Liverpool FC

Discussion in 'World Sports' started by dreamcastrocks, Jan 9, 2015.

1. dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks Chopped Liver Moderator Contributor

Yes it was. Very ugly final but that is the difference between this team now and a team before Virgil Van Dijk. This team can win ugly because we have a good defense now. While he probably won't get it, he deserves to be in the short list for the Ballon D'or. If Netherlands wins the UEFA Nations, he may get it.

2. lorenzotexan

lorenzotexan Registered User

Truth, they really sat back comfortably after they scored early. and they watched spurs play side to side and backwards. Liverpool had a few promising counters that they on their own bungled more than anything else. I do think you have to credit Virgil for their magnificent change to being one of the top teams in the world. I see no other player that I can say is better than him. Especially as a lockdown defender that can move the ball forward as well as anyone else can.

3. dreamcastrocks

The defender has not been dribbed past in like 16 months or something like that. Hazard, Messi, Suarez, whomever they put on him, he gets the job done. It is unreal how good he is.

4. dreamcastrocks

Loss in the Community Shield on pens, when they were really unlucky not to win.

A 4-1 win at home v Norwich

A Supercup win on Pens when they were lucky/unlucky to win/lose.

Not a bad week overall, but Liverpool have been all over the place defensively in the 1st half of games. They will be in for a rude awakening if they do not get it sorted out.

5. dreamcastrocks

Beautiful win against City. 9 clear of City and 8 clear of Chelsea and Leicester (both of whom we have already beaten)

Things are looking good!

6. lorenzotexan

indeed, great win. Liverpool take their chances while other teams don't. for me that is the difference. I'm glad they won by multiple goals so that VAR wasn't the only topic. although I must say VAR is not getting on well.. I'm still not convinced because they are not using it well just as they don't in our American sports.

7. dreamcastrocks

No they are not. I'm not sure why the offensive player doesn't get the benefit of the doubt on really close offside decisions. They also don't get the benefit of the doubt about handball in the penalty area. I can't believe that they aren't 'man' enough to look at the monitor and change obvious decisions.

It reminds me how the NFL is reviewing PI calls right now. It's terrible.

lorenzotexan likes this.
  8. lorenzotexan

absolutely! I started to come around on VAR somewhat and I'm still for the "clear and obvious" but I just don't think the leagues are capable of enforcing that. what really bothers me is the amount of time spent to review. I think in Spurs/Everton they spent 3-4 mins reviewing a handball and then they had a player injury so there were 10 mins of added time....not good for the players IMO.

EDIT....back to topic LOL. Liverpool got this. Hopefully Salah is ok. I don't root for L'pool, but I do think he is awesome. they really have a great thing going right now all the way around.

9. dreamcastrocks

Indeed they do. I don't think Klopp is going to sign a contract extension past the time we have him, so we need to make it count while we do.

10. lorenzotexan

I think steven Garrard is waiting for his chance...isn't he mgr at rangers? you see what frank Lampard is doing at Chelsea.

11. dreamcastrocks

Playing just better than your opponents and winning is going to bite this team soon. They were in cruise control until Allison's red. This team has dropped two points all year, and probably have only hit 3rd gear. Amazing.

Hopefully they can win in Salsburg to win the group in the Champions League.

12. dreamcastrocks

Pretty comfortable 2-0 win in Salsburg. They are an exciting team. Hopefully we keep the pace up in the league. 8 points clear.

13. Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones Has No Time For Love

One of my cousins is married to a die Hard reds supporter. they went to Anfield for the Man City match last month.

Couldn't stop talking about how electric EPL soccer is in that stadium. Said nothing in the NFL, NBA or Hockey has come close.

I can't wait to get overseas for some matches. Looks like Barcelona in late April is a go and I'm pumped.

14. dreamcastrocks

I went in 2017 and saw them in Anfield against Man U. It wasn't as electric as it was a 0-0 game and we hadn't quite hit the heights of where we are now. With that said, it was a tremendous experience and I will be back some day.

I would love to go to the Camp Nou to see a game one day. Why can't I just win the PowerBall?

15. dreamcastrocks

An incredible run of form. Haven't been beaten in over a year. Haven't lost at Anfield in over 2 years. Have gone 1.5 entire premier league seasons with only one loss. I would say injuries are the only thing that could derail this team, but we have had our fair share of those (Allison, Fabinho, Oxlade Chamberlin, Matip, etc.) and haven't missed a beat.

I don't know what to do with myself having a team that I support being so dominant. This must be what Patriots fans have felt like the past 15 years.

Stout likes this.