The News of the Game - PS Chiefs

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The Good News

Before I list specifics, one general observation. Tune should start every game until Murray returns. McCoy is a known commodity, since the Cards are going nowhere this season they have to find out what they have in Tune. Everyone is assuming if Murray doesn’t hold up the Cards will take Williams or Maye if they have one of the top 2 picks. If Tune is the real deal, they could grab Harrison and a top defensive player or trade a pick after they get Harrison. Frankly the Cards are less likely to win early games with Tune, so a better draft spot probably results. Even if he’s good he’ll make rookie mistakes. If Tune needs more seasoning they could play Murray in 2025 and then trade him. Tune said he was the best drafted QB and so far he could be right. His fits this offense, possibly better than Murray who will have to adjust. Tune seems to have a very secure ego so he’s unlikely to be ruined by starting early.

As to the game, Tune again looked very sound for a rookie. Tune does so much right already it’s shocking. Even if the first rusher comes free Tune is rarely thrown for a loss. He knows where his safety outlet is and he uses it effectively. He’s very agile and can shake off weak hits. He backpedals with such poise and patience, he looks like a veteran. He loops out of the backfield when pressured and this week sometimes pulled up to throw. He didn’t do that last week. If that’s a game film correction, it’s an amazingly rapid adjustment. When he’s running for more than just the boundary, he tucks the ball. He exhibits excellent arm strength and continues to excel at ball placement. Nobody’s perfect at that but he’s already very good. He takes what the defense gives him, which is rare in a rookie. He does need work on a few things. He continues to overthrow short receivers and the Cards have a bunch. Baccellia seems to be the exception that proves the rule. He ran out of bounds on a clear offsides rather than taking a low percentage throw. He was late on out routes, but getting more accustomed to receiver speed should reduce that. I do wonder about receivers approaching the boundary who don’t adjust routes when Tune has been flushed out or pressured.

Dortch should start. Watkins and Luketa looked efficient in limited play. Ingram locked up the backup slot IMO. Prater still has a big leg. Hairston showed good tackling form, which was all too rare. The tight end blocking was sound. On the whole the offensive play calling and design was very good. There were no stupid calls, but I’m not sure about the Moore catch. Did he know where the line to make was?

The Bad News

The tacking was bad. Pappoe, Matthew and Simmons were especially poor tacklers. Simmons had a terrible game and looked totally lost. I’ve come back to my opinion that he’d best be used as a situational pass rusher. Pass coverage was weak. Matthew doesn’t belong on the field; neither does Chachere. Clark looked like a rookie. McMichael looked stiff and awkward in coverage. Hamilton should be starting. Hayes had another concentration lapse that caused a penalty. Togiai made a costly drop. For the entire game there was little if any pressure on the passer. On the whole the defense is desperately thin personnel-wise. The first unit played decently, but if injuries hit, this defense could collapse.

In general, the team came prepared to play. They played hard. They were not as disciplined as game one. This will be a good test of the coaching staff’s ability to get them back to game one level of self control. Of course they were playing a much better team. So far the coaching has been sound.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I think this is fair

I didnt need a preseason game to know that the Chiefs talent is far superior to the Cards today. The drop off after the first team D is steep, but when a unit is scrambling for a starting 11, that shouldnt surprise.

Had this been a regular season game -- it has the feel of a 14-10 game at the half where you feel like he Cards are in it, only to see KC score 21 unanswered points in the 2nd half as the defense wears down.

I dont know about starting Tune early. The staff that is about building culture and being all in on team - starting Tune over McCoy would send a bad message. While i agree with the positives, Tune was consistently late on key third down throws. Further, his accuracy outside the hashes is terrible.

I think you take your lumps with McCoy until Kyler is ready (assuming that is week 6 or so)

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Wonder who was the biggest supporter of Tune? If he was a scout from the Keim regime, l hope he is
kept aboard. I am in total agreement so far he looks like he has the goods.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Harry if I could tease you a little please.. :)

The above evokes memories of the Patron Saint of Third String Quarterbacks, none other than Walter Mitchell!

But yeah great, hope Tune continues to develop. 100%. A back up QB that can win games for you is more valuable than ever in today's NFL.

Last edited:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There were no stupid calls, but I’m not sure about the Moore catch. Did he know where the line to make was?

When I got home from the game and rewatched that play it appears that Moore made his break right at the line to gain. However as he ran his out towards the sideline he drifted back about a yard and a half towards the LOS which is why he ended up short.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My only concern with starting Tune from day one would be him losing confidence when things get out of hand early on. I say start McCoy for a game or two and then bring in Tune if McCoy stinks up the place. Give Tune a game or two to watch from the Sidelines and see how an actual NFL game is handled on the sideline. Things like getting plays relayed, the play clock, time management and things like that. The regular season is just a different animal than pre-season IMO. Maybe if there is an early blowout, then bring him in during the 4th quarter to get his feet wet a little.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Tune should start every game until Murray returns.
100% agree
Frankly the Cards are less likely to win early games with Tune, so a better draft spot probably results.
100% agree
If Tune is the real deal, they could grab Harrison and a top defensive player or trade a pick after they get Harrison.
Stretch. HIGHLY unlikely Tune is a franchise QB. Solid QB2...sure.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tune gives the offense an option that McCoy simply can’t. I could live with him being named the starter. Ingram looked surprisingly good.

On defense I think the plan was to see what a 4 man rush could generate. I saw less blitzing, but maybe I’m wrong.

Simmons should be moved to edge on passing downs and told to go get the QB. If not that I think there is another team would be willing to give up a little something to take a chance on him.

We found a punter.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
My only concern with starting Tune from day one would be him losing confidence when things get out of hand early on. I say start McCoy for a game or two and then bring in Tune if McCoy stinks up the place. Give Tune a game or two to watch from the Sidelines and see how an actual NFL game is handled on the sideline. Things like getting plays relayed, the play clock, time management and things like that. The regular season is just a different animal than pre-season IMO. Maybe if there is an early blowout, then bring him in during the 4th quarter to get his feet wet a little.
I think you go with McCoy and when he gets hurt, which pretty much always happens, Tune can step in.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think the vets would prefer McCoy, as of now...Gannon can't risk losing the locker room in week 1.
Vets read social media just like 95% of us. Vets know that we aren't winning much of this year anyway.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
I would think the vets would prefer McCoy, as of now...Gannon can't risk losing the locker room in week 1.
I’m certain some do, but I think most realize this is a building year. They’ve seen them before. The Cards are trying to answer questions related to 2024. That’s the team you’re building. I think it’s crucial to find out where Tune fits. I grant it’s a long shot that he could be the starter long term, but you know McCoy isn’t likely to even play in 2024. So far, Tune has been extremely surprising. Even if the chances are small he could be the guy, I think you have to take the leap. The Cards are overdue for a break. If he turns out to be the guy it dramatically accelerates the timetable for producing a competitive team. Maybe he just turns out to be a solid backup, which is a valuable piece. The Cards need to make a definitive determination.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I agree that Tune should start and everyone gets to see how he performs under live action of the regular season. I actually think he played better his second outing than his debut. Not quite as many high passes and a couple drops, penalties, and a bad call on the Dortch TD would have made his numbers better.

The high throws may be a mechanics thing that needs to be fixed as the throws were not really off the money (accuracy) just high.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I agree that Tune should start and everyone gets to see how he performs under live action of the regular season. I actually think he played better his second outing than his debut. Not quite as many high passes and a couple drops, penalties, and a bad call on the Dortch TD would have made his numbers better.

The high throws may be a mechanics thing that needs to be fixed as the throws were not really off the money (accuracy) just high.

Wow. McCoy has won NFL games before. Like recently. He's smart, experienced, battle tested, a good leader, and takes care of the football. Long in the tooth? Okay. But there's little doubt to me he gives us the best chance to win against WAS on 09/10/23.

MO has said they trying to win this year, and I don't see how it helps his resume or JG's to post a 2-15 to start their tenure.

People on here say we're tanking, but a conservative approach in the last FA window as the sole evidence of this is not very compelling, and I think seeing the squad fight kick scratch and claw to be .500 would be a better foundation to a successful 2024 than losing sixteen times in 2023.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Wow. McCoy has won NFL games before. Like recently. He's smart, experienced, battle tested, a good leader, and takes care of the football. Long in the tooth? Okay. But there's little doubt to me he gives us the best chance to win against WAS on 09/10/23.

MO has said they trying to win this year, and I don't see how it helps his resume or JG's to post a 2-15 to start their tenure.

People on here say we're tanking, but a conservative approach in the last FA window as the sole evidence of this is not very compelling, and I think seeing the squad fight kick scratch and claw to be .500 would be a better foundation to a successful 2024 than losing sixteen times in 2023.
I might agree if I could envision 500, but I can’t. If this team wins 6 with any QB, that would be a major accomplishment. Is McCoy more polished and perhaps more capable than Tune; probably. However, he’s a journeyman who wasn’t even sure he wanted to play this year. He’s not the future. Tune may not be the future, but just maybe he is. I’m not big on symbolic victories.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

I guess I see it through another lens. I would be willing to sacrifice a win or two that McCoy might give us to build a foundation for the future. I don't see how a 5-12, 6-11 record in 2023 makes for a better foundation than a 3-14, 4-13 record if you are left with no more answers than when you started the season.

Let's say McCoy leads us to a 1-3 record in the first four games and then they bring Murray back who we all know is going to start from then out. You still haven't a good handle on what you have in Tune since PS games are not the same as when the games start counting for real once the regular season starts.

In all probability McCoy is done after this season, why not plan for the future by playing Tune and getting a sense of whether he can be your #2 QB? Hell, he may even show some ability to be a #1 QB for all we know.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I see it through another lens. I would be willing to sacrifice a win or two that McCoy might give us to build a foundation for the future. I don't see how a 5-12, 6-11 record in 2023 makes for a better foundation than a 3-14, 4-13 record if you are left with no more answers than when you started the season.

Let's say McCoy leads us to a 1-3 record in the first four games and then they bring Murray back who we all know is going to start from then out. You still haven't a good handle on what you have in Tune since PS games are not the same as when the games start counting for real once the regular season starts.

In all probability McCoy is done after this season, why not plan for the future by playing Tune and getting a sense of whether he can be your #2 QB? Hell, he may even show some ability to be a #1 QB for all we know.
McCoy won't be the question we need the answer to. It will be Kyler. McCoy is still only a backup anyway. Tune will be the #2 next year barring something strange.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
We have Tune for the next four years at least already; why can't we find out if he can be a #2 QB later this year, or even next year? Why does that have to start Week 1?

The coaches probably have a good idea about Tune's makeup from the hundreds of practice reps he's already put in. He's not going to Johnny Football his way to being significantly better than the guy who lost to Louisiana in the Independence Bowl eight months ago.