Pro Football Focus Thinks Cards are Overrated

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's an insider article so I won't post the whole article, but the author thinks the Cards could be fighting for the #1 pick in the draft.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/stor...-underrated?addata=2009_insdr_mod_nfl_xxx_xxx

Overrated: Arizona Cardinals
You must be registered for see images attach

When you really start to break it down, this team might not only be overseeded at No. 23 in the power rankings, but also may actually be a contender for the first pick in the 2013 draft. That's how bad the Cardinals could be.
Quarterback John Skelton is erratic at best, but even worse (43 percent completion percentage) when put under pressure. Match that up with an offensive line that finished 30th in the PFF's pass blocking rankings, giving up a combined 204 sacks, hit and hurries (third-most in the NFL), and Cardinals fans should be worried. That's not even accounting for the new starters they'll be introducing in 2012. Both D'Anthony Batiste and Bobby Massie have looked poor in preseason, while Adam Snyder has long been one of the worst guards in the league (last year he was our worst-ranked RG in the league).
The defense may bridge the gap somewhat. In players like Calais Campbell, Adrian Wilson and Daryl Washington, they have talent. But the Cardinals are kidding themselves if they think a dozen sacks by Sam Acho and O'Brien Schofield combined (nearly half of which came either unblocked, as a result of beating a tight end or running back or because the quarterback held onto the ball too long) means they're ready to generate pressure consistently off the edge. Acho and Schofield managed just 31 total quarterback disruptions on 369 pass rushes last year. Recently released Clark Haggans managed 35 on 319.
That won't make life any easier for the Arizona secondary, which already has question marks around it. Patrick Peterson hasn't proved all that much at the cornerback spot, as evidenced by him having our eighth-lowest grade at the position and drawing more yellow flags (10) than all but two cornerbacks. He'll need to take a huge step forward because opposing QBs are going to have time in the pocket to test him and his teammates.
There's no doubting there's talent on the Cardinals roster. But in a passing league, they fall flat in a number of key positions. That will catch up with them.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are only rated 23, is that really that overrated?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. We are not better than 30th.
And if they win a completely winnable game at home against a rookie QB, 23 will sound about right.

iwin.gif

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Nothing I can't disagree with! A poor Oline, average QB play at best & a solid yet still skeptical defense leads to a bottom 1/3 in the league finish. Is this team better or as good overall as last year? I say no!!! Throw in a potential deadly second half schedule :bang:

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Nothing I can't disagree with! A poor Oline, average QB play at best & a solid yet still skeptical defense leads to a bottom 1/3 in the league finish. Is this team better or as good overall as last year? I say no!!!

I think we are just as good as last year, only our schedule is much more difficult. We were a .500 team with one of the easiest schedules last year. What gives us hope that we can do better now?

mwanamatapa

Veteran
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who writes this stuff? Does he even understand Horton's defense? Doesn't sound like it. Greg Cosell has totally the opposite view of Peterson's performance from the second half of last year and that's a respected opinion.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm not a believer in PFF's rankings, but what quarterback is better under pressure?

Surprisingly, John Skelton was, according to FootballOutsiders, better than the following quarterbacks when under pressure: Mark Sanchez, Carson Palmer, Matt Cassel, and Kyle Orton. The problem with Skelton is that he's just barely better than Curtis Painter when he's not under pressure.

That's a pretty big problem.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a believer in PFF's rankings, but what quarterback is better under pressure?

Surprisingly, John Skelton was, according to FootballOutsiders, better than the following quarterbacks when under pressure: Mark Sanchez, Carson Palmer, Matt Cassel, and Kyle Orton. The problem with Skelton is that he's just barely better than Curtis Painter when he's not under pressure.

That's a pretty big problem.
Yikes. I guess it is good he isn't the worst? Meh.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison