Liverpool FC

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Liverpool has benefited from countless awful decisions, and I'm not just talking about against my team.
Have they? That would be news to me. I've watched the majority of the games over the last 10 years, and that's a curious position.
I read about it or see it nearly every week, it seems. It would be like the Dallas Cowboys finally getting screwed by the refs. Sorry, DCR. The team you follow are media darlings and things always seem to go their way--until the weekend.
This is genuinely amusing - Liverpool as the Cowboys. Liverpool media darlings? Yep - who cares about the teams from Manchester and London...it's the reds we'll push!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Have they? That would be news to me. I've watched the majority of the games over the last 10 years, and that's a curious position.

This is genuinely amusing - Liverpool as the Cowboys. Liverpool media darlings? Yep - who cares about the teams from Manchester and London...it's the reds we'll push!
Either you're a Liverpool fan or don't pay much attention. Ask any non-toxic 6 team in the league and they'll have a story about how Liverpool got the call over them. Hell, Newcastle had a player down in the box HOLDING THEIR HEAD once and Liverpool played on and scored. When it was mandatory to stop the game for head injuries. But, yeah, it's a "curious position" that Liverpool get the calls.

Yes, the media push the mancunians as well. As for Londoners? If you aren't in the big 6, the media doesn't give a fig for you. If you think that's curious, you don't pay any attention.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Either you're a Liverpool fan or don't pay much attention. Ask any non-toxic 6 team in the league and they'll have a story about how Liverpool got the call over them. Hell, Newcastle had a player down in the box HOLDING THEIR HEAD once and Liverpool played on and scored. When it was mandatory to stop the game for head injuries. But, yeah, it's a "curious position" that Liverpool get the calls.

Yes, the media push the mancunians as well. As for Londoners? If you aren't in the big 6, the media doesn't give a fig for you. If you think that's curious, you don't pay any attention.
Ha, ok Stout. Liverpool gets all the calls, and anyone outside of the big 6 is a persecuted little lamb.

Your position is clear at this point - hopefully we can focus on football more than historical grudges here!

Stout

Reaction score
Ha, ok Stout. Liverpool gets all the calls, and anyone outside of the big 6 is a persecuted little lamb.

Your position is clear at this point - hopefully we can focus on football more than historical grudges here!
Who do you support, @ASUCHRIS? I'm curious. And, given the attempt by the toxic 6 to run off and create a super league, yes, you're more right with your sarcasm than you let on. And I type this all knowing full well that Newcastle will eventually become one of them. In the meantime, I sit on the other side of that British media fence and actually notice what goes on.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Who do you support, @ASUCHRIS? I'm curious.
Uh, it should be fairly obvious...it's Liverpool!
And, given the attempt by the toxic 6 to run off and create a super league, yes, you're more right with your sarcasm than you let on.
Yeah, was against that, but go on.
And I type this all knowing full well that Newcastle will eventually become one of them.
Yeah, casting judgement on other teams whilst supporting a team with your ownership...pretty entertaining stuff. You keep talking like your team is a minnow, but we all know that isn't true.

The persecution complex is strong still though!
In the meantime, I sit on the other side of that British media fence and actually notice what goes on.
Cool - maybe someday you can educate the rest of us with your enhanced perspective!:raccoon:

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who do you support, @ASUCHRIS? I'm curious. And, given the attempt by the toxic 6 to run off and create a super league, yes, you're more right with your sarcasm than
What does this have to do with officiating?

Lorenzo

Reaction score

It's nice to have some PL discussion.

Dallas Cowboys are an interesting comp. I think spurs remind me more of the cowboys from a modern day results standpoint. Hell spurs have won a trophy more recently than the cowboys have...sad! Spurs have also at least made it to a final.

but from popularity standpoint in England..I think Liverpool are a fair comp. I watched a Liverpool spurs match at a Norwich pub in 2019 and I was outnumbered 10-1 by Liverpool fans. once they heard my accent they all were asking me why the hell I picked spurs if I could pick any team to follow...but they were super nice. Even locals that I met in East Anglia were Liverpool fans. The guy who installed my cable was a Liverpool fan and said he was not from there, that was just the team his dad followed. I also watched a days worth of PL matches at a pub in Newcastle and there were a bunch of L'Pool fans there. That was when Newcastle were in the championship league playing Rotherham.

I am not here to say that Liverpool get all the calls to go their way all of the time, or that there's some conspiracy. I think in general refs make errors and VAR is not as good as everyone thought it would be. I am also a fan of a top 6 team and spurs have been screwed on offside calls and handball penalties. last year's game Liverpool vs. spurs I thought there was an obvious red card not given when Oliver skipp got kicked in the head by Jota and of corse Jota goes on to score the game winner. After the game Klopp didn't seem to be bothered either and verbally attacked spurs for being a 'counter attacking team.' here are some articles that I went back to in order to refresh my memory on that boot to the head.

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
Uh, it should be fairly obvious...it's Liverpool!

Yeah, was against that, but go on.

Yeah, casting judgement on other teams whilst supporting a team with your ownership...pretty entertaining stuff. You keep talking like your team is a minnow, but we all know that isn't true.

The persecution complex is strong still though!

Cool - maybe someday you can educate the rest of us with your enhanced perspective!:raccoon:
Pretty much the dismissive, derisive attitude I'd expect out of a fan of this team who thinks Liverpudlian crap don't stink.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Pretty much the dismissive, derisive attitude I'd expect out of a fan of this team who thinks Liverpudlian crap don't stink.
Ok pal! I'll avoid discussing the prem with you, as you obviously hold some serious anger toward Liverpool.

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's nice to have some PL discussion.

Dallas Cowboys are an interesting comp. I think spurs remind me more of the cowboys from a modern day results standpoint. Hell spurs have won a trophy more recently than the cowboys have...sad! Spurs have also at least made it to a final.
Yep.
but from popularity standpoint in England..I think Liverpool are a fair comp. I watched a Liverpool spurs match at a Norwich pub in 2019 and I was outnumbered 10-1 by Liverpool fans. once they heard my accent they all were asking me why the hell I picked spurs if I could pick any team to follow...but they were super nice. Even locals that I met in East Anglia were Liverpool fans. The guy who installed my cable was a Liverpool fan and said he was not from there, that was just the team his dad followed. I also watched a days worth of PL matches at a pub in Newcastle and there were a bunch of L'Pool fans there. That was when Newcastle were in the championship league playing Rotherham.
Popularity doesn't equate to getting better calls from the ref.

I am not here to say that Liverpool get all the calls to go their way all of the time, or that there's some conspiracy. I think in general refs make errors and VAR is not as good as everyone thought it would be. I am also a fan of a top 6 team and spurs have been screwed on offside calls and handball penalties. last year's game Liverpool vs. spurs I thought there was an obvious red card not given when Oliver skipp got kicked in the head by Jota and of corse Jota goes on to score the game winner. After the game Klopp didn't seem to be bothered either and verbally attacked spurs for being a 'counter attacking team.' here are some articles that I went back to in order to refresh my memory on that boot to the head.

I remember that play as well. He should have been sent off. No one here that supports Liverpool argued that he shouldn't.

The crux of the argument has come from Stout saying that Liverpool finally had a poor call go their way. The offsides forced VAR to show the public their inner workings. No other call in the VAR era has done that. Must be a pretty big error... Yet, it wasn't even the only controversial call of the game.

Jota's red card started with him going into the tackle with studs down. He rolled over the ball and that action showed the studs. VAR then reviewed the play and the ref had a still shot of the impact, which introduced bias. We don't normally get to see that still shot, as the cameras are on the other side of the field. Most pundits were split on whether it was a red card or not, so pretty much the epitome of a controversial call. He also didn't look at the angle from behind which showed the nature of the tackle.

You can also go back to the MacAllister red card that was rescinded after the ref made a mistake in that game too. To claim that this is the only call that has gone against Liverpool just reeks of bias that isn't really defensible.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
It's just hilarious that anyone paints Liverpool as this ultra popular juggernaut - over the last 30 years there were tons of Arsenal fans, many United fans, and a good percentage of Chelsea fans. In terms of American Liverpool fans, we were a rare bird indeed.

According to an August 2022 survey, the most popular Premier League club among fans of league was Liverpool, closely followed by Manchester United and Manchester City.

This was shocking to me. Maybe the FSG partnership helped?

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's just hilarious that anyone paints Liverpool as this ultra popular juggernaut - over the last 30 years there were tons of Arsenal fans, many United fans, and a good percentage of Chelsea fans. In terms of American Liverpool fans, we were a rare bird indeed.

According to an August 2022 survey, the most popular Premier League club among fans of league was Liverpool, closely followed by Manchester United and Manchester City.

This is all Klopp. The team was stuck in purgatory before he came.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Yep.

Popularity doesn't equate to getting better calls from the ref.

I remember that play as well. He should have been sent off. No one here that supports Liverpool argued that he shouldn't.

The crux of the argument has come from Stout saying that Liverpool finally had a poor call go their way. The offsides forced VAR to show the public their inner workings. No other call in the VAR era has done that. Must be a pretty big error... Yet, it wasn't even the only controversial call of the game.

Jota's red card started with him going into the tackle with studs down. He rolled over the ball and that action showed the studs. VAR then reviewed the play and the ref had a still shot of the impact, which introduced bias. We don't normally get to see that still shot, as the cameras are on the other side of the field. Most pundits were split on whether it was a red card or not, so pretty much the epitome of a controversial call. He also didn't look at the angle from behind which showed the nature of the tackle.

You can also go back to the MacAllister red card that was rescinded after the ref made a mistake in that game too. To claim that this is the only call that has gone against Liverpool just reeks of bias that isn't really defensible.
Yes I agree with most of this. I did not view the challenge on Bissouma as a red at first glance. I only thought it could be a red card after VAR slowed it down. intent or accidental contact for me wasn't the reason not to give a red, the reason to give a red was the result of the challenge that could have broken a leg. and I believe the appeal was upheld as a red card.

My point is that Liverpool are very popular in GB. I don't mean to give the impression that I think refs give them favoritism. clearly they do not based on Saturday's match. the argument for me and where I agree with stout, is that a controversial call in a top 6 match is going to generate more buzz from pundits and fans especially across the pond. I think that is a fair statement. I brought up Jota's no red card from last year to point out that refs don't always get the red card decisions correctly and VAR intervention doesn't work like it should.

Lorenzo

Reaction score

I don't really see Liverpool as popular in America like Arsenal and Man United are or were in the start of the 2000's when they were both dominating. Maybe that is changing now in the Klopp era. But in England Liverpool are enormous and that was not an overnight thing with Klopp, but I'm sure he helped get them over the hump with winning titles. Certainly Klopp is extremely popular though everywhere especially in Germany and GB.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Klopp made headlines in England earlier today by saying he wants the match to be replayed due to the officiating error. I don't blame him for being upset. I looked at some fan comments on BBC and someone said that England want to replay the 1986 WC Quarterfinal lol.

Stout

Reaction score
Klopp made headlines in England earlier today by saying he wants the match to be replayed due to the officiating error. I don't blame him for being upset. I looked at some fan comments on BBC and someone said that England want to replay the 1986 WC Quarterfinal lol.
Mm hmm. I'm sure he'd want a reply if the call went the other way.

Okay, for karma purposes, I'll wrap it up. Yinz did get screwed. Fair enough for being upset about it. A replay isn't the answer, but still.

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Klopp double downed the silliness of the refs, with the silliness of a replay. The only chance a replay happens is if this happened in the 95th minute or something like that.

Can you imagine if Liverpool miss out on the top 4 by one point?

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Klopp double downed the silliness of the refs, with the silliness of a replay. The only chance a replay happens is if this happened in the 95th minute or something like that.

I was thinking what happens if a top four slot is on the line and spurs are up by a point? That’s always going to be a talking point. I just want to see spurs win something for a change. Even if it’s a replica trophy.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Mm hmm. I'm sure he'd want a reply if the call went the other way.

Okay, for karma purposes, I'll wrap it up. Yinz did get screwed. Fair enough for being upset about it. A replay isn't the answer, but still.
No he would not. A replay would just open the flood gates as I think klopp even said himself. Last year when Ryan mason, spurs interim manager, critiqued the PL for not using VAR for the boot to the head, Klopp admonished spurs and said something along the lines that they should should not worry about VAR. instead they should worry about their style of play because they can only counter attack. Well I’m thankful that spurs listened to Klopp and now they are not only playing to defend and counter. It’s paying dividends, if nothing else I enjoy watching them again.

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also need to talk about this Big 6 preference that Stout seems to think exists.

There were two MAJOR calls against both of the Manchester clubs that went against them over the weekend, and the decisions look completely obvious. They both lost the game.

ManU

This is as clear of a handball as you will see. The ball went 30+ yards and hit an outstretched arm.

City

Hwang commits a clear as day yellow card when already booked, meaning he should have been sent off. If Jota's tackle deserved a yellow, this one was an orange. Hwang later scores the only goal of the game. Start around the 5:05 mark.

Both small teams got huge help against 2 of the big 6 and had a major impact in the game. There isn't this huge conspiracy going on here.

Stout

Reaction score

I felt the same way last year, losing 2 points against CP due to VAR idiocy and losing a point against Liverpool. Thankfully it didn't cost Newcastle. I don't think that's happened to a team before--I imagine we'd hear a lot about it--but it would make me angry for certain.