The News of the Game - PS Chiefs

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
We have Tune for the next four years at least already; why can't we find out if he can be a #2 QB later this year, or even next year? Why does that have to start Week 1?

The coaches probably have a good idea about Tune's makeup from the hundreds of practice reps he's already put in. He's not going to Johnny Football his way to being significantly better than the guy who lost to Louisiana in the Independence Bowl eight months ago.
Because I t might influence which free agents you try to sign and which players you target in the draft?

Son of RedRage

All Star
Reaction score
What?

You can't be serious, or are you?
Dead serious. It's easier to trade him if he's doing well come the deadline than it would be to move Kyler at any point in the future. This team is in a rebuild and anybody who doesn't fit into our future should be flipped for future assets. There's no point in keeping him in a rebuild when his peak would likely be seen towards the end of his rookie deal.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dead serious. It's easier to trade him if he's doing well come the deadline than it would be to move Kyler at any point in the future. This team is in a rebuild and anybody who doesn't fit into our future should be flipped for future assets. There's no point in keeping him in a rebuild when his peak would likely be seen towards the end of his rookie deal.
Nope, nope nope. If he looks like a legit starter, you keep him as a super cheap backup in case your starter (Kyler) goes down again.

(this same logic is why SF isn't trading Brock Purdy. They would rather trade Lance)

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
If Tune is named the starter, and performs at a solid level, I think it would be smart to attempt to parlay him at the deadline for future draft picks. There's always a competitor with an injured QB at the deadline.
We signed Clayton Tune to a 4 year $4.2 million dollar contract, if he becomes legit NFL start worthy you keep him, especially as a back up, and extra especially with Murray's size/frequency to run

Reaction score
We have Tune for the next four years at least already; why can't we find out if he can be a #2 QB later this year, or even next year? Why does that have to start Week 1?

The coaches probably have a good idea about Tune's makeup from the hundreds of practice reps he's already put in. He's not going to Johnny Football his way to being significantly better than the guy who lost to Louisiana in the Independence Bowl eight months ago.
Lost?

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope, nope nope. If he looks like a legit starter, you keep him as a super cheap backup in case your starter (Kyler) goes down again.

(this same logic is why SF isn't trading Brock Purdy. They would rather trade Lance)

We signed Clayton Tune to a 4 year $4.2 million dollar contract, if he becomes legit NFL start worthy you keep him, especially as a back up, and extra especially with Murray's size/frequency to run
This

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Tune had 3 TDs in the Independence Bowl and Houston won?

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Why and how?
I think it's a pretty easy answer. You said yourself why not just wait until next season to evaluate Tune. By that time you are past FA period and past the draft so you would have to wait until 2024/25 to decide if Tune is or isn't worth keeping. If you play him now and decide he is not the answer to your future plans then you can look to other areas to find your replacement for Tune. If you decide he can fill a role in your plans then you can be settled that it's one less thing you now have to plan for.

I think the odds of McCoy playing in 2024 are slim and none especially since he can probably get a good gig working in the broadcast booth. I suspect his time doing USFL games was an audition for the future.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think it's a pretty easy answer. You said yourself why not just wait until next season to evaluate Tune. By that time you are past FA period and past the draft so you would have to wait until 2024/25 to decide if Tune is or isn't worth keeping. If you play him now and decide he is not the answer to your future plans then you can look to other areas to find your replacement for Tune. If you decide he can fill a role in your plans then you can be settled that it's one less thing you now have to plan for.

I think the odds of McCoy playing in 2024 are slim and none especially since he can probably get a good gig working in the broadcast booth. I suspect his time doing USFL games was an audition for the future.
They’ll know more about him through this season’s practices. The state of our 2024 second-string QB is not a huge concern.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

There is a chance we see McCoy cut this season imo...once kyler is back...why carry 3? If tune wont make it to the PS then Colt has to be the guy cut...assuming of course, they like him...... and if Colts age shows ...or he gets injured in 4 games or less yet again...i mean, we already see his lack of arm strength affecting games

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
If Tune is named the starter, and performs at a solid level, I think it would be smart to attempt to parlay him at the deadline for future draft picks. There's always a competitor with an injured QB at the deadline.
my response to this will likely get me banned so i will just put my head down.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
I'd go with Tune if KM1 isn't ready. His escapability was nice, dropped perfect throws too.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Harry if I could tease you a little please.. :)

The above evokes memories of the Patron Saint of Third String Quarterbacks, none other than Walter Mitchell!

But yeah great, hope Tune continues to develop. 100%. A back up QB that can win games for you is more valuable than ever in today's NFL.
lol. I was thinking the same thing, except insert Brian St. Pierre for Tune. I do agree with his assessment though, even though it’s pre-season.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol. I was thinking the same thing, except insert Brian St. Pierre for Tune. I do agree with his assessment though, even though it’s pre-season.
No way I would go that far. Tune has more moxie than St. Pierre ever did.

I REALLY hated using the word moxie there.