Liverpool FC

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
They've spent twice as much as they've made so far this window (though they let plenty of prior first teamers leave on frees), and nearly got Caciedo. Wouldn't say they've been a disaster this window.
Losing out on both Caciedo and Lavia was an impressive bit of self sabotage. Yes- Szobo and Mac are good additions, but it's a job half done. Does Liverpool ownership want to put together a nice squad or compete for Champions league? Arsenal/City/United/Chelsea keep adding - how will Liverpool catch up? M

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Losing out on both Caciedo and Lavia was an impressive bit of self sabotage. Yes- Szobo and Mac are good additions, but it's a job half done. Does Liverpool ownership want to put together a nice squad or compete for Champions league? Arsenal/City/United/Chelsea keep adding - how will Liverpool catch up? M
Szobozlai is an outright steal. Liverpool has always been successful at using their scouting dept to find hidden gems. Overspending on Caicedo/Lavia doesn't fit their model. They also aren't going to just spend 100M on midfielders because they have the money to do so. The player has to fit Klopp's vision of the team.

I still think this squad will absolutely compete for Champions League on two fronts with the Europa League.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Nice win in Europa, resting many stars. Mo is unstoppable right now...came on late and just completely dominated. Another strong performance from Nunez as well.

I enjoy this team much better than last year. Much better energy and vibes.

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice win in Europa, resting many stars. Mo is unstoppable right now...came on late and just completely dominated. Another strong performance from Nunez as well.

I enjoy this team much better than last year. Much better energy and vibes.
I wanted to give him man of the match before he scored.

I'm so disappointed in MacAllister. I expected sooo much more. Szobozlai is super smooth as well.

I not sure which is worse/better... going down nearly every single game, or finding a way to win each time going behind...

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I wanted to give him man of the match before he scored.

I'm so disappointed in MacAllister. I expected sooo much more. Szobozlai is super smooth as well.

I not sure which is worse/better... going down nearly every single game, or finding a way to win each time going behind...
Aren't they playing MacAllister out of position?

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aren't they playing MacAllister out of position?
They are. They seem to be mostly playing him in the 6. I don't really understand why, he is struggling there to even connect passes. Szoboslai has been playing in the role that MacAllister wants to play.

I thought once they signed Endo to be the 6, that would free up MacAllister to move further up the pitch. Endo when he plays he has been good, but he hasn't solidified the spot. No one has really.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
They are. They seem to be mostly playing him in the 6. I don't really understand why, he is struggling there to even connect passes. Szoboslai has been playing in the role that MacAllister wants to play.

I thought once they signed Endo to be the 6, that would free up MacAllister to move further up the pitch. Endo when he plays he has been good, but he hasn't solidified the spot. No one has really.
This. He's not made for that role, and Endo isn't good enough cover. I'd even rather see Bajetic in that role.

Szobo has been a revelation - he seems to have "it", whatever that is. Much better athlete than I gave him credit for, he's added so much maturity to the midfield. Love the signing.

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am in awe of what Liverpool have been able to do so far this year. ANOTHER controversial red card goes against Curtis Jones when he went on top of the ball and that made his studs shows. The VAR put a still shot of the contact on the monitor at the ref went to look at it. This type of thing to do puts a preconceived notion in the refs mind. It really is bad. I won't talk about Jota getting sent off much. I didn't think the first one was a yellow, and most neutrals agree. Being on a yellow though, you can't make that challenge.

That's nothing though compared to the disallowed offside goal. Diaz was a half of a YARD onside at he wasn't awarded the goal. You don't even need lines. You can see it clear as day.

You must be registered for see images attach

It was so bad that this was PGMOL's response:

WhyVAR said:
"PGMOL acknowledge a significant human error during the first half of Tottenham Hotspur v Liverpool.

"The goal by Luis Diaz was disallowed for offside by the on-field team of match officials. This was a clear and obvious factual error and should have resulted in the goal being awarded through VAR intervention, however, the VAR failed to intervene.

"PGMOL will conduct a full review into the circumstances which led to the error.

"PGMOL will be immediately contacting Liverpool at the conclusion of the fixture to acknowledge the error."
I have never seen a response like that.

I know Stout likes to say Liverpool get all of the calls. This year, 90% of them have gone against us.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I am in awe of what Liverpool have been able to do so far this year. ANOTHER controversial red card goes against Curtis Jones when he went on top of the ball and that made his studs shows. The VAR put a still shot of the contact on the monitor at the ref went to look at it. This type of thing to do puts a preconceived notion in the refs mind. It really is bad. I won't talk about Jota getting sent off much. I didn't think the first one was a yellow, and most neutrals agree. Being on a yellow though, you can't make that challenge.

That's nothing though compared to the disallowed offside goal. Diaz was a half of a YARD onside at he wasn't awarded the goal. You don't even need lines. You can see it clear as day.

You must be registered for see images attach

It was so bad that this was PGMOL's response:

I have never seen a response like that.

I know Stout likes to say Liverpool get all of the calls. This year, 90% of them have gone against us.
every team has calls go against them. IMO that was a red card that was missed on the field, regardless of how the VAR was presented to the ref. yes the player was going for the ball, but I thought he was late (bissouma was first to the ball) and the Liverpool player missed the ball and could have broken Bissouma's leg. both of the other yellow cards were both legit yellow cards, both of them were dumb challenges from behind by the Liverpool player. one being more weak than the other.

last year a Liverpool player cleated spurs player Oliver skipp in the head and a red card wasn't given when it should have been. so no the calls don't always go the way they are supposed to even with VAR in place. Last week Arsenal's keeper was given a yellow for what I thought was an obvious red on a spurs player, and that call was never reviewed.

the offsides was a blown call if there ever was one. and IMO this brings a bigger problem into the picture that EPL cannot get offside calls right even with VAR, which is why I never wanted to see VAR in EPL to begin with. If there is a rule that VAR should be able to get right, it is offside. and they can't do it.

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just an utterly shambolic game on Saturday.

"And if that’s really the sequence of events why on earth isn’t Darren England in Hooper’s ear straight after the game has restarted with a free kick saying ‘what are you doing??? It’s a goal!"
SMH. There's even some conspiracy theories going about how these refs are going to UAE/Saudi and other regions to get paid super bucks mid week, then come back to England for the weekend.

While I'm not the conspiracy theory type, the fact that refs can play in a league, and the league owns a Premier League team, at worst it seems to be a conflict of interest.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
SMH. There's even some conspiracy theories going about how these refs are going to UAE/Saudi and other regions to get paid super bucks mid week, then come back here midweek.

While I'm not the conspiracy theory type, the fact that refs can play in a league, and the league owns a Premier League team, at worst it seems to be a conflict of interest.
Indeed.

There is no justification or explanation for what happened on Saturday. The goal was clearly onside - no lines needed to be drawn. WHY DIDN'T THE VAR COMMUNICATE TO THE REF IMMEDIATELY?!?

That said - the "mentality monsters" are baaaccckkk!!! The fighting spirit and belief are totally different this year than last.

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That said - the "mentality monsters" are baaaccckkk!!! The fighting spirit and belief are totally different this year than last.
Yep. I'm pretty confident we are back in the top 4. I think we will end up 2nd or 3rd.

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Indeed.

There is no justification or explanation for what happened on Saturday. The goal was clearly onside - no lines needed to be drawn. WHY DIDN'T THE VAR COMMUNICATE TO THE REF IMMEDIATELY?!?
Apparently, Liverpool are asking for the audio from the VAR officials to be released so we can find out what happened. Not holding my breath.

Stout

Reaction score
I've read so many articles today with the theme: Horrible VAR decisions happen all the time but OH MY GOD LIVERPOOL FINALLY GOT SCREWED? STOP THE PRESSES THIS IS THE WORST THING THE WORLD IS GOING TO END. Sorry not sorry to have zero sympathy. Liverpool were on the end of one bad decision once and finally feel what it feels like? Welcome to the rest of the league (outside the other big teams, of course). I know it's not your fault that the toxic 6 are media darlings, but it makes everyone else wanna puke.

You got screwed. It happens. It shouldn't, but it does. Realize your team is on the good end of 100 questionable decisions to this 1 and be thankful.

Stout

Reaction score
OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've read so many articles today with the theme: Horrible VAR decisions happen all the time but OH MY GOD LIVERPOOL FINALLY GOT SCREWED? STOP THE PRESSES THIS IS THE WORST THING THE WORLD IS GOING TO END. Sorry not sorry to have zero sympathy. Liverpool were on the end of one bad decision once and finally feel what it feels like? Welcome to the rest of the league (outside the other big teams, of course). I know it's not your fault that the toxic 6 are media darlings, but it makes everyone else wanna puke.
I don't want or expect your sympathy. You are seemingly holding some sort of grudge.
You got screwed. It happens. It shouldn't, but it does. Realize your team is on the good end of 100 questionable decisions to this 1 and be thankful.
You clearly don't watch a lot of Liverpool, especially this season. If you did, you wouldn't think that at all. Your own Alan Shearer called it the worst ref job he has ever seen.

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
I don't want or expect your sympathy. You are seemingly holding some sort of grudge.

You clearly don't watch a lot of Liverpool, especially this season. If you did, you wouldn't think that at all. Your own Alan Shearer called it the worst ref job he has ever seen.
Yeah, was salty yesterday because I was having a bad day. I definitely went overboard on how I said it. That said, it isn't a grudge; that puts it on me. Liverpool is the single most favored team in the league, is all, not just from a Newcastle standpoint. Yes, it was an awful, awful decision. Yet why doesn't the media and footballing world go ballistic and histrionic when Liverpool are on the other side of these calls?

Liverpool has benefited from countless awful decisions, and I'm not just talking about against my team. I read about it or see it nearly every week, it seems. It would be like the Dallas Cowboys finally getting screwed by the refs. Sorry, DCR. The team you follow are media darlings and things always seem to go their way--until the weekend.

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, was salty yesterday because I was having a bad day. I definitely went overboard on how I said it. That said, it isn't a grudge; that puts it on me. Liverpool is the single most favored team in the league, is all, not just from a Newcastle standpoint. Yes, it was an awful, awful decision. Yet why doesn't the media and footballing world go ballistic and histrionic when Liverpool are on the other side of these calls?
Because none of them have been this egregious. Nearly everyone in the football world is upset, because of how bad they screwed up.

Every team has calls not go their way. Refs are human and make mistakes. VAR was put in to prevent this type of mistake, and yet it still happened. If it were 'just another missed call,' the football world wouldn't be as upset as they are this time.

Stout

Reaction score
Because none of them have been this egregious. Nearly everyone in the football world is upset, because of how bad they screwed up.

Every team has calls not go their way. Refs are human and make mistakes. VAR was put in to prevent this type of mistake, and yet it still happened. If it were 'just another missed call,' the football world wouldn't be as upset as they are this time.
If this had happened to Crystal Palace, we absolutely would not see worldwide outrage like this. C'mon man.

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this had happened to Crystal Palace, we absolutely would not see worldwide outrage like this. C'mon man.
While there is probably some validity to that, I think there would be. Only because of how bad this error was.

The outrage likely wouldn't be as intense if Liverpool won the game, or if Liverpool lost by 5 goals too.

With that said, it was easily the biggest blight of VAR in the Premier League, and it isn't close.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson