The Power of Paradigms

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I don’t know if he sees it this way but Drew Petzing used the power of paradigms to befuddle the Cowboys Sunday. If you’re not familiar with the word “paradigms” I strongly recommend Joel Barker’s writings or videos about Discovering the Future. Paradigms are a framework which impact the way we view the world.

Mostly paradigms are discussed because of paradigm shifts. Those occur when our framework changes. Before Darwin’s Theory of Evolution it was typically believed different species variations were created by divine provident. Now evolutionary mutation is widely accepted. It’s the new paradigm. Sometimes our framework becomes so rigid it blinds us to change; paradigm paralysis.

Knowingly or not it was this paralysis that made the Cards’ offense work so well Sunday. Petzing replaced Connor with Moore at RB and the Cowboys were oblivious to the change. When Moore got through the line of scrimmage, he just ran in a straight line and the Cowboys couldn’t wrap their mind around what they were seeing. Their paradigm was the Cards didn’t have a breakaway runner. That brief hesitation was all it took to result in a 45 yard TD. In a similar fashion, using a common Cardinal formation the Cards slipped Wilson in the spot normally occupied by a TE. When he ran a fly route no Cowboy picked him up as there wasn’t supposed to be a deep threat at TE. They couldn’t “picture” what was happening to them. By the time they adjusted they were victimized by a 40 yard pass.

I’m not certain but I think they used a similar strategy on defense. With their normal DL in position, they placed Thomas on the hip of the DE on the weak side of the offense. I’ve never seen that alignment with the second defender that tight to another player. The Cowboys seemed to see the two players as if they were one. The OT engaged the Cards’ DE, but no one seemed aware of Thomas. He simply looped around the O-line unblocked and made the stop.

These were not trick plays, but merely unorthodox formations. They were so subtle they eluded the Cowboys’ top of mind awareness, leaving the moves ignored.

As teams become aware of this, it will decline in effectiveness. Still it’s worth noting this may be the most out-of-the-box thinking coaching staff in recent years. Every week I get more impressed by this staff. They do make what I see as mistakes but even if I’m right, I’m confident they will adjust. I still believe this is one of the weakest rosters I’ve seen. However, when this staff gets better players, the Cards should be even more exciting to watch. This week’s win figures to cause the league to take notice. The staff certainly caught me off-guard. I honestly have no clue what they may be able to accomplish going forward. They’ve already done the impossible. Color me amazed!

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Dunno about the pop psychology of this, but it was interesting to see Petzing add the motion that Miami has been using effectively with Moore at times.

What I love is that the Cards scored on every drive in the first half.

Teams usually look at the past four games worth of tape when planning for an opponent; it'll be interesting to see what happens when there's more documentation of this offense with this personnel after a few more weeks. Can't wait!

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
here is the thing that i find encouraging:

every D coordinator knows the Cards really want to run the ball and make life easier for their back up QB. Yet: they are able to run the ball.

this has to be more than players --

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t know if he sees it this way but Drew Petzing used the power of paradigms to befuddle the Cowboys Sunday. If you’re not familiar with the word “paradigms” I strongly recommend Joel Barker’s writings or videos about Discovering the Future. Paradigms are a framework which impact the way we view the world.

Mostly paradigms are discussed because of paradigm shifts. Those occur when our framework changes. Before Darwin’s Theory of Evolution it was typically believed different species variations were created by divine provident. Now evolutionary mutation is widely accepted. It’s the new paradigm. Sometimes our framework becomes so rigid it blinds us to change; paradigm paralysis.

Knowingly or not it was this paralysis that made the Cards’ offense work so well Sunday. Petzing replaced Connor with Moore at RB and the Cowboys were oblivious to the change. When Moore got through the line of scrimmage, he just ran in a straight line and the Cowboys couldn’t wrap their mind around what they were seeing. Their paradigm was the Cards didn’t have a breakaway runner. That brief hesitation was all it took to result in a 45 yard TD. In a similar fashion, using a common Cardinal formation the Cards slipped Wilson in the spot normally occupied by a TE. When he ran a fly route no Cowboy picked him up as there wasn’t supposed to be a deep threat at TE. They couldn’t “picture” what was happening to them. By the time they adjusted they were victimized by a 40 yard pass.

I’m not certain but I think they used a similar strategy on defense. With their normal DL in position, they placed Thomas on the hip of the DE on the weak side of the offense. I’ve never seen that alignment with the second defender that tight to another player. The Cowboys seemed to see the two players as if they were one. The OT engaged the Cards’ DE, but no one seemed aware of Thomas. He simply looped around the O-line unblocked and made the stop.

These were not trick plays, but merely unorthodox formations. They were so subtle they eluded the Cowboys’ top of mind awareness, leaving the moves ignored.

As teams become aware of this, it will decline in effectiveness. Still it’s worth noting this may be the most out-of-the-box thinking coaching staff in recent years. Every week I get more impressed by this staff. They do make what I see as mistakes but even if I’m right, I’m confident they will adjust. I still believe this is one of the weakest rosters I’ve seen. However, when this staff gets better players, the Cards should be even more exciting to watch. This week’s win figures to cause the league to take notice. The staff certainly caught me off-guard. I honestly have no clue what they may be able to accomplish going forward. They’ve already done the impossible. Color me amazed!

Not just the offense either.

The defense too. There was one early on where Dak was so confused by what they were doing he completely lost track of the clock and caused a delay of game.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i use to get so aggravated when we’d throw a swing/outlet pass to our rb and a defensive player was all over him. I had the Chiefs game on a second tv. Mahomes went back to pass and ending up dumping it of to the rb in the flat for an EASY 8 yard game. It has to be the play design, right?
Five minutes later Dobbs went back to pass and ended up dumping it off to the rb… for an easy 8 yard gain.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
here is the thing that i find encouraging:

every D coordinator knows the Cards really want to run the ball and make life easier for their back up QB. Yet: they are able to run the ball.

this has to be more than players --
I think we’re able to run the ball because Dobbs kept making big completions early in the game. Dobbs is making throw most backups can’t complete and teams can’t just stack the box to take the run away.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson