MLB Draft 2017

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Does any one have any insight into the mlb draft from a Dbacks prospective? Based on what I've seen there are some talented prep arms around where the dbacks pick.

My thoughts:

With the amount of young pitchers they have making there way through the system(Clark, young, Banda, duplantier, etc.,)I could see the dbacks taking a prep guy that could take longer like Shane Baz, MacKenzie Gore (if available) or DL Hall would be solid picks.

I also like JB Baukaskas(sp) and Wright as college arms. The plus side with JB is he could potentially provide a high level relief option this year.

And to be honest none of the bats (college or high school) seem like good fits at seven in my opinion. Although I could see Austin Beck or Jordan Adell being high upside picks with a potential discount on their signing bonus for players later.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So with less than a month left before the draft it looks like ARZ should have some appealing options at #7 depending on teams in front of them taking some prep players causing some pretty good college guys to drop to them.

Adam Haseley - UVA OF/LHP - Will play OF in pros and what stands out about this guy is that in 3 years of college ball he has 104 BB's and 101 K's in 726 AB's. As impressive as that is see Pavin Smith below. He is hitting .399 this year with 14 HR's. He is also a pretty good CF so he is a complete player.

Pavin Smith - UVA 1B - Haseley's teammate and is no slouch either. Hitting .340 this year with 11 HR's and 65 RBI's, he has a ridiculous BB to K ratio of 34 to 8 in 206 AB's this year. Could be Goldy's heir at 1B and if ARZ falls out of contention or cannot afford Goldy long term, Smith could be the starting 1B as early as next year if necessary.

Alex Faedo - UF RHP - Big RHP Ace, who was once considered the #1 prospect in the draft but with the emergence of some HS kids and guys like Kyle Wright and Brendan McKay having phenomenal years, Faedo is no longer a lock to go #1 overall and recent mocks have him falling out of Top 10 but that only helps ARZ if they are looking for a potential Ace to replace Greinke.

These would be the guys I would be targeting if I was Hazen because they could potentially make an immediate impact but who knows what the draft plan is.

OP
OP
outcent13

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hasely would probably be the safest pick from a tools and highest floor perspective. He would also presumably be ready by the time Pollock hits free agency which would be good.

Faedo is very intriguing...another big upside guy with a pretty safe floor as a 3/4 starter.

I'm starting to warm on Kendall as well...I know he has the "swing and miss" issues but I recently read that in 175 college games (about an mlb season) he's averaged .306 has 30+ goners and 60+ steals all while playing a top notch center field. I think if he projected to a . 275 guy with 20-25 HRs and 40 steals with the above average D I'd be happy.

I suppose my preference at this point barring Beck, Gore and Wright are gone would be to take Hasely or Kendall at an under slot deal and try to go over slot in the comp round and round two for some high upside prep arms.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hasely would probably be the safest pick from a tools and highest floor perspective. He would also presumably be ready by the time Pollock hits free agency which would be good.

Faedo is very intriguing...another big upside guy with a pretty safe floor as a 3/4 starter.

I'm starting to warm on Kendall as well...I know he has the "swing and miss" issues but I recently read that in 175 college games (about an mlb season) he's averaged .306 has 30+ goners and 60+ steals all while playing a top notch center field. I think if he projected to a . 275 guy with 20-25 HRs and 40 steals with the above average D I'd be happy.

I suppose my preference at this point barring Beck, Gore and Wright are gone would be to take Hasely or Kendall at an under slot deal and try to go over slot in the comp round and round two for some high upside prep arms.
It will be interesting to see how the first 6 picks shape out. Haseley, Pavin Smith and Faedo could all be gone. Maybe Kyle Wright drops????

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Still crazy to me how they have a draft mid season. Always thought it was funny.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They are saying McKay is capable of being a successful two way player, definitely gives him a better chance of not being a bust as if he fails as a SP he has his hitting ability to fall back on. June 12th can't get here soon enough, gotta rebuild the farm.
:cheers:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So are we just going to cut out the middleman and have Atlanta pick our first rounder ?

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
I've seen Haseley picked in a lot of mock drafts for us. Makes sense if they feel they won't be able to retain Pollock. We'll see how it plays out. Need to reload all areas of the farm system so BPA should be modus operandi.

It will also be interesting to see the first draft under this new regime, particularly if they lean heavily high school vs college players.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I've seen Haseley picked in a lot of mock drafts for us. Makes sense if they feel they won't be able to retain Pollock. We'll see how it plays out. Need to reload all areas of the farm system so BPA should be modus operandi.

It will also be interesting to see the first draft under this new regime, particularly if they lean heavily high school vs college players.

I think we need to go heavy on productive college players, both pitchers and bats. Guys who can move through the system quickly because we need to fill potential needs at the #5 SP position should we move on from Corbin, the Pollock situation is still questionable as his name continues to surface in possible trade rumors and maybe find a long term closer to replace Rodney next year unless Bradley is the solution. Not sure if we changed up our scouting department since Hazen came on board but we really need some hits this year. I think if ARZ can land one of Haseley, Smith or Faedo then they would become our #1 prospect upon signing.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's a Ginger!

You must be registered for see images attach

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson