Latu Versus Verse

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
4-3 defensive ends. while I would prefer a DT, these guys still help the defensive front and a guy like Sweat can be had in later rounds.
these two dudes are almost clones...6'5 265 for Latu 6'4 260 for Verse... Both players will turn 24 during their rookie season. That advanced age means we see less improvement over the life of the contract...but we also get a player ready to contribute on day 1.
of the two, Verse has shown continued production at a high level. partially because he started at a small nobody school before he transferred to FSU..but his production didnt drop.
Either guy should develop into a steady 8 sack guy in the nfl with better seasons sprinkled in.

choosing between the two, I would take Verse.

Latu is a better pass rusher but Verse is more rounded.

But here is the thing... Latu started at Wahington.... had a neck injury that was severe enough that washington declared him medically retired and would no longer let him play. So he went into the portal and found a school desperate enough for talent to give him medical clearance...and moved to ucla.
to be clear..I would have done the same thing. He had a barrier between he and his dream and he did what he had to do to get past it and achieve his goal. I respect the hell out of that drive.
But if im an NFL GM I am not taking that risk with a first round pick. to have a player die or be paralyzed on the field could devastate your locker room and create a PR nightmare...which we certainly dont need. Not to mention the setback of having a first round pick removed from the team.
so, yeah...if im looking DE/EDGE in the first, Im looking at Jared Verse.

OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
How do u feel about the Washington pass rusher?
Bralen Trice?
Dude is a good motor player. Needs to get stronger to be a three down player in the nfl and work on dropping his hips to improve his pass rush.. but he works.
He has the arizona connection , being a hometown Phoenix kid and I always like that angle.
I think he will bulk up so DE is a better option for him than OLB at the pro level plus he has a quick first step on his get off but its not elite,,his stock is rising due to his performance in the bowl game and could continue to go up with a good showing in the NC Game... that and a run on edge players could see him go as high as maybe pick 20 in the first round... but I expect him to go more in the 40 range based solely on his attributes.
He can help a team win. he can help our team win

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson