Liverpool FC

Discussion in 'World Sports' started by dreamcastrocks, Jan 9, 2015.

1. dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks Chopped Liver Moderator Contributor

I wouldn't be surprised, although it would be the first time Rafa has beaten Liverpool.

United dropping a 2nd half turd against City last night sucks. Now I have to pray that Burnley or Brighton beat City? Ugh.

lorenzotexan likes this.
  2. Stout

Stout I gave my cards a victory...

Hey, Newcastle beat 'em, so it's possible.

Yeah, Newcastle has a shot against Liverpool. They're great defensively, managed a draw last season, and only diving, cheating Salah screwed 'em in the first fixture this season ;)

lorenzotexan likes this.
  3. lorenzotexan

lorenzotexan Registered User

If brighton are anything like they were at spurs then they will lay down for city. unlike spurs city will score goals. but hey you never know. this is the PL and it's always interesting to see these clubs at the opposite end of the table fighting for different reasons, but should be fighting nonetheless.

4. Stout

So they weren't good v Spurs? I know Newcastle lost to them in a very similar manner, but Newcastle played solid defense for 80+ minutes and lost to a soft Son shot.

5. lorenzotexan

They were much worse than Newcastle in comparison. Spurs could have scored 5 goals on them the way brighton played in that game. Spurs just don’t have the goal scoring capability at the moment.

6. dreamcastrocks

Liverpool played Barca even until the 2nd goal and then the wheels came off. Winning 3-0 at Anfield against Barca is possible, just highly unlikely. It looks like it is going to be another almost year.

7. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

Word is someone said something to Messi that got him mad. Lol

8. dreamcastrocks

Doubt it. Although if anyone did, it was Henderson.

Messi doesn't really need any extra motivation.

9. Stout

Can't wait for VAR. No doubt in my mind Newcastle would have won playing over an entire half with an extra player, given both teams' performances yesterda. Shocking that the Liverpudlian player wasn't sent off for a clear, obvious, and deliberate handball. Well, not shocking at all, as it happened to Newcastle earlier this season against Man U. And there's the trend. Liverpool, Man U? Top 6 club. Newcastle? Outside the top 6. This is Premier League officiating, after all.

Thought the ref was shambolic all around, too (both ways), including the yellow card simulation dive that was somehow a foul that led to the free kick winner.

Eh, what can you do? Newcastle stood toe to toe with a highly superior opponent talent-wise and earned a draw, and more than a draw. As it happens, it was a noble loss. And I'm betting a futile win for Liverpool as Man City will win out.

10. dreamcastrocks

I do agree that VAR probably would have sent that off. However, the referee was in his right to not give a red card since the goal still occurred. It wasn't preventing a goal scoring opportunity, since the goal occurred. Seems like semantics, but apparently that how the law is written.

Fabinho was fouled before the dive. I think that the foul was called for that.

Newcastle was the better team for much of the game though. I'm shocked that they were in a relegation battle for as long as they were. It will be interesting to see if they can keep Rafa or not.

11. Chaplin

Shocked, I tell you. Shocked!

12. Stout

Yeah, they elucidated that later. It's a truly shocking rule that makes it far more advantageous NOT to score a goal. Who wouldn't take a penalty and a sending off (by the opponent) over just a goal?

It's possible with Fabinho. Don't recall seeing advantage being played, but it's possible.

One problem with the relegation battle was that Newcastle had, like, all of the top 6 to start the season. And they played them tough as hell, but kept losing close ones. Kenedy turned out to be pure garbage, and should have won the early Cardiff game. Another problem is that the roster is grossly undertalented. They need a new RB (sorry Yedlin), another LB, CM help, wingers, and, oh yeah, two Premiere League quality strikers, because Jabba the Ashley only loaned Rondon. They need all of this on top of squad depth.

Considering that Rafa was given nothing for a budget, and a low-quality PL squad, he worked absolute wonders. The one thing you can never say is that his teams won't step up for him.

Ha :) I wasn't shocked at all. After that shambolic summer window, and brutal early schedule, I knew it was going to be a dogfight to survive.

13. Chaplin

The best team in the world held a 3-0 aggregate lead going into this leg. You not shocked at all is classic hindsight is 20/20.

14. Stout

Actually, I wasn't shocked about Barca; they coughed it up to Roma last year :D jk

Yeah, you can go back and read the Newcastle thread in this forum where I talked all about it before the season. You like to SAY I claim things after the fact a lot, when you don't know a dang thing about it. I'm a fan of hyperbole, not lying.

15. lorenzotexan

congrats dreamcastrocks. ugly final, but Liverpool deserve that trophy. great season for them all around.