Looking ahead to Oregon

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh, and Burfict may be the most over-rated player in Devil history.

I don't even think it's close. His weaknesses almost equal his strengths. I can't believe there are still people that think he'll be Ray Lewis's equal in the pros. He's just not a smart football player. Plus, he's a huge liability when he drops into coverage. He'll have a decent NFL career but he'll pretty much be a one trick pony.

Steve

OP
OP
AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
AFAIC, that personal foul followed by the interception ended the game for us. From that moment on there was no doubt in my mind that we were going to lose that game. And it was such an unbelievably stupid penalty.

Steve
Are you referring to the Robinson 'personal foul'? That wasn't a personal foul by any means, he literally stood up and stared down at the defender, and the defender hit his head on to Robinson's knee as he was getting up. That penalty should've never been called. I don't usually like to place the blame on refs, but they called a horrible game in my opinion, and definitely changed the game in Oregon's favor several times. Especially on the obvious fumble late in the game that they waived off after several reviews clearly showed we recovered it in bounds, no excuse for that pathetic display of 'officiating'.

Regardless of the officiating, the defensive play calling was atrocious. Against a running team, with a Freshman QB, Bray decides to play soft zone with the CB's off by 10 yards, and the safeties back 15 yards. Basically inviting them to run the ball all over us, which they did with ease. A good defensive coordinator plays man, forces the LB's on to the line of scrimmage and bring the safeties up for run support. When you force Oregon to throw, they don't win, it's as simple as that. Bray is past his time, and has no idea what he's doing.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oregon definitely got some home cookin! The refs could have called pi on Oregon all night yet not one flag unbelievable!

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
asuprodigy, if you're going to say such nasty things about the coordinator and scream for a blitz-till-your-nose-bleeds defense, I think you're obligated to explain who the hell on this team you think can cover Oregon WRs in bump coverage. Other than Alden Darby, there's not a guy on this team that has the strength, flexible hips, or closing speed to play that style.

Or didn't you realize that Bray has been hiding ASU's weak secondary all season?

OP
OP
AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
asuprodigy, if you're going to say such nasty things about the coordinator and scream for a blitz-till-your-nose-bleeds defense, I think you're obligated to explain who the hell on this team you think can cover Oregon WRs in bump coverage. Other than Alden Darby, there's not a guy on this team that has the strength, flexible hips, or closing speed to play that style.

Or didn't you realize that Bray has been hiding ASU's weak secondary all season?
The fact of the matter is, especially when Thomas went out of the game, it was extremely obvious Oregon was going to strictly run the ball, I don't know how you can deny that. The defense made no adjustments whatsoever, the CB's were still 10 yards off the LOS, and the safeties were 15 yards away, as if they're playing the deep ball. Regardless of the CB's covering skills, when a Freshman QB enters the game, you should immediately take away their best asset, the run game.

By putting 8-9 guys in the box, and playing the WR's man to man, you are limiting Oregon's run game. I'd much rather have a freshman try to beat me through the air than just running it over and over for 20 yards a piece, it doesn't make any sense. It's inexcusible to let them run for over 250+ yards and never make a single adjustment to stop the run game. Also, I'm not sure if you noticed, but Oregon only threw the ball a handful of times in the 2nd half, so common sense would tell you the CB's should be on the line for run support. Bray really put this defense in a losing situation by calling such a horrible vanilla defense, there's no way you can deny that.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Would LOVE to see ASU grab a victory on a big stage like this. However, my gut tells that the Devils won't be able to run the ball well enough. That their run defense will have problems in the 2nd half and the Ducks will pull away in the end to a 45 - 24 victory... hope I'm wrong though.

Guess I wasn't wrong... dammit! :bang:

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don't pat your self on the back there too much 82 if not for atrocious officiating this game was totally winnable. We lost by 2 Tds in Oregon and got zero calls and Oregon got the benefit of what seemed to be a dozen 15 yarders when they coincidentally needed them! What a joke the PAC 12 Officials are as bad as ever!

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Don't pat your self on the back there too much 82 if not for atrocious officiating this game was totally winnable. We lost by 2 Tds in Oregon and got zero calls and Oregon got the benefit of what seemed to be a dozen 15 yarders when they coincidentally needed them! What a joke the PAC 12 Officials are as bad as ever!

Oh yea.. forgot to mention that the Devils would continue to get screwed by the refs... that was implied in my original post. ;)

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fact of the matter is, especially when Thomas went out of the game, it was extremely obvious Oregon was going to strictly run the ball, I don't know how you can deny that. The defense made no adjustments whatsoever, the CB's were still 10 yards off the LOS, and the safeties were 15 yards away, as if they're playing the deep ball. Regardless of the CB's covering skills, when a Freshman QB enters the game, you should immediately take away their best asset, the run game.

By putting 8-9 guys in the box, and playing the WR's man to man, you are limiting Oregon's run game. I'd much rather have a freshman try to beat me through the air than just running it over and over for 20 yards a piece, it doesn't make any sense. It's inexcusible to let them run for over 250+ yards and never make a single adjustment to stop the run game. Also, I'm not sure if you noticed, but Oregon only threw the ball a handful of times in the 2nd half, so common sense would tell you the CB's should be on the line for run support. Bray really put this defense in a losing situation by calling such a horrible vanilla defense, there's no way you can deny that.

I don't know that it was extremely obvious that Oregon was going to run the ball, since Bennett is more of a passer than a runner. That he was able to engineer the option game was more of a testament to just how undisciplined ASU's defense can be.

I think criticism that ASU didn't blitz enough is fair, but what you're asking for is a scheme ASU simply does not have the personnel to pull off. They don't have a true 1-gap tackle, and they don't have cornerbacks who can bump-and-run. Your scheme is offering them up to get gashed on the run and ignite the passing game.

The scheme worked fairly well in the first half, which I think deserves mentioning, since you seem to think Bray is an idiot 100 percent of the time.

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let's not forget the dropped TD pass by ASU to close the game. Final score had he caught it would have been a 7 Point loss.

Now, my least favorite play of the night. Moos got called for a bogus personal foul on third down when Thomas won an Academy Award by pretending to get hit by Moos on in the end zone. First down Ducks. They went down and scored a touchdown. Should have been punting back to ASU near the endzone. That was another 7 point swing, at least, right there.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Let's not forget the dropped TD pass by ASU to close the game. Final score had he caught it would have been a 7 Point loss.

Now, my least favorite play of the night. Moos got called for a bogus personal foul on third down when Thomas won an Academy Award by pretending to get hit by Moos on in the end zone. First down Ducks. They went down and scored a touchdown. Should have been punting back to ASU near the endzone. That was another 7 point swing, at least, right there.

Give ASU that play and the fumble save and the Devils win.

That being said the Devils have a rep and they are always going to be on the bad side of a few calls a game.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I still can't believe they called a personal foul on Moos in the end zone when he had his hands up trying to knock down the pass. This was beyond a terrible call. Where is he supposed to put his hands. He certainly did not grab the face mask or slap the player in the helmet. I guess he was supposed to give the Oregon QB a clear view of the field. Also that quick whistle on the fumble going out of bounds was horrendous. Oregon is a good team. They should not need help from the officials.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort