Leinart in AZCentral: "I want to be here until I'm done playing"

Mrh182

Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score
Great write up from Dan Bickley on Matt Leinarts growing up :thumbup:

The pretty boy is growing older, and the party-boy pictures aren't popping up on the Internet anymore. Matt Leinart has rarely looked better. He is somewhat chiseled now, hardened by a new commitment to the weight room and life in the NFL. He takes pride in being the second-team quarterback. He is 26 years old and beginning to make very smart choices.
"A lot of this goes to the maturity of Matt," Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt said. "A lot of times (backup quarterbacks) are guys who have had tremendous success in the past, and they don't handle the role very well. And then when it comes time for them to play, they're not prepared. They don't play well.

"I have to give credit to Matt, because it appears to me, from what I've seen on the practice field, that he's grown up."
For many reasons, from celebrity dalliances to infamous hot-tub photos, Leinart became the ultimate Southern California cliche, mocked for his misguided priorities. But after the Cardinals' run to the Super Bowl in February, Leinart proved he was the ultimate team player.

He chose not to make it about himself. He didn't demand a trade or show up to training camp with a mysterious injury. He decided to live the Steve Young parallel, a lefty who bided his time under Joe Montana in San Francisco until his talent simply burst from the well.

I respect that. And so do the Cardinals coaches, who still are getting reports of Anquan Boldin and his sore hamstring dunking over people during pick-up games at a local fitness center.

"Obviously, the big question is, 'I want to play, and when is that going to happen?' " Leinart said. "But my mind-set is to remain focused and remain confident in my ability. It was never in my mind to take another path.
"I always wanted to be here, and I want to be here until I'm done playing. There's a business side to it, and everything doesn't always happen the way you want it. But my opportunity is coming, and it's on me to continue getting better and to be ready when it happens."

Unofficially, Leinart lost his job after suffering an injury in 2007. Kurt Warner filled in and has been shredding NFL defenses ever since. Officially, Leinart lost the gig after a terrible preseason showing against the Raiders last year.
It has been a long time since he has commanded a football team. That can be hard on a quarterback's ego. It also took awhile for Leinart to accept that he was not burglarized, rather beaten out by a Hall of Fame quarterback seizing his last stand.

"He said to me after last season, 'I learned a lot watching Kurt play at the level he did, and I realized I better learn because he was playing at a level I had never seen before,' " Whisenhunt said. "When a guy is making a mature comment like that, saying that he was going to watch Kurt and learn from Kurt and be ready when it's his turn, that to me is a sign of progress."
On the field, Leinart is growing up, too. His coaches say he's much stronger, with improved footwork and better command of the offense. But it's his attitude they like the most.

No doubt, Leinart will get his shot. Warner's streak of 31 consecutive starts, playoffs included, is a modern miracle. If he should break down in 2009, the backup promises to be ready, eager to start his career all over again.
"I haven't had a lot of chances out there to show what I can do, and part of that is my fault," Leinart said. "But I have gotten better. I've grown up a lot. And I think I have a lot to show."

Times have changed. A pretty boy quarterback from USC is now gracing the pages of GQ, frolicking on the beach with a female. The girl has become an Internet sensation, while the quarterback (Mark Sanchez) is getting nods of approval from Jets legend Joe Namath.

Meanwhile, Leinart has become a grinder, and you can almost see a new determination in his eyes. Welcome to adulthood, Matt. It suits you well.
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2009/05/21/20090521bickley0521.html

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Matty's a good boy.

If he continues getting better, i want him here too.

Cody

i love defense
Reaction score
i woulda picked him over warner and saved a bunch of money

cgolden

Registered
Reaction score
It's very promising to read stories like that versus what we saw last off season.

chickenhead

Reaction score
The only way Matt is not our starter soon is if Warner stays healthy and plays well. It's fairly win-win to my mind.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
He's probably just saying that because he is getting the hook ups at the Scottsdale bars and enjoys the night life in AZ:sarcasm:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
"I haven't had a lot of chances out there to show what I can do, and part of that is my fault," Leinart said. "But I have gotten better. I've grown up a lot. And I think I have a lot to show."

Nuff said. Great article and good for Matt.

If Leinart stays here until Warner retires, and if there is football in 2011 you will see the total transformation of the Cardinals into "Steeler's West". IMO. Heavy running game, great play action game with Fitzgerald, big talented OL, and a better faster 3-4 defense.

I think Leinart is going to do what is said in this article. Explode onto the scene.

fball13

Registered
Reaction score
I know this article and thread are about Matt... and I don't want to turn this into bash Q thread number 9,321... but, this line in the article add to my feelings that Q=TO (without the speed).

"I respect that. And so do the Cardinals coaches, who still are getting reports of Anquan Boldin and his sore hamstring dunking over people during pick-up games at a local fitness center."

Back to Matt... I think in his time as a starter, he showed a great skill in managing a game. Definately will never be a Warner type QB, but probably more like Big Ben in that he won't light you up, but can manage/win games.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
I know this article and thread are about Matt... and I don't want to turn this into bash Q thread number 9,321... but, this line in the article add to my feelings that Q=TO (without the speed).

"I respect that. And so do the Cardinals coaches, who still are getting reports of Anquan Boldin and his sore hamstring dunking over people during pick-up games at a local fitness center."

Back to Matt... I think in his time as a starter, he showed a great skill in managing a game. Definately will never be a Warner type QB, but probably more like Big Ben in that he won't light you up, but can manage/win games.

Dude, Anquan can dunk over people with one leg tied behind his back.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Nuff said. Great article and good for Matt.

If Leinart stays here until Warner retires, and if there is football in 2011 you will see the total transformation of the Cardinals into "Steeler's West". IMO. Heavy running game, great play action game with Fitzgerald, big talented OL, and a better faster 3-4 defense.

I think Leinart is going to do what is said in this article. Explode onto the scene.

All good!!

fball13

Registered
Reaction score
Dude, Anquan can dunk over people with one leg tied behind his back.

Ha ha, classic. I heard he can dunk from the top of the key using nothing but his pinky toe... on his left foot!

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nobody but nobody here slammed Leinart sooner or harder than me. I was proven mostly right. So what?

What matters is what Matt has done to turn himself from spoiled Diva into a pro. I like what I've read about him the last 18 months. I like his weight room work and strength and bulk gains. His pouting has disappeared. If his statements in the media are sincere, Matt has matured in time to save his career.

We need him. I'm pulling for him.

Unsterblich856

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i woulda picked him over warner and saved a bunch of money
The thing about Warner's contract is that it is worth $4mil in base money, but he got a $15mil signing bonus, so he's getting paid $19mil this year but only goes against $4mil in the cap next year. Next year is the year when all the pending free agents get signed, so might as well give him his money now.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing about Warner's contract is that it is worth $4mil in base money, but he got a $15mil signing bonus, so he's getting paid $19mil this year but only goes against $4mil in the cap next year. Next year is the year when all the pending free agents get signed, so might as well give him his money now.

Next year, Leinart gets like a 15M roster bonus, which does count towards the cap. They'd better have a plan for that, because if they don't.....

Cody

i love defense
Reaction score

oh i thought his big dollars screwed us for next season too. also like i have the idea if he was to be injured the whole time, or played like crap...we still have to pay him all that money

Cody

i love defense
Reaction score
Next year, Leinart gets like a 15M roster bonus, which does count towards the cap. They'd better have a plan for that, because if they don't.....

Cant we re structure him, would that help?

lauraw

"Vincere, Aut Mori" !
Reaction score
Can Scottsdale compete with LA nightlife ? Just askin..I think so.

Perfectionist

Objectively Correct
Reaction score
I am feeling much better about our quarterback position. If Warner can stay healthy all the better, but if he goes down it is great to hear Matt has a head on his soulder.