Official Tournament Score thread

BirdMan21

Ex-Ex-AP Hype Man
Reaction score
This has been one of the best tournaments I have ever watched. Now GMU looks like they are going to pull the upset too....WOW

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Snake said:
If anyone did, I'd be incredibly shocked.

I was joking because there is just about zero chance that anyone had them in the final four. They hadn't won a single tourney game before this run of theirs this season ... not a single one.

With Florida looking to upset Villanova (and they are in control at the moment), this could be the first tourney since 1980 where no #1 seeds made the final four. Crazy stuff

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
That's great! I can't stand Connecticut or their coach. UCONN got all the calls against Washington and after the game all the media gushed about Connecticut's "heart" and how they were so good that they could turn it on and turn it off whenever they wanted.

I think I'm more happy that UCONN lost than I am Duke.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
boisesuns said:
That was an ugly game. Memphis looked uninspired and bad.:barf:

there were times where either team could have left the court on defense and the other wouldn't have scored.

Memphis' free throw defense is outstanding, best I've seen all year (-: I was glad Calipari didn't complain about the foul disparity and FT disparity since it became quite obvious Memphis was fouling UCLA on purpose because they kept missing the free throws. UCLA played behind the posts and dared them to score 1 on 1, most of the time they walked. Memphis fronted the post and UCLA threw over the top for baskets or fouls and I think Calipari figured we'll change when they start making some of those freethrows.

They sure got to Farmar he had his worst game as a Bruin, but Hollins was huge and Afflalo competely took Carney out of his game. Just brutal to watch, but I'll take 2 more brutal wins for UCLA for sure.

LSU looks awfully tough, they have 8 losses and the least impressive was Houston by 1 point and Houston won 21 games, every other team they lost to this year made the NCAA's and most were close losses.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Renz said:
That's great! I can't stand Connecticut or their coach. UCONN got all the calls against Washington and after the game all the media gushed about Connecticut's "heart" and how they were so good that they could turn it on and turn it off whenever they wanted.

I think I'm more happy that UCONN lost than I am Duke.

Thrilled to see UCONN out even though I picked them all the way. They are an example of everything wrong with college sports. If they'd won and we get the shots of Marcus Williams holding up the trophy I think I'd have tossed my cookies. It almost would have been worth it if someone had then had teh balls to ask Calhoun "do you feel you're a hypocrite with Marcus playing most of the season leading you to the title while AJ Price is suspended the whole year and they got caught doing the same thing?"

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go Gators! Soon there's going to be yet another championship for the state of Florida.

:)

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UCLA - Florida for the National Championship!!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go Bruins.

Should be an excellent final. Imagine how bad this score would have been if UCLA hadn't kept throwing away outlets to wide open bigs(Luc and Aboya) streaking in. I counted at least 4 of those. The UCLA bigs just outrun LSU all night. UCLA scored 12 points in the last roughly 13 minutes, and still won handily, Howland simply cleared his bench and started running clock.

Florida shoots the ball a lot better than LSU does, I'm not sure they're used to the kind of physical play they'll see from UCLA, but they're awfully good. The matchups seem to play out nicely, I figure Farmar on Green, Afflalo on Humphrey, Bozeman on Brewer, Hollins on Noah and Luc on Horford. I think we'll see a lot of Collison again he really changes tempo when he's in.

The key advantage UCLA has in these games is they can throw so many fouls at a good frontline, Hollins, Mata, Aboya, even Fey and Wright in small doses. It really allows Howland to play that physical defense and not worry about bigmen in foul trouble.

I think it'll be a good game, just hope UCLA doesn't have one of those long scoring droughts they've struggled with all year.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If UCLA can shut down Florida's guards, then they should have no problem winning!

Russ - when Howland was hired, could you have imagined him getting UCLA to the finals in just 3 seasons?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dback Jon said:
If UCLA can shut down Florida's guards, then they should have no problem winning!

Russ - when Howland was hired, could you have imagined him getting UCLA to the finals in just 3 seasons?

no.

After the LSU game on bay area local tv ex USF coach Dan Belluomini was talking about a discussion he had with Ben not long after he took the job. Charlie Villanueva had just signed with UConn after flirting with the NBA and UCLA had recruited him so Belluomini said "well that's a tough blow, you need players like that to build a program." And Ben told him "Dan I'm not really that disappointed to lose him, I want guys who will play 3-4 years I don't want 1-2 year players. The kid is talented and I recruited him because the prior staff was recruiting him and he was still interested so I felt obligated to keep recruiting him." Howland went on to say he'd briefly recruited him while at Pitt(early in Charlies HS career) but when it became clear he was more interested in jumping to the NBA, he stopped recruiting him. the other recruit he inherited from Lavin was Ariza who played one year and jumped. You got the impression Ben wasn't all that concerned he didn't want those kind of guys he wanted guys who were team players.

So he then tells him I want kids to compete, play hard on defense, and I need great guard play. It doesn't happen overnight you gotta go out and get what you need, we don't have it yet but we do have some talent to work with and we'll get there eventually. But Belluomini said even Howland didn't expect to be in a NC game this early.

I think they're a full year ahead of schedule, without Shipp I had no inkling they could get this far.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard