Preseason week 1 Cowboys @ Cardinals Pregame thread 8-9 thru 8-13, 2021

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Cardinals made some solid offseason acquisitions IMO.

Matt Prater is Matt Prater and he adds at least one win and/or avoids one loss.

Marco Wilson has a chance to turn into a draft steal by Keim.

But Rondale Moore and Zaven Collins have looked better than any first two draft picks of the Cardinals in my recent Cardinal memory.

Obviously the offensive line has a long, long way to go. That was ugly. Maybe it partially explains Murray's absence

Yes. Moore, Benjamin, PRATER.
No. Streveler, any 3rd and 4th string linemen. Wolfley for anymore than 10 minutes.

Hadn't heard Wolfley in years and his schtick was old, tired, and pointless then.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I missed the 4th quarter and I am watching the higlights now. Streveler made several accurate passes with 0 time to throw. No idea way members here are saying he is inaccurate.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Exactly. They should have had Hundly out there rather then Streveler, but the Oline gave Streveler no chance to do much of anything. Honestly, last nights oline play was similar to that Rams game. Also, the play calling for Streveler was all bad. KK never changed it to suit Streveler and that hurt the team as well.
How should he change it? Streveler needs to make traditional NFL plays.

Streveler is a limited QB.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
How should he change it? Streveler needs to make traditional NFL plays.

Streveler is a limited QB.

I agree, but the plan calling was pretty bad. He should've called more QB runs for him, shorter/quicker passes as he had no time to throw must of the game. He needed to change it up for the new QB and he didn't.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I agree, but the plan calling was pretty bad. He should've called more QB runs for him, shorter/quicker passes as he had no time to throw must of the game. He needed to change it up for the new QB and he didn't.
It's really hard to evaluate playcalling during the preseason.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Streveler had his chance to be a hero last season & got outplayed by John Wolford. Most of the casual fanbase ain't ever going to forgive him after the debacle against the Rams.

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
Good:

Zaven Collins - played pretty physical and fast. Looks like the Cardinals have a good one.

Moore - looks like a legit weapon out there. They used him exactly how I though they would. He is going to break some of those plays as the season goes on.

Wilson - looked the part. Had a few PBUs and broke on the ball. Game doesn't look too big for him.

Gowan - stayed with his man and had a few good plays, but he needs to learn to look back for the ball. Looks like a future back up.

Eno - looked like the player who set ASUs single season rushing record. He looks like he can contribute on special teams and be a quite back up.

Colt McCoy - looked as good as any backup QB the Cardinals have had in a while. He seemed to have a command of the offense. I have confidence in him.

Bad:

Streveler - Granted he was playing with the third string OL most of the night, but he just isn't a good enough passer. I would like to see him get extended reps with the first team line.

Josh Miles - holy moly he got beat like a drum. If he is the top backup to DJ Humphries, that's a big problem.

5th string DL - more of a dig at posters on talking about how bad the DL looked. Of course its going to be bad when Watt, Lawrence, Philips, Allen, Peters, and Fotu were all out. The Cardinals played recent pickups for most of the night and the Cowboys actually didn't run the ball that well.

Jace Whittaker - slow and small. I dont see an NFL player here, but thats ok because he has virtually no shot.

OL depth - outside of the first team OL, the rest of the OLs looked like trash. Lots of easy pressure and inconsistent.

Ugly:

Penalties: that one stretch where there were like 3 penalties nearly in a row is quintessential 2020 Cardinals. They have to clean that mess up.
We have to remember that Gowan sat out the 2020 season for Covid to protect his infant daughter. We may want to give him a longer leash till he gets back up to speed.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My takes:

The good:
Collins looked better than Simmons by a country mile. I'm hoping that Vance is just keeping IS's role very vanilla right now.

Enoooooo! Happy to see the kid on the ST unit.

Rondale was all that and a bag of Red Vines. Man I can't wait to see him in some open space when the turf is NFL quality.

Marco looked like he belonged. Still work to do though.

Prater...... Man...... I think I found my Fantasy Football kicker.

The bad
Streveler is not an NFL QB. I read some excuses for him but I would much rather see a developmental QB that can pass more effectively. Streveler is a beer-league Taysom Hill wannabe. Just not NFL quality. At all.

Tay Gowan got lucky a couple of times and looked like he may not be athletic enough. It's just one game though.

Golden still can't keep contain. haha. I just laugh now when it happens.

The insanely ugly:
I understand why Bidwill took the Cards out of Flagstaff. A top 5 NFL training camp site. But our turf is an embarrassment and could have gotten players hurt last night. We shouldn't practice on the field our games are played on. period.

Our O-Line was bad tonight. Miles was atrocious. Beechum was bad too. RT is not in a good place.

Oh yeah I meant to mention the turf. I don't recall it ever looking that bad. I don't get why it was like that even with practice.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Buchanon and Ward should do quite well in backup roles.

Front liners played tougher than last year jand held their own one on one. But 2nd and 3rd stringers lost most of those contests.

Not happy about those OL penalties early in the game.

Too many players were held out of action, making it hard to track position battles.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is Simmons still not filling the correct hole or having an impact?

I thought part of his hype was that he was a quick learner?

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Watching the highlights and I really hope that wasn’t our first team o-linemen led by our new center Hudson getting blown up and having McCoy with defenders in his face all night

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Going into the game, I read a lot about the Cardinals being heavily penalized, a good indication of poor coaching. In our FIRST game we came away with 5 for 35 (compared to 8 for 50). Considering that most of the game was played by backups, I guess the coaching is much improved. Or, at least it was last night.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
As far as getting off the field on D, Vance did try a few risky coverage schemes and blitzes in big moments.

During the game it was funny the consternation directed against the defensive front. The vast majority of DL snaps were played by camp bodies last night. The only guy out there with a shot to make the roster or probably even practice squad was Michael Dogbe and he made a few plays.

Was nice to see Kennard make a few plays earlier in the game. Murphy also looks to be in better shape as well.

I'm not worried about the 1st and 2nd team for most positions, other than all of the players being held out for injury. This is either a major issue or the Cardinals are just being cautious.

The OL is some concern because the depth players didn't play well.
It’s preseason and vanilla D with 3rd and 4th stringers, so I’m not too worried about the d right now. I was just pointing out what I thought were 3 positives and 3 negatives to take away from game one. When our starters are out there, I’m sure we’ll see a lot more blitzing and different coverages. The last drive with the game on the line, VJ was calling blitzes that we would’ve normally seen early on.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Whewwwww man if we had a proven very good CB.