My 2005 Power Rankings

bleedblk&gld

Rookie
Reaction score
1. New England Patriots - The first dynasty of the 21st century surely won't be out for the running this 2005 season. Parting ways with few and filling in the gaps is what Belichick does the best. Adding Ellis Hobbs should give some hope for their young DB core along with Logan Mankins adding depth to the OL. C. Dillon seems to have found his home along with T. Brady and his new contract. One thing that concerns me though, and that's if Mr. Mangini can fill in those big shoes of former DC Romeo Crennel.
My Prediction: 11-5 losses (Panthers, Falcons, Bills, Chargers, Broncos)

2. Minnesotta Vikings - It's like undoing your pants button after feasting, Randy Moss is finally gone. As much as he was great for the team he wasn't happy, nor was the team. Culpepper is the real star of this team and even with Moss gone he'll still throw up 30+ td's this season. N. Burleson, T. Williamson, T. Taylor, K. Campbell and M. Robinson will make sure of it. The Vikings have added some very much needed players to their D such as, D. Sharper, F. Smoot and Erasmus James. They had the best offseason this year so i'm thinking BIG for this team.
My Prediction 12-4 losses (Ravens, Saints, Panthers, Lions)

3. San Diego Chargers - Shawn Merriman and Luis Castillo are two HUGE additions to this defense. You think this team was good last year, ha, they might be the first team to show Brady what a playoff L looks like. L. Tomlinson will have another outstanding year, K. McCardell will finally get back to his potential, A. Gates will continue to become one of the elite and D. Brees.......well with those people surrounding you, along with a very solid OL, he shouldn't have a problem showing Rivers the door.
My Prediction: 13-3 losses (Bills, Raiders 2x)

4. Atlanta Falcons- Now that everyone is making fun of the most exciting player ever to watch, besides Barry, the Falcons don't seem so tough. Well my friends you can Ron Mexico all you want the Falcons are still a force to be reckoned with. Their D is only getting better every year and with this years addition, Ed Hartwell, it will only bring more offenses to their knees. Let's all just hope that Roddy White isn't a bust.
My Prediction: 11-5 losses (Panthers 2x, Saints, Vikings, Bills)

5. Pittsburgh Steelers-The Steelers are coming off of a cinderella year. No one thought that they were going to be that good. Not even Steeler fans, but somehow from the gods above they managed to shock us all. B. Rothlisberger has only 1 loss to his 14 wins in the NFL. ****, he's 30-1 in his last 31 games. The Steeler D is beyond good and their offense is starting to catch rythym, adding Heath Miller will sure help out. I'm thinking playoffs and possibly SB if they play their cards right.
My Prediction: 11-5 losses (Patriots, Chargers, Bengals, Ravens, Vikings)

6. Philadelphia Eagles - The Eagles will have another great year due to their very very VERY good defense and they might come out with a SB W even without T.O. cause no matter what McNabb is still a beast no matter who he's throwing to and Reid is tired of coming SO CLOSE!!!!! Reggie Brown will definitely be a factor for this team along with Mike Patterson adding depth to the D-Line. Also, i think Ryan Moats was a steal in the draft. The Eagles need to focus on this season and don't worry about what T.O. does. He's an incredible WR and extremely valuable to any team, but if this continues into the season, they need to focus on winning without him.
My Prediction: 12-4 lossses (Falcons, Chargers, Redskins, Cowboys)

7. Baltimore Ravens - Well hopefully this year this team becomes a little more alive then last. Adding Adam Terry and Mark Clayton should help out Boller and gang, but with J. Lewis and his little controversy things could go down hill. Their defense is still in the top 3, so let's hope they can pull the weight again this year. I have a feeling they will struggle at away games this year.
My Prediction: 10-6 losses (Jets, Steelers, Broncos, Browns, Bengals, Jaguars)

8. New Orleans Saints - Every year the Saints get the hype of being the team with huge potential, but failing to use it when needed. J. Haslett was close to seeing the door before his 4-0 run in the final games of December last year and considering it’s his 4th year missing the playoffs by one game, AGAIN, he still has his chance to shine. Free Agent’s D. Smith and J. Mayberry are huge additions to this team along with J. Brown, A. Fincher and J. Bullocks. Let’s hope the Saints play up to their potential or Haslett and Brooks might be helping each other pack.
My Prediction: 10-6 losses (Panthers, Falcons, Bucs, Patriots, Bills, Jets)

9. Buffalo Bills - Defense wins championships, with the help of a descent offense. J.P. Losman is a gift sent from the football gods. Most people don’t know his potential due to his college years with the struggling Tulane Greenwave, but he’ll prove himself early this year. W. McGahee is looking to become one of the elite and with this young offense I’m sure he will. With not having a first round pick they didn’t have much of a chance to take any big names, but that’s not to say R. Parrish won’t shine for this young offense. With L. Evans and E. Moulds showing him the way, he’ll be sure to break out.
My Prediction: 10-6 losses (Patriots, Dolphins, Broncos, Raiders, Texans, Bucs)

10. Arizona Cardinals - The Cardinals may have found their calling adding K. Warner to the roster. We all know that Warner is dangerous with good receivers and with L. Fitzgerald and A. Boldin he shouldn’t have a problem showing his skills. J.J. Arrington and A. Rolle are two huge additions for this team, along with some free agents to fill in the much needed gaps. Let’s hope Arrington isn’t a bust. This team needs a RB, bad, and yes this team will lose it’s last 3 games.
My Prediction: 10-6 losses (Jaguars, Rams 2x, Colts, Cowboys)

11. Dallas Cowboys - Oh yes, i did it. I have faith in ol Drew and Tuna. Adding K. Burnett, M. Spears and D. Ware to this D isn't considered wrong, that's just unfair. The Cowboys have a middle of the road offense with promise showing from J. Jones and even though their receiving core isn't the best, K. Johnson and Q. Morgan will be enough for ol Drew. I'm thinking BIG for this team this year because Tuna's hungry and he's tired of eating defeat.
My Prediction: 10-6 losses (Eagles, Redskins, Chiefs, Rams, Chargers, Giants)

12. Jacksonville Jaguars - The Jaguars are looking for some hope from their young QB B. Leftwich and with the addition of Matt Jones and Chad (Mighty Mouse) Owens, they finally might be in business. Their defense is still amongst the top 10 in the league and they continue to get better every year. This year the Jags will struggle do to a tough schedule and even though i believe they will be able to take down the Colts they’ll still have trouble with the rest. They squeeze in the playoffs with a huge grand finale winning their last 7 of 8 games.
My Prediction: 9-7 losses (Steelers, Seahawks, Broncos, Rams, Bengals, Texans, Jets)

13. Denver Broncos - This team is on the edge of making or breaking. Shanahan is a mastermind when it comes to the running game and with M. Clarret looking to show his skills this may just work out for both parties. D. Williams gets his chance to side up with C. Bailey, even though his injury his final year at OSU kept him from showing his skills. To be honest i have no clue as to how the Broncos will finish this year. I’m just going off of what they should accomplish with the talent they have. Adding J. Rice can be helpful for J. Plummer and the receiving core, lets just hope T. Bell can keep the running game alive so Plummer doesn’t become the turnover king again.
My Prediction: 9-7 losses (Chargers 2x, Chiefs, Raiders, Eagles, Cowboys, Giants,)

14. Seattle Seahawks - The Seahawks are another team in the NFC that have the talent and potential but can’t seem to cap the W when they need it the most. I rank Seattle at 14 because they’re on the edge of either becoming really good or really bad. Drafting Center C. Spencer in the first round still has me wondering why, but with solid second round selections they make up for it. L. Tatupu is a very solid LB with speed, determination and the heart of a lion. Hopefully he can help out at the much need MLB position. Adding J. Sharper and A. Dyson will bring this D back to par.
My Prediction: 9-7 losses (Eagles, Rams, Cardinals 2x, Colts, Cowboys, Falcons)

15. Carolina Panthers - Another year of struggling to catch rhythm will keep this team from making the play-offs again. The defense continues to get better while the offense is hoping to stay healthy. S. Davis is close to the end of his career while D. Foster is just getting started and even though they’re both elite backs, someone’s going to be watching from the sidelines. J. Delhomme continues to show promise of becoming another Tom Brady except his coach is no Belichick. The Panthers will lose some very close games this year.
My Prediction: 9-7 losses (Saints, Bills, Cardinals, Cowboys, Lions, Dolphins, Packers)

16. Indianapolis Colts- P. Manning is coming off of his record breaking season of most TD's thrown in one season, which is pretty impressive, and as much as i think their offense is quite lethal, their D can't keep up with the pace. The draft helped out tremendously by adding Marlin Jackson and Kelvin Hayden, and also with Freeny getting better they're sure to improve. But i doubt this year will be the year. They’ll take a seat as AFC South Champs and try to regroup next year
My Prediction: 8-8 losses (Chargers, Patriots, Jax 2x, Steelers, Ravens, Texans 2x)

17. Washington Redskins - Jason Campbell was a steal in this draft especially for the QB struggling Redskins. With Ramsey getting no faith from team members and fans he’ll be heading for the door soon enough. Adding C. Rogers to that mean defense is surely going to make teams hate playing the Skins. C. Portis is still young and full of..........potential to get better and better every year. Let’s not lose faith in ole Gibbs, he’ll bring this team back to the playoffs. Just not this year.
My Prediction: 8-8 losses (Eagles, Cowboys, Cardinals, Chargers, Broncos, Seahawks, Raiders, Giants)

18. Cincinnati Bengals - Is 7/11 open??? All the time. C. Johnson is by far their best player on offense, maybe the team. R. Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh are showing promise of becoming elite and so is their offense at times, but their defense is what needs some help. Well help they got with their first two picks of the draft. D. Pollack and O. Thurman will be a huge addition for this D this season. If it wasn’t for such a tough schedule I would say they would make it to the playoffs. Next year Marv.
My Prediction: 7-9 wins (Steelers, Ravens, Bears, Titans, Jaguars, Browns 2x)

19. Kansas City Chiefs - The AFC’s Vikings. Another team with a dominant offense and no defense the Chiefs are looking for a turn around year after last years horrible display. Adding big names to the defense such as P. Surtain, S. Knight, K. Bell and D. Johnson should only make this team more elite. I believe their defense will improve by a lot, but I think their offense might take a dive after having to drag the defense along with them. They need a whole new receiving core before P. Holmes and T. Green are out the door. They could have addressed that issue with their 3rd round draft pick instead of drafting a Punter.
My Prediction: 7-9 wins (Cowboys, Broncos, Bengals, Raiders, Dolphins, Texans, Giants)

20. Oakland Raiders - Randy Moss, Jerry Porter and Ronald Curry along with Lamont Jordan................this could be a good thing. We all know K .Collins can launch a ball and we all know that there’s no DB in the league that can jump with Moss. Dangerous???? Depends on the attitude this team gets in before the season. Still can be a bad thing, but if it’s good thing, it’s a really good thing. Drafting two CB’s with the first two pics wasn’t that bad of an idea. With P. Buchannan out the door and C. Woodson still being a cancer this could be good in the long run. Fabian Washington and S. Routt should make an impact this year for the Raiders.
My Prediction: 7-9 wins ( Chargers 2x, Redskins, Broncos, Bills, Chiefs, Titans)

21. Detroit Lions - The Lions select M. Williams as their first round draft pick, which isn’t a bad pick at all, but with C. Rogers and R. Williams already being two promising receivers shouldn’t they have gone for something other then a WR. Adding Garcia should put some pressure on Harrington who’s been struggling to get into groove. Adding Shaun Cody to their, already stacked, defense should only help this team out. They still have a few kinks to work out before they become a threat in the NFL.
My Prediction: 7-9 wins (Bears 2x, Browns, Panthers, Packers, Vikings, Bengals)

22. Houston Texans - The Texans are a team that has huge potential and are on the edge of becoming an impact team. Their young QB David Carr is only getting better along with WR Andre Johnson and RB Dominick Davis. They did address their needs in the draft by adding DT Travis Johnson who will be a starter come game day. In my honest opinion they got themselves a pretty descent 6th round pick with SS C.C. Brown who has shown nothing but improvement since day one with the ULL, he may not become a starter in the NFL at SS but he’ll be a perfect ST addition. Also adding P. Buchanon is a cushion incase A. Glenn starts showing his age.
My Prediction: 7-9 wins (49ers, Titans, Rams, Jaguars, Bengals, Colts 2x)

23. Miami Dolphins - Nick Saban is a football genius and he’s going to bring this team to win, just not this year. Their schedule has to be one of the hardest schedules this year. Bringing Ricky back may help this team or it may kill them, but with Ronnie Brown there, Ricky’s going to have to show something more than his skills. I’ll give this team another year or two before they take flight.
My Prediction: 6-10 wins (Bills, Panthers, Jets, Titans, Browns, Raiders)

24. St. Louis Rams - This team is due for a season to flop and I believe this will be the year. M. Martz is hanging on by a limb and I can picture him hitting the road after this season. M. Faulk has now retired from his starting position and I. Bruce is getting older. As for S. Jackson, he’ll have a standout year and show this team some promise and A. Barron will definitely be a huge factor for this team, but with Martz as head coach I don’t see this team reaching the playoffs again.
My Prediction: 6-10 wins (Cowboys, Cardinals 2x, Jaguars, 49ers, Seahawks)

25. New York Jets - The Jets are very good team, which they’ve shown us the last two year, but they are still struggling to win big games when it’s clutch time, minus the Chargers game last post season. There’s always a team that bust really bad after a playoff appearance and I thought the Jets were the perfect candidates. I also think C. Pennington needs to play up to his potential or they’ll never get to the SB. J. Miller will be a stand out CB in this league.
My Prediction: 6-10 wins (Ravens, Saints, Jaguars, Dolphins, Chiefs, Raiders)

26. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Another team with cap issues struggling to keep it together, the Buccaneers need all the help they can get from rookie RB C. Williams. Even with B. Griese and M. Clayton showing the good side of their offense, they still need some serious work done. Their defense is still respectable and have a chance of becoming the best again, but with their cap issues I doubt that will happen anytime soon.
My Prediction: 5-11 wins ( Saints, Bills, Lions, Dolphins, Jets)

27. Green Bay Packers - With B. Favre aging everyday along with his bad luck of family problems, it’s hard to see him bring this team back to the SB. The team itself has the talent to do so, but I think they might take a diving year which will help ole Brett decide on his retirement. A. Rodgers is something to look forward to along with Terrence Murphey and with rising stars Jevon Walker and Ahmad Carroll showing promise this team should be back in contention with a new face at QB.
My Prediction: 5-11 wins (Bears, Lions, Bucs, Browns, Bengals)

28. New York Giants - With Eli Manning only getting better this team should be in contention in no time, the reason why I believe they will fall flat on their face is because of their schedule. They play in a very tough division that is only getting better and they have one of the toughest schedules in the league. Adding Corey Webster and Justin Tuck to this already proven D is only going to make things better for the headaches the offense will be giving to the coaches. P. Burress is a very high prospect in the NFL but he’s only proved him self one season, if he wants the respect he deserves he needs to put up numbers like he did in 2002.
My Prediction: 5-11 wins(49ers, Redskins, Raiders, Rams, Cowboys)

29. San Fransisco 49ers - With the first pick of the 2005 draft the San Fransisco 49ers select Alex Smith..............are you serious???? I don’t know who hyped this kid up that much but I think he’s the next Ryan Leaf. Utah ran an offense that was executed well by all the players, not just him. Anyway, the 49ers will still struggle due to their dog mess of a 1st pick in the draft. Expect Frank Gore and David Baas to make an impact this year.
My Predicition: 4-12 wins (Bears, Titans, Bucs, Rams)

30. Cleveland Browns - As much as I think Crennel has what it takes to help this team out I just don’t think T. Dilfer has it in him anymore. C. Frye is something to look forward to along with B. Edwards, but they still have a lot of gaps to fill. Their offense is going to need to step it up this year if they want to win. I believe I’m speaking for all the Browns fans when i say this, THANK YOU K. Winslow for being such a soldier.
My Prediction: 4-12 wins (Ravens, Bears, Texans, Raiders)

31. Chicago Bears - The worst offense in the NFL has added some people to the roster that may help, but they still have to work on staying healthy. C. Benson is a nice pick, but T. Jones is still the better back, and M. Muhammad needs to hope Grossman can get him the ball. If Urlacher can’t stay healthy this year, then they need to start looking for another leader on that defense. The Bears are a team that beat themselves with nagging injuries and lack of confidence.
My Prediction: 2-14 wins (Packers, Bucs,)

32. Tennessee Titans - This team went from being feared to being laughed at. S. McNair is not only getting older, but he’s been injured over 30 x’s and that’s only recorded injuries. Pac Man Jones is an awesome pick but this team is hurting in every way possible, Cap for one. I hate to put this team last, but I don’t see them having a chance to do much this year. Maybe Volek and Bennett will hook up this year.
My Prediction: 2-14 wins ( Browns, Texans)

Playoffs:
NFC Wild Card:
27 Saints at Cardinals 24
13 Cowboys at Falcons 21

NFC Divisional:
17 Saints at Vikings 35
20 Falcons at Eagles 19

NFC Championship:
13 Falcons at Vikings 27

AFC Wild Card:
3 Jaguars at Patriots 28
23 Bills at Ravens 26 (OT)

AFC Divisional:
15 Ravens at Chargers 27
33 Patriots at Steelers 21

AFC Championship:
17 Patriots at Chargers 7

SUPER BOWL XXXX:
21 Patriots vs. Vikings 19
SB MVP - Corey Dillon

Last edited:

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10. Arizona Cardinals - The Cardinals may have found their calling adding K. Warner to the roster. We all know that Warner is dangerous with good receivers and with L. Fitzgerald and A. Boldin he shouldn’t have a problem showing his skills. J.J. Arrington and A. Rolle are two huge additions for this team, along with some free agents to fill in the much needed gaps. Let’s hope Arrington isn’t a bust. This team needs a RB, bad, and yes this team will lose it’s last 3 games.
My Prediction: 10-6 losses (Jaguars, Rams 2x, Colts, Cowboys, Eagles)

:biglaugh:

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Rankings are decent, but us lose to the Rams twice...:biglaugh: Also, Cards would beat Saint if Saints could make the palyoffs. But with Carolina and Atlanta, I find that highly unlikely.

Also, KC will be much better team than you think...

Colts should easily be in the top 5 to 6 teams...

Last edited:

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
One thing, why should we lose our last 3 games, after all, we are rated 6 higher starting out than Indy.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What, the Saints not winning the Super Bowl? Are you nuts?

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
You got the Eagles losing to the Cards, and the Cards losing to the Eagles...that said, I like it!

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
What, the Saints not winning the Super Bowl? Are you nuts?

I really would have suspected that "Bleeding Black and Gold" would have had the Saints in the top 5. I mean Aaron Brooks is the answer and this "is" the year.

But predicting that the Cards will lose twice to the Rams but beat the Eagles -- he's nucking futs!!

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cards are WAY too high. I do think it's possible to get this high on a power ranking list by mid-season, but the Cardinals need to earn it on the field.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pariah said:
The Cards are WAY too high. I do think it's possible to get this high on a power ranking list by mid-season, but the Cardinals need to earn it on the field.

Denny Green will be by to revoke your Cards Fan credentials. How dare you doubt the great Denny? He is the greatest coach since Lombardi and Halas.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZCB34 said:
Denny Green will be by to revoke your Cards Fan credentials. How dare you doubt the great Denny? He is the greatest coach since Lombardi and Halas.

Oye Cubbie - is this really your entire contribution to this board now? You were such a great poster here.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
40yearfan said:

Sorry I gotta agree their we are NOT the 10th best team in the league.
:thumbup:

Great read though. Good work and keep churning the POWER RANKINGS out.

We need a power ranking guy on this board

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
RugbyMuffin said:
Sorry I gotta agree their we are NOT the 10th best team in the league.

I really don't care where the Cardinal are ranked as long as they are ranked higher than St. Louis, Seattle, and San Francisco and win the West. A Division win -- the first since the mid 1970's -- would secure a home playoff game.

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
When was the last home playoff game? All I know its been a loooong time.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
vince56 said:
January, 2006.

I hope so. I want at least ONE stinking home playoff game at SDS. No, I don't want to wait for the new stadium. I want at least a little redemption for all the games I watched in that cement/metal bowl.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
BigRedFan said:
When was the last home playoff game? All I know its been a loooong time.

The last time the Cardinals won the NFC East, which was in 1975, it turns out they didn't even host the playoff game. The Cards won the NFC East in 1974 and 1975.

1974 NFC Divisional Playoff: lost 14 - 30 at Minnesota Vikings
1975 NFC Divisional Playoff: lost 23 - 35 at Los Angeles Rams

This was all before the wild card format. In the new NFL with 8 divisions and 8 division winners, all division winners host the playoff games -- whether they be wildcard games or the 2nd round "divisional" playoff games. The key to hosting a playoff game is winning your division.

I can tell you that on December 28, 1947, the Chicago Cardinals hosted the Philadelphia Eagles in the 1947 Championship Game. That may be the last playoff game at home for the Cardinals!!

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
I started watching as a kid in 1975. The early success spoiled me and subsequently frustrated me as a fan. Little did I know it would be 30 years with no home playoffs. I think in 84 we would have had a home playoff game if we beat the Skins in the last week.