Plans to address our PG Situation For Start of Season

How should we address the PG position for this season?

• Total voters

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So maybe Taylor decides to give Thibs his way and they trade Kat instead of Butler? Would anyone here do something like a Chandler, Ayton, Bender, Daniels (plus a pick or two) for Towns, Teague and Dieng?
Is that what Thibs wants? I thought he wanted to keep everyone. I know KAT is a sure thing and all, but Ayton could be better (or maybe worse). Its taken this long to get the #1 pick, I want to keep him. I know it might be a bit irrational.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Is that what Thibs wants? I thought he wanted to keep everyone. I know KAT is a sure thing and all, but Ayton could be better (or maybe worse). Its taken this long to get the #1 pick, I want to keep him. I know it might be a bit irrational.
I think I have the same irrationality. It could come back to bite us.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think I have the same irrationality. It could come back to bite us.
Ayton is bigger, has a better body than KAT. He moves better. He is stronger. He loves to play with contact. He can jump higher. I don't want to play cautious here.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't really know what Thibs wants other than we know he's a Butler fan. As for preferring Ayton over Kat, yeah, that's probably irrational. And yeah, I feel the same way even though I know how often it backfires when you bet on potential over performance.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. I don't know how I'd feel if I were a Wolves fan. They're going to be paying 65m plus per year for Wiggins and Towns when Kat's contract kicks in.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ayton is bigger, has a better body than KAT. He moves better. He is stronger. He loves to play with contact. He can jump higher. I don't want to play cautious here.
I don’t disagree with anything you said. The counter to that is . . . KAT has done it in the nba, Ayton hasn’t done anything yet.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I am far less enamored with Ayton than most people here, but I think I'd stick with him now. I have concerns about his defense, I have concerns about his drive, but KAT is a terrible defender with no drive either. Also, with him and Booker being maxed out, the Suns would not be able to further upgrade their roster beyond some minor pieces. I don't think Booker and KAT get you to the top.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lakers aren’t taking on long term deals. It would have to be a 3-way but I think the Lakers would probably do it for a 1st.

Really? I don't read any Lakers forums but that sounds extreme to me. Giving up on the number 2 pick after just one season? Unless you're talking about us giving up our unprotected first instead of the Milwaukee pick, that might make it slightly more palatable. Still seems far too little though.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Lakers aren't trading Ball. The only way they do is if Lebron tells them to after he's played with him some. Even then, he would probably ask for veteran help. They could use Ball as the centerpiece of a deal to get a disgruntled star. They have plenty of role players right now.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Really? I don't read any Lakers forums but that sounds extreme to me. Giving up on the number 2 pick after just one season? Unless you're talking about us giving up our unprotected first instead of the Milwaukee pick, that might make it slightly more palatable. Still seems far too little though.

If the plan is to trade for Lonzo Ball, I think the best strategy is to wait for LaVar to publicly criticize LeBron. That should be good for a solid discount. :)

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I went to a Jazz fan group and asked about trading for Rubio and if he's not available then Exum or Neto and they all like Jackson but don't want to see a deal happen. They would part with Neto if he wasn't best friends with Gobert but since he is they don't want to potentially anger Gobert. We know how that situation can go. They're hoping to keep Rubio this next offseason but don't feel confident in doing that. Utah has had a hard time keeping and signing free agents so they hope to build on what they have rather than be forced to retool.

I asked them about Kokoskov also and they all love him and were sad to see him go. Saying he was instrumental in the teams success. Most credit him for all player development. They said we shouldn't trade our youth for a stop gap PG because Igor can make that youth more valuable with time. If we need a PG that bad, hope Igor turns one of our guys into one or wait to trade once he's raised the value of some of our youth to get a better return.

Rubio being a free agent soon while the Suns have Igor, money, and a starting job for him is not something they like very much also. I think that's a fear of theirs that didn't fully elaborate on but it was mentioned.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

I think they’d move on from Ball sooner than people think. For one he’s a WOAT-level shooter and needs the ball which is a terrible fit with Lebron. Two, I think they thought he’d be further along otherwise they wouldn’t have signed a starting PG in FA. Three, $$$... He’s due 9 mil next year and the Lakers are star hunting next summer. Maybe not just for a 1st but he’s hardly untouchable and probably their 4th best young player going forward after Ingram, Kuzma and Hart.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I went to a Jazz fan group and asked about trading for Rubio and if he's not available then Exum or Neto and they all like Jackson but don't want to see a deal happen. They would part with Neto if he wasn't best friends with Gobert but since he is they don't want to potentially anger Gobert. We know how that situation can go. They're hoping to keep Rubio this next offseason but don't feel confident in doing that. Utah has had a hard time keeping and signing free agents so they hope to build on what they have rather than be forced to retool.

I asked them about Kokoskov also and they all love him and were sad to see him go. Saying he was instrumental in the teams success. Most credit him for all player development. They said we shouldn't trade our youth for a stop gap PG because Igor can make that youth more valuable with time. If we need a PG that bad, hope Igor turns one of our guys into one or wait to trade once he's raised the value of some of our youth to get a better return.

Rubio being a free agent soon while the Suns have Igor, money, and a starting job for him is not something they like very much also. I think that's a fear of theirs that didn't fully elaborate on but it was mentioned.
Interesting that Igor is the point guard whisperer and the he almost immediately gets rid of Knight. Either he sees something in the other guards or there was absolutely no hope for Knight in his opinion.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Interesting that Igor is the point guard whisperer and the he almost immediately gets rid of Knight. Either he sees something in the other guards or there was absolutely no hope for Knight in his opinion.

I think it was the no hope in Knight. He did work with him a good bit since Knight showed up to work out with the SL roster. I think he saw all he needed in order to realize he wasn't who he wanted. That was actually a solid test for Knight. In that scenario if he was looking to score himself then that would reflect very badly on him. He wasn't playing so he should have been an extra body on defense and a distributor on offense. It's one thing if he had open looks that you don't want him to pass up, even if he's not playing with that squad in real games, but if he's jacking up contested shots and being ball dominant then it really makes you wonder why he's not passing the ball. He needed to prove he was healthy and that he could be a distributor, that's it. That shouldn't be hard for a real professional. Instead he had surgery not long after so who knows how healthy and ready he looked in addition to how much of a playmaker he was being.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Another thing I found funny about Jazz fans, they hate TJ Warren. He landed on Exum in preseason game and it caused Exum to dislocate his shoulder. It wasn't malicious but they still don't like him since he was involved in that injury. I can understand that to a certain extent. I know there are some players who have been on the team that fans disliked because they were involved in injuries to other Suns players. With Exum's injury history it might have been inevitable that something would happen but TJ happened to be involved and they haven't forgiven him for that.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Rubio being a free agent soon while the Suns have Igor, money, and a starting job for him is not something they like very much also. I think that's a fear of theirs that didn't fully elaborate on but it was mentioned.[/QUOTE]

Interesting, any reporting on his relationship with Igor?

Whats with the big drop in assists when he went from Minny to Utah from 9apg to 5apg?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Another thing I found funny about Jazz fans, they hate TJ Warren. He landed on Exum in preseason game and it caused Exum to dislocate his shoulder. It wasn't malicious but they still don't like him since he was involved in that injury. I can understand that to a certain extent. I know there are some players who have been on the team that fans disliked because they were involved in injuries to other Suns players. With Exum's injury history it might have been inevitable that something would happen but TJ happened to be involved and they haven't forgiven him for that.
Fans have to realize, TJ falls and hurts HIMSELF at least once per game. He is the most accident prone player I have ever seen! At some point I expect a paper cut from the Gatorade cups they use on the side lines.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Interesting, any reporting on his relationship with Igor?

Whats with the big drop in assists when he went from Minny to Utah from 9apg to 5apg?

Apparently they got along great and Igor has been credited with helping make him more assertive in looking for his own shot and scoring. He also helped him improve his shot, which was a bit flat before. They don't know if he would leave because he does like it there, according to reports, but Phoenix has Igor and that would be an opportunity for him to come in and play in a system he's familiar with and has excelled in. He probably had the most productive season of his career last year as far as helping his team win despite the dip in assists. It's odd how that happened with his assists being almost cut in half but he was more impactful than stats indicate, according to Utah fans and I can see that also. I went to one of the Suns/Jazz games last year and Rubio was everywhere that night, always in the middle of a play it seemed.

No extension talk that they've heard. He is on a large contract now that he hasn't lived up to until he went to Utah. He's making $15 million this year, so he got a Knight/Bledsoe type contract coming off his rookie deal but Minnesota basically gave him to Utah, they got the #20 pick in the draft in return. Apparently Utah brass want to see him perform like he did last year again. Without Kokoskov there it will be interesting to see if their offense is the same and he has the same impact. They questioned that possibility also. Best case for us is that he sucks and we can sign him cheap. I wouldn't mind giving up something in a trade to get him here sooner though, depending on what that is. If Snyder changes the offense a lot then Rubio might revert to his Minnesota form, putting up empty stats, and they'll want him gone. Exum had a good showing last year and they can play Mitchell at PG also, he's more of a PG than Booker. He's like a CJ McCollum/James Harden type of combo guard and can play either position.

As far as the drop in assists it has to do with how Utah's offense ran. Rubio was their PG but they spread the ball around a lot. They basically ran a dual PG offense with Rubio and Mitchell, with Mitchell handling the ball and running a high pick and roll with Rubio off on the wing. If Mitchell didn't find something for himself or others then he would kick it to an open Rubio who would shoot or facilitate for someone else. He had the ball in his hands less and didn't need to set up his teammates as much. His scoring was the best it's ever been so he managed to make an impact even though his assists went down. The numbers don't tell the full story though.

Here is an ESPN article that talks about the 6 most intriguing players headed into next year, Rubio is listed first. Reading that will help explain why his assists went down but he's actually contributing more.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...oston-celtics-lineups-most-intriguing-players

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
thats exactly what the suns need, an offense run through a competent PG and Booker.

sounds like a perfect fit to me

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard