Plans to address our PG Situation For Start of Season

How should we address the PG position for this season?

• Total voters

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know we all seem to be in varying degrees of panic about the PG position. There is no question we need an upgrade. Who or what that upgrade is has been debated quite a bit. I want to know who thinks what about the PG position next year though. I tried to fit our options on the poll and expanded on each of the choices here...

1. Should we go all in on a Kemba Walker type of PG that can fill the PG role now and in the future? That would probably eat up our planned max cap space next summer but adding someone like Walker would lessen the need for big money next summer since PG is our biggest hole. We should still have some free agent money to add a role player or two but that's it. That would cost us most of our assets though. Assets like the Bucks pick, Warren, and possibly Jackson. Not all 3 but probably 2 of those 3 things.

2. Another option is swinging for the fences and future by giving something up of value to bring in a potential PG of the future like Tyus Jones, Spencer Dinwiddie, or Delon Wright? That could be expensive but it should be cheaper than a Kemba. Probably only cost one of our assets like the Bucks pick, Jackson, or maybe Warren? Maybe someone like Bender also but definitely less than a Kemba type PG but it could solve our issues long term. We might need to eat a bad contract to do this also, that would be an asset of sort, sacrificing our cap space next summer.

3. Or should we look for a trade for an established vet like a Patrick Beverly type rental that we might be able to get for a 2nd round pick or an expiring deal like Chandler or Daniels. This would be a rental and only help this year and we address the position next offseason when we have real money to spend. Some stop-gap players might be on the books longer but they're cheaper deals also so it shouldn't effect our cap space next summer much, if at all.

4. Should we run with what we have and hope it works out? Maybe slide Booker to PG if no decent players end up being cut after training camp concludes around the league. There's the chance some veteran will get waived for roster space elsewhere after training camp but that should not be anything we plan on. This is the stand pat, wait and see option that involves a PG rotation of Canaan, Harrison, Okobo, Melton, and probably Booker. If someone does become available that way, we can give it a shot though.

I think those are our choices. I tried to think of more but that's pretty much it. Like I said, I tried to get everything more detailed in this post and numbered them so it's easy to figure out. I can't really think of any other options. The wait and see approach in #4 is probably the least attractive but best plan going forward to keep our options open completely in case something or someone ends up becoming available.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would prefer we trade for a PG of the Future but it's pointless this year since we'll be pretty bad anyway. I don't trust McD like I used to and am not sure he would land the right player. That could screw us pretty bad also. If we were close to 500 and stood a chance at the playoffs at the deadline then I would give that a shot then but that's after running with what we have until then.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Where's the "anything but #3" option?

I almost did that, kind of. I had 8 spots open on the poll and I was going to have pick your favorite and pick your least favorite. I decided that might be confusing though. If I numbered it right then it should be easy to follow but I'm sure it wouldn't go as planned.

People are free to number them in a post though. I think I would go 4, 2, 3, and 1 in that order. I don't want to try trading for a star or near star like Kemba. The only PG I would consider in a scenario like that is Rubio, like I mentioned in another thread. He should be in the 3 camp if he didn't turn things around so much last summer. He would probably cost as much as Kemba now but I think he would probably be the best fit of active PG's in the league not named Steph Curry. Curry could fit anywhere, IMO. Chris Paul probably could also. Neither of them are available, not even worth dreaming about.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
"Bring Knight back" option :cheers:

Do another poll, which retread PG of the past do you want back? Knight, Bledsoe, or IT. I'd leave Dragic out because he would win, easily. I would go with IT, even though he's probably the worst playmaker of the 3. He has heart, plays hard, and might will our youngsters along sooner than we think like he did in Boston.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I voted #4 as the closest to my view which is to go with whoever Koskokov wants. This is also the most likely option.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I voted #4 as the closest to my view which is to go with whoever Koskokov wants. This is also the most likely option.

If that's the case, we're screwed, not just this season but for the foreseeable future, in my opinion.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1 and 2 are a tossup for me followed by 4. If 3 had a different example than Beverley, I'd have moved it up the list. For example, I don't think TJ McConnell is the answer as our starter but he'd improve our team and I'd be willing to give up our extra first for him. And there's a few others I'd be willing to trade that pick and or Warren or Bender for that would likewise only improve us a little.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
1 and 2 are a tossup for me followed by 4. If 3 had a different example than Beverley, I'd have moved it up the list. For example, I don't think TJ McConnell is the answer as our starter but he'd improve our team and I'd be willing to give up our extra first for him. And there's a few others I'd be willing to trade that pick and or Warren or Bender for that would likewise only improve us a little.

Yeah, I voted for 3, but McConnell is more the kind of player I have in mind than Beverley. But I'm not sure I would go as far as trading actual assets for any of the guys who are likely to be readily available. Still, there is probably going to be someone out there you can get for a second (or even pick up off waivers once rosters are set) who will be better than Harrison/Canaan.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
A first for TJ McConnell. Ugh, yuck, and vomit. And I like him.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'd lean toward #3, but it sounds like Beverly himself isn't the answer, so I wonder what "someone like" him means.

Rubio is intriguing. What would Utah want? Does Warren, Bender, and the MIL pick get it done?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
This is tricky. Options one and two are intriguing, but it's more complicated than that. Kemba Walker would probably cost us quite a bit, and then he could either Walk or make more money than Booker next year. Do you give up a promising youngster or two for someone who may walk or demand a super-max?

As for option 2, it depends on who it is, how much it would cost to get them and can we just pick them up next summer without giving anything up?

I am not opposed to a stop-gap point guard, but again, who exactly and at what cost?

As for rolling with what we have...really not crazy about that, but I'd rather go with that than trade JJ, picks, etc for a Kemba Walker who walks next summer, or demands a super-max.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A first for TJ McConnell. Ugh, yuck, and vomit. And I like him.

I feel the same way but I'm only talking about our extra pick. Milwaukee is in the East, is fairly loaded and has a highly regarded Head Coach.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I am pretty convinced we could get someone serviceable for a second rounder if McD doesn't flip out and overpay... not a sure thing by any means, given past history.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'd lean toward #3, but it sounds like Beverly himself isn't the answer, so I wonder what "someone like" him means.

Rubio is intriguing. What would Utah want? Does Warren, Bender, and the MIL pick get it done?
They are a team that is “contending” now, why would they unload their pg? And especially for that pupu platter?

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
I voted for #2.

Since there still isn't anything magical out there, I'm all for trading for Dinwiddie. He has both upside and production to his game. His contract is cheap. He won't cost a ton. He's 6-6, and just posted a crazy good 4.125 A:TO.

I'd give up a non lottery pick for him. I'm not overly excited about adding ANOTHER prospect we land in the teens, so I'd protect the Milwaukee pick if they don't bite on two 2nd rounders.