Pre-Training Camp Power Rankings

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I thought that since this was a down-time on the board and there are more birthday greetings than productive threads going on, I'd build a quick power rankings of teams and see where the Cards shake out. Your comments would obviously be appreciated.

1. Green Bay Packers. This is a team that grew up quickly last season. As good as this team was last year, they're entering Year 2 in the 3-4 defensive alignment, and players should actually know what they're doing. This team lacks weaknesses.

2. Indianapolis Colts. Best quarterback of his generation and a defense that can put pressure on opposing quarterbacks. The Indianapolis Colts are a machine, but their model is difficult to replicate unless you have a guy like #18.

3. New York Jets. Their only real question mark is under center. Will Sanchez suffer a sophomore slump? Can the Jets trust him to make plays to win games? Even a Brad Johnson-esque season would get them close to the Super Bowl.

4. New Orleans Saints. Best in a bad division should allow them to rest players at the end of the season again. It's hard to beat Drew Brees, and opposing coaches have to figure out Gregg Williams's pressure packages. They lost some talent in free agency.

5. Dallas Cowboys. They're going to have to survive a brutal division schedule, but they're clearly the class of the NFC East. Have they built enough confidence to make the Super Bowl a home game?

6. Minnesota Vikings. If Favre comes back, they'll be hard to beat in the regular season. Their defense needs to not slip after a slew of '09 injuries that will carry into 2010.
7. San Diego Chargers. No one stands in their way during the regular season or in the division, but their head coach continues to make poor decisions when the game matters most.

8. Baltimore Ravens. They should win their division without much problem, but can their defense stop the high flying passing attacks that make the playoffs for another year? Joe Flacco has more weapons this year than any of the quarterbacks who preceded him, but he has to get faster with his reads.

9. Washington Redskins. The NFL is a quarterback-driven league, and the Redskins have a Top 10 quarterback. He'll make do with the weapons on the outside they way McNabb always has. Jim Haslett would have been better advised to stick with the 4-3, though.

10. New England Patriots. They're going to miss Wes Welker, but they're really going to miss having playmakers at the cornerback position. They have the offensive tools to make the playoffs, but they're going to have to get better on defense. The Pats have one of the smallest coaching staffs in the NFL.

11. New York Giants. They have the tools in the passing game, but can Eli Manning have the arm strength to push the ball through the new stadium when it matters most--November and December? Will the defense show any heart at all?

12. Arizona Cardinals. I believe in their head coach, and I have faith in the quarterback position. But this defense is not going to be an improvement over the 2009 edition. Until Dan Williams earns playing time, players like Steven Jackson, Michael Turner, Frank Bush, Ryan Matthews, and Reggie Bush are going to punish the defensive interior. This defense is going to have to grow up really fast, or it won't matter how well Joey Porter can still rush the passer.

13. San Francisco 49ers. I don't believe in their head coach, but I do believe in their defensive coordinator and his ability to put pressure on opposition defenses. The 49ers should do no worse than 4-2 in their division. The question is whether they can win road games against weak opponents like Kansas City and Carolina, and whether they have the maturity to handle the game in London against Denver.

14. Cincinnati Bengals. It's possible that they got better on offense with the addition of Bryant and their first-round TE, but can their defense repeat their dominant performance from 2009? They lack playmakers on the defensive line. Carson Palmer has to put together a "prove it" season.

15. Tennessee Titans. I believe in Jeff Fisher. I believe in the Titans' model for building and sustaining success. I believe in Chris Johnson. But I don't know how they're going to get pressure on the passer or slow down opposition running games. The good news is that no one else in their division besides Jacksonville can run the ball.

16. Miami Dolphins. Arizona Cardinals East. Questions (but promise) at the QB position, one great WR and some question marks, a promising RB corps but questions on offensive line, and a defense that couldn't stop anyone last year. I like this team and expect them to move up the rankings, but I need to see more.

17. Houston Texans. They've set up residence right in the middle of the league. They have the talent to be a playoff contender on offense, but their secondary will not allow them to keep pace in a very good AFC South.

18. Atlanta Falcons. They can't rush the passer, and they don't have the players in the secondary. Michael Turner will not recover from the Curse of 370.

19. Pittsburgh Steelers. The NFL is a quarterback-driven league, and you can't lose one of the top 5 QBs in the league for a quarter of the season and recover. Not in this division.

20. Chicago Bears. Jay Cutler + Mike Martz = The most sideline dysfunction since Marty Schottenheimer worked with Jeff George. The defense is getting old very quickly.

21. Philadelphia Eagles. The Eagles had the 22nd ranked rushing attack in the NFL last season. You can do that when you have Donovan McNabb under center. When you have Kevin Kolb, you can't. The defense lacks playmakers.

22. Denver Broncos. The AFC West is bad, bad, bad. Denver is admitting that they're starting from scratch. Why is there reason to believe that the offense will be better this year after evacuating their best player, or that the defense will improve over the one that folded down the stretch last season?

23. Seattle Seahawks. Maybe Pete Carroll ends up being a good NFL coach in his second time through, but this is a team in transition. This offensive line will not be able to protect Matt Hasselback's blind side, especially when he's looking over his shoulder at Charlie Whitehurst.

24. Carolina Panthers. A good running game will get you far in the NFL, but without a good pass rush and anything from the QB position, it might not get you out of the first half of the NFL draft.

25. Oakland Raiders. I believe that a team can win with Jason Campbell as their starting quarterback. But do they have the offensive line to protect him and the defensive front seven to allow the running game to be a factor?

26. Detroit Lions. The offensive pieces are all in place; Matt Stafford can be a leader. The defense has to be the next project as Jim Schwartz tries to fill gaps in his roster with aging veterans for a second year.

27. Jacksonville Jaguars. They have a quarterback and a running back they can win with, but that defense needs playmakers in a terrible way. They're hanging a lot of hope on the balky knee of Aaron Kampmann.

28. Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Young coach and general manager are still trying to figure out how to be successful. They're going to have to learn more quickly if they're going to keep their jobs into 2011.

29. St. Louis Rams. They're beginning to get some pieces together so that there's a glimmer of a future in place, but it's going to take time. The offensive line has to be a worry.

30. Kansas City Chiefs. I understand what the thinking is with the moves that they've made, but do you really want to place the trust in your team in Jamaal Charles?

31. Cleveland Browns. I think that Mike Holmgren is eventually going to figure out a way to make this team competitive, but it's going to take a while, and Eric Mangini doesn't have a lot of authority left in that locker room.

32. Buffalo Bills. I feel sorry for fans of this franchise. They seem to be an ownership death away from relocation, and there's nothing to hope for for this team in 2010. There's a lot of talent in Buffalo that no one gets to see.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I like your write-ups on the teams. I do not see the Redskins finishing the season better than 9-7 though. I also think that the Vikings win the NFC North if/when Brett Favre decides to play. I also think that the Saints should be rated #1 until they get knocked off of their throne.

Overall though, I think you did a good job.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
The only thing I could really debate is the Eagles and where they are ranked. Offensively I agree with the breakdown.

Defensively, they were DESTROYED by injury last year. I think a healthy defense is going to give them a couple more wins this year, and maybe a wildcard birth.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The only thing I could really debate is the Eagles and where they are ranked. Offensively I agree with the breakdown.

Defensively, they were DESTROYED by injury last year. I think a healthy defense is going to give them a couple more wins this year, and maybe a wildcard birth.

I get this, but I mean how were they destroyed by injuries? I guess that Stewart Bradley was out all season, but do we know that he was going to be the second coming of Paul Posluzny? The guy had 86 tackles in 16 games two years ago.

Despite that, the Eagles still ranked 12th in the NFL in total defense, but 19th in the NFL in scoring defense. The question with the Philadelphia Eagles is who are you afraid of when you look across the field from under center? Trent Cole and no one else.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
30. Kansas City Chiefs. I understand what the thinking is with the moves that they've made, but do you really want to place the trust in your team in Jamaal Charles?

Good list. Didn't the Chiefs sign Thomas Jones? I realize he no longer has an upside but don't you think he can be effective for a season or 2 if Charles isn't? No problem though with where the Chiefs are ranked just the comment attached.

I wish the season would just hurry up and get here so we would have some stuff to actually talk about.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Good list. Didn't the Chiefs sign Thomas Jones? I realize he no longer has an upside but don't you think he can be effective for a season or 2 if Charles isn't? No problem though with where the Chiefs are ranked just the comment attached.

I wish the season would just hurry up and get here so we would have some stuff to actually talk about.

Maybe, but I don't think that Haley will turn to Jones if Charles is ineffective. I don't like the Chiefs' offensive line at all. Charles I think is an injury risk, and TJ is a player I like a lot, but I don't think that he can be successful in Weis's system with those players in front of him.

On the other hand, Weis was a guy who got 1600 yards out of Corey Dillon.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Green Bay Packers. This is a team that grew up quickly last season. As good as this team was last year, they're entering Year 2 in the 3-4 defensive alignment, and players should actually know what they're doing. This team lacks weaknesses.

What? The Packers? The same team the Cards bruised for 156 yards rushing, threw for 375 and 5 touchdowns, and sacked Rodgers 5 times? GB sucks.

:D

:koolaid:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Great write up and reasoning K9 and I appreciate the time you put into it.

I do disagree with some of it (I think the Chiefs and Falcons are going to be better then you do, and while I love Aaron Rodgers, I don't love their HC or CB depth) but overall great effort.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
What? The Packers? The same team the Cards bruised for 156 yards rushing, threw for 375 and 5 touchdowns, and sacked Rodgers 5 times? GB sucks.

:koolaid:

You know B.J. Raji was playing on essentially one leg all season last year. He'll be better this year, and I think Aaron Rogers will somehow be as well, especially if their TE continues to develop into the best receiving TE in the NFL. He has the potential to do that, the only question is does he have the desire.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
good stuff k9

here's mine:

1) Saints-Drew Brees, dynamic offense, still the Champs until knocked off.

2) Cowpies-Probably the best starting 22 in the NFL. God, please don't punish us having to watch them in a home Super Bowl!!!

3) GB-Last year was just the start of what's brewing in Lambeau...scaaaaaary.

4) Indy-Manning & a solid D with 2 special DE's always make them a threat for a title.

5) Min-With #4 they have legit title hopes without they are might not see a playoff berth in the tough NFC despite the talent.

6) SD-Rivers has a brand new Corvette in the backfield that makes their offense better. Can Norv Turner finally get over the hump & get to a Super Bowl as HC?

7) Ravens-Can Quan ignite the Ravens passing game? Secondary issues a big corncern!!!

8) Giants-Still a threat despite a non playoff season a year ago. The defense, a Giant standby will rise again in 2010.

9) J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets-$$$ concerns in NY? Many want their paydays that could have ramifications during the season. Is Sanchez a star?

10) Skins-Now that Washington has a top QB, they could finally break thru. Can they survive the tough NFC east?

11) Ten-Got rolling during 2nd half playoff run. Vince Young has regained the confidence of his team & his coach.

12) NE-They have Brady & Moss but is there enough D for the Pats? Could be their last shot.

13) Cin-Very underrated defense. Carson Palmer hasn't been the same since his postseason knee injury though.

14) SF-Talented defense & offense could be better this season with a better passing game. I think they win the West because of less question marks than AZ.

15) Miami-Great running game with an up & coming defense. If Henne takes his games up to another level Fins could be in playoffs.

16) Texans-Very good offense but in the wrong division.

17) Pit-When people count out the Stealers they prove the doubters wrong. Can Leftwich keep them from starting 1-3? If so, they climb to #8 in my rankings.

18) AZ-While the overall talent may be better, lots of changes aren't always good when you're a playoff team. Questions...questions. Does #7 crack under the pressure of having 1 season to succeed? Can Washington replace Dansby? Will Hayes' back be an issue? Can the Redbirds finally generate a consistant outside pass rush? Do we have enough quality DB's to cover? Does changing 4 of 5 Olineman cause chemistry issues?

19) Atl-Offense...no defense!!!

20) Phi-Dynamic playmakers on offense, but can Kolb carry on the torch passed to him by McNabb? was their D really as bad as 2009 showed?

21) Den
22) Chi
23) oak
24) Sea
25) TB
26) Det
27) Jax
28) KC
29) Cle
30) Car
31) Buf
32) Stl