is more experienced.
7. DJ didn't look VG to me. But the fact that he got less PT than last week, so maybe the coaches disagree.
8. Thought that Crisp and Wetzel looked better, playing their more natural positions. And Toner looked good. I'm still hoping that he'll be tried at center.
9. We are loaded at RB. Could we trade one for a CB or a Swing Tackle?
10.This is probably treason, but Jauron Brown should play before John Brown. He and Floyd on the O/S and Fitz in the slot, look like our best combo.
11.While Shipley didn't have a good game, I like him better than Nelson. More versatile. But I know BA is in his corner.
12.Our Defense played well. Gave up 19 points and the first 10 were gifts from our offense.
13.Swanson is our best hope at punter and to paraphrase BA, it's not even close.
14.And now we have to wait eight days for a better effort.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Mitch, agree with most of what you wrote, and just want to add the following:
3. Okpalaugo, to me, is our third best OLB with Okafor out. Martin is good against the run, but doesn't add much as a PR. I'm not saying that Okpa is there as a PR, but he shows PR potential. I stopped the DVR after the ball was snapped and Okpa was a step ahead.

Ah, thanks for catching this...I saw #58 a few times and thought that he had some athleticism and potential - they also gave him 49 snaps - so it looks like they are trying hard to see if he is worth the roster spot. Here is the snap count for OLB last night (sans Jones/Golden) - since it's preseason, it is hard to determine to the high count is good or bad for a player...

(LB) Okpalaugo 49, K. Martin 34, Riddick 21

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
My thoughts...

Our special teams is going to be a liability this year. We don't show any ability in either return game, and our FG and punt units are struggling.

Barkley looked better than last week, but still not good.

C is an issue. Shipley is not good. EB looks like a 4th rounder.

DJ is ok. Still up and down, but he seems to bounce back after bad plays which is important.

I hate how Michael floyd seems to refuse to try and high point catch balls. He seems to drift away from the ball rather than attack it.

Toner looked like he played well. Might be a long term backup.

Outside of Minter, our front 7 might be the best and deepest in team history.

Pass rush seemed lacking, still no explosion. I expect to see better in the regular season.

Williams is going to stick in the NFL at CB. It isn't ideal technique yet, but his speed and length will ensure he sticks around.

I wonder is the Cards will look at Keenan Lewis at CB. There was a time when he was a very good press CB.

I am curious to see how Christian develops as he seems to have a knack from being around the ball.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our special teams is going to be a liability this year. We don't show any ability in either return game, and our FG and punt units are struggling.

Definitely a concern. Strange that BA ignores this problem.

C is an issue. Shipley is not good. EB looks like a 4th rounder.

Both allowed pressure up the middle. Another concern.

DJ is ok. Still up and down, but he seems to bounce back after bad plays which is important.

DJ is David Johnson to me. Can we use Hump so we know the difference? Hump did show some improvement, but still needs work

I wonder is the Cards will look at Keenan Lewis at CB. There was a time when he was a very good press CB.
We may need to bring in a vet corner so Williams and Miller have time to learn.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The whole Super Bowl talk needs to end. It looks like the team is reading the press clippings. This could be very dangerous as we have seen in the past where they take another team for granted and have to battle back in the second half. I'm old school and believe full effort, every game for the entire game.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Chopper, keep in mind that ST's are missing their best player, Bethel. So they might not be as bad as you think.

Reign Blood

Tattooed Hundredaire
Reaction score
From what I see...

The players are playing scared. No contact and this camp is why Arains is pissed.

Yes AQ must go.

Goodwins play calling sucks.

Stanton...I've tried to stick up for you but hey you're cap room right meow.

Make some early cuts. Team will take notice.