LeCharles Bentley Interview on Doug and Wolf

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
http://arizonasports.com/category/podcast_player/?a=335857&sid=1004&n=Doug+&+Wolf

Holy crap! This guy does not pull any punches. Great interview.

Starts off with Veldheer's struggles. Surprisingly though, he's giving no credence to the RT switch. He sees the issue not being physical or mechanical, but all mental. Says he sees a guy that had no fight and looks like he's quit. Says once you have your foot out the door, it's too hard to turn it back on. Sees that position and player as the biggest concern for the Cards going forward.

Then Wolfley asks what he sees as the problem around the league with OL play. Rather than point to the spread offense in college or lack of practice time, he's pointing to the OL coaches in the NFL. Says OL play is an intimate and delicate process, with the patriarch that has to bring it all together being the OL coach. Says what we're seeing now is coaches that spend more time berating players and flexing their egos than developing the skillsets of their players - part of the reason being that they're not willing to invest the time to develop and educate themselves outside of the narrow scope of what they already know. Says this all creates a toxic environment that makes guys dread coming to work and makes it difficult for development to occur.

Nobody said it, but listening to this almost made me think, is he calling out Harold Goodwin - without actually calling out Harold Goodwin? He's worked with several Cardinals players at his camp. So I'm sure he knows better than most what goes on it that locker room when it comes to OL.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this enlightening interview, CFL! There is real credence to what LCB says.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Nobody said it, but listening to this almost made me think, is he calling out Harold Goodwin - without actually calling out Harold Goodwin? He's worked with several Cardinals players at his camp. So I'm sure he knows better than most what goes on it that locker room when it comes to OL.

Massie was interviewed after he went to the Bears and pretty much said the same thing about Goodwin indirectly - teaches to feed his idea of what is 'correct' versus teaching technique tailored to the athlete and position.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Then Wolfley asks what he sees as the problem around the league with OL play. Rather than point to the spread offense in college or lack of practice time, he's pointing to the OL coaches in the NFL.

i think Bentley is a smart guy -- and clearly knows more about o line play than 99.9% of the world

but, his statement is one that directly benefits his business: training NFL offensive linemen in the offseason on offensive line play.

a surprise would have been if he said NFL offensive line coaches all know what they are doing.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
ill add this on Veldheer:

lets assume you are worried about concussions and blows to your head. Now think about how you might go about playing NFL football on the line with that concern in the back of your head (so to speak).

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Even though he didn't say the switch to RT was the issue - but if I were a professional athlete, like a kickboxer (since I've done this), and I had to switch from my strong side to my weak side - I would get slaughtered. It would take a long time to develop the coordination and power from my left side - regardless if I was landing punches and kicks. And if I'm going against the best athletes in the world - that would be the difference of being a starter, a backup or even a paid athlete.

I don't think sticking with the switch to the right side was a smart move with Veldheer and they probably should have killed it during the offseason when he was flopping around like a stunted duck.

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Veldheer is just going through the motions. He will collect his checks for the seventeen weeks of the season and then ride off into the sunset. He should've retired during training camp. He looks like an employee who has already given his two week notice. He needs to sack his poo and get the hell out.

Keim should be held accountable for all of the decision he has made to get his employees to this point.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Our coaching staff are pure geniuses:

You must be registered for see images attach

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
ill add this on Veldheer:

lets assume you are worried about concussions and blows to your head. Now think about how you might go about playing NFL football on the line with that concern in the back of your head (so to speak).

Uh no, because since Deacon Jones they have outlawed the head slap... only getting your leg rolled up is a concern for a lineman in my opinion

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
LeCharles has mad one heck of a school for o lineman.

Veldeer id checked out along with Iupati...the two want out
Sad they're selling Fitz and Palmer out...to cash a check and run.

I don't like moving Veldheer to the right....he's never done it. That's a coaching failure as much as a failure on Veldheer not doing the job.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Just as I said Monday & Tuesday, the guy is finished because he thought of retirement & injuries!!! His mind & body just isn't into playing the game:bang:

His movement to RT as an excuse is total hogwash. When you get bull rushed back into your QB repeatedly & more than 1 week his effort is telling me all I need to know.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You guys are being too rough on the guy. He's in a new position and virtually alone on the line with rookies. It'll be a jailbreak on every play. I watched him directly on a rewatching of the game and I saw struggles for sure, but not quit. He was wrestling a wildman all by himself without his hands being usable.

pmacLean

Veteran
Reaction score
kinda tired of all the "oh it's harder than it looks at this level to switch sides... blah blah ... muscle memory blah blah" ... he's being paid 10 million effing dollars to be able to do anything he's asked including playing cornerback if that's what is needed....

this team has expended mass amounts of blarney telling us that certain backups are "Swiss army jack-knives" because they can fill in ANYWHERE on the line... but for 10 million bucks you can only play one position, on one side of the line ? ... please ... just retire (forcibly) the guy right now... you could pick up a completely undrafted rookie off any practice squad that could, at worst, do exactly the same for 200,000, saving you 9.8 million dollars and in most cases the guy would outplay Valdheer...

oh, and Badger is done also, just get him out of there...

but, of course, the biggest need is to just destroy the coaching (cough, cough) staff, since that doesn't really exist, we just have a bunch of geriatric charlatans following BA around and refilling his booze container while he pontificates on what a genius he is and how the players all suck and don't worry Amos and Harold, your jobs are safe ....

these clowns have already lost the players ... 1-15 wouldn't surprise me at this point...

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Just as I said Monday & Tuesday, the guy is finished because he thought of retirement & injuries!!! His mind & body just isn't into playing the game:bang:

His movement to RT as an excuse is total hogwash. When you get bull rushed back into your QB repeatedly & more than 1 week his effort is telling me all I need to know.
he never thought about retirement until after Hump was announced as the starting LT
they should have dropped Jared to guard and cut Iupati then signed an OT with the money

Buckybird

Reaction score
he never thought about retirement until after Hump was announced as the starting LT
they should have dropped Jared to guard and cut Iupati then signed an OT with the money
I don't think that's correct oaken. I'm pretty sure it was after the SB like February or March that the move between the 2 was announced. Veldheer pondered retirement in or right before TC & I'm pretty sure it was due to fear of health issues.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I don't think that's correct oaken. I'm pretty sure it was after the SB like February or March that the move between the 2 was announced. Veldheer pondered retirement in or right before TC & I'm pretty sure it was due to fear of health issues.
thats my point. it was already announced he was being replaced at LT before he ever contemplated retirement. he may well of thought of retirement because he didnt want to have to learn a new position at this point in his career.... he has always played on the left

Buckybird

Reaction score
thats my point. it was already announced he was being replaced at LT before he ever contemplated retirement. he may well of thought of retirement because he didnt want to have to learn a new position at this point in his career.... he has always played on the left
But yet he's playing right?

Again it was reportedly because of Health issues I'm assuming CTE & other health concerns. I still say he's checked out mentally & physically because of that. He's getting bull rushed & tossed around like a rag doll & it's been happening all season though Monday was a whole different animal. Lawrence isn't a great player by any means my man! Ugh

B-train & LeCharles agree with me

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The NFL is full of the "good ole boys club" mentality. One of the things that has disappointed me the most from Arians is his verbalizing that the college game is impacting the guys they are getting. That may be the case, but it can't be an excuse. Everybody is dealing with that issue. What matters is what you are doing to overcome it. Same goes with how the collective bargaining agreement is impacting offensive lines. Everyone is dealing with it, but I didn't see extra snaps for the starting offensive line in preseason to get these guys more reps. Nope, it was new circumstances but same old practices being used.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The NFL is full of the "good ole boys club" mentality. One of the things that has disappointed me the most from Arians is his verbalizing that the college game is impacting the guys they are getting. That may be the case, but it can't be an excuse. Everybody is dealing with that issue. What matters is what you are doing to overcome it. Same goes with how the collective bargaining agreement is impacting offensive lines. Everyone is dealing with it, but I didn't see extra snaps for the starting offensive line in preseason to get these guys more reps. Nope, it was new circumstances but same old practices being used.

Yeah, and at the same time Keim is letting guys that have been developed internally like Massie leave, not hiring legit veteran replacements, and crying foul when the cheap and inexperienced players he's signed can't perform.

If there's an inefficiency for a "Keim time" signing these days, it's probably veteran offensive linemen who are in their 30s with two dozen starts and don't want to play for the veteran minimum. The problem is that those guys would step on crappy draft picks like Dorian Johnson who never develop.

ALSO: Screw LCB. Good job turning Earl Watford and Jonathan Cooper into NFL players, bud.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Cards haven't developed an O line player in ages. Shoot, I can't name one.
Iupati - free agent - primed
Veldheer - free agent - PRIME LT always....now at RT - WHY WHY WHY
Shipley - ????
Boehm - 2nd year guy - hearing his name too much during games as the fault...I have hope for th guy with all his wrestling experience.

Shoot the 49ers got Whitworth for a few million and he SHUTS EVERYONE DOWN. Watch him vs. Jones on Sunday...we won't hear Jones name...other than...'is he out there?'

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Cards haven't developed an O line player in ages. Shoot, I can't name one.
Iupati - free agent - primed
Veldheer - free agent - PRIME LT always....now at RT - WHY WHY WHY
Shipley - ????
Boehm - 2nd year guy - hearing his name too much during games as the fault...I have hope for th guy with all his wrestling experience.

Shoot the 49ers got Whitworth for a few million and he SHUTS EVERYONE DOWN. Watch him vs. Jones on Sunday...we won't hear Jones name...other than...'is he out there?'

You're thinking of the Rams. The 49ers still have Joe Staley.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
The last Olineman the cards actually developed was Sendline.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson