Steph versus Sabrina

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
"Golden State Warriors star Stephen Curry wasn't named an All-Star Game starter Thursday but did hint that he has plans for at least one event in Indianapolis over All-Star Weekend.

Curry was wired with a microphone for Golden State's game Thursday night against the Sacramento Kings and had a discussion with Warriors teammate Brandin Podziemskiabout Sabrina Ionescu, who scored 37 points in the WNBA's 3-point contest last summer. That topped Curry's NBA 3-point contest best of 31."

Curry hints at special contest

"I think I've got to challenge her," Curry said.

Ionescu, the New York Liberty star, responded on social media: "Let's getttttt it!! See ya at the 3 pt line."

"Skills took center stage on Saturday night during NBA All-Star Weekend, including a one-of-a-kind showdown between WNBA 3-point contest record holder Sabrina Ionescu of the New York Liberty and NBA all-time 3-point leader Stephen Curry of the Golden State Warriors, a two-time NBA 3-point contest winner who shares the single-round NBA record. Curry won with the best round by any player all night long."

Sabrina versus Steph replay

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
so Sabrina scored 26 points, which was the top score in the regular three point contest. Steph topped that with 29 points which came down to the last rack of balls to beat Sabrina.

TNT brought out a large WWF type belt with matching goats on the sides for the winner.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
She did use the WNBA balls which do encourage a higher shooting percentage, but she was also shooting from NBA range so it was still quite impressive. People underrate women's basketball IMO, it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Why I bring this up in the Suns thread is we could do that in PHX for charity! Diana versus Devin. That would be too cool. Gotta get a TNT style belt for that, too.
She did use the WNBA balls which do encourage a higher shooting percentage, but she was also shooting from NBA range so it was still quite impressive. People underrate women's basketball IMO, it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be.
What's funny is Diana Taurasi was on the side of playing with the Men's size ball. She and Brittany Griner say it's harder to shoot the smaller ball. Other WNBA stars countered Taurasi they liked the ball. It's been a small controversy in the past in the WNBA.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Why I bring this up in the Suns thread is we could do that in PHX for charity! Diana versus Devin. That would be too cool. Gotta get a TNT style belt for that, too.

What's funny is Diana Taurasi was on the side of playing with the Men's size ball. She and Brittany Griner say it's harder to shoot the smaller ball. Other WNBA stars countered Taurasi they liked the ball. It's been a small controversy in the past in the WNBA.
The older players grew up using a men's size ball so it was an adjustment to change to the women's ball. It's basic geometry that a smaller ball is more likely to go in as it has more space to go through the rim.

The WNBA players are also firmly against changing the height of the rim even though it would probably make for more entertainment.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The older players grew up using a men's size ball so it was an adjustment to change to the women's ball. It's basic geometry that a smaller ball is more likely to go in as it has more space to go through the rim.

The WNBA players are also firmly against changing the height of the rim even though it would probably make for more entertainment.
They are opposed to it because people would denigrate their game even more if it was even more different than the men's game. Plus they all grew up shooting on 10 foot rims. You lower the rims and they shots will get flatter and more easily blocked, leading to slogging defensive games. That is not what the league wants at all.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Also I see what Taurasi is saying. I played with the kid sized basketball before and it's even smaller. The problem is it doesn't have the weight to "drop in" to the basket on shots. It tends to fly on you. It's also easier to rattle out because the lack of weight. Personally, I found I shot worse.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
They are opposed to it because people would denigrate their game even more if it was even more different than the men's game. Plus they all grew up shooting on 10 foot rims. You lower the rims and they shots will get flatter and more easily blocked, leading to slogging defensive games. That is not what the league wants at all.
They use a smaller ball and use a shorter 3 point line, it is already significantly different. Going to something like a 9 foot rim would be an adjustment, but it would allow for some more poster dunks and whatnot and that would add some excitement to the game. They would even make layups at a higher percentage. Most people are close minded about women's basketball as it is, don't see how lowering the rim is going to do anything to make that worse.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
They use a smaller ball and use a shorter 3 point line, it is already significantly different. Going to something like a 9 foot rim would be an adjustment, but it would allow for some more poster dunks and whatnot and that would add some excitement to the game. They would even make layups at a higher percentage. Most people are close minded about women's basketball as it is, don't see how lowering the rim is going to do anything to make that worse.
I just said how it would be worse. I watch the Mercury probably more than anyone on this board. People have a preconceived notion about women's basketball. What's funny is anyone I ever took to a Mercury game told me that it was way more fun than they thought it would be, and are willing to come back and watch another game. The league just has to get those butts in the seats for the first time. After that, the game sells itself.

Moving the three point line back would help the women's game because it would open the floor more. It's easier for the women to guard the three point line because they don't have to run as far when playing off a shooter. There has been a little talk about moving it back.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I just said how it would be worse. I watch the Mercury probably more than anyone on this board. People have a preconceived notion about women's basketball. What's funny is anyone I ever took to a Mercury game told me that it was way more fun than they thought it would be, and are willing to come back and watch another game. The league just has to get those butts in the seats for the first time. After that, the game sells itself.

Moving the three point line back would help the women's game because it would open the floor more. It's easier for the women to guard the three point line because they don't have to run as far when playing off a shooter. There has been a little talk about moving it back.
The issue with moving the line back is that they are already only shooting 34% from the shorter line as it is. The 3 point percentage would only go down if you force the players that shoot right behind the current line to take another step away from the basket. If they had that kind of range they would just set up from that far back right now and create that kind of spacing anyways.

What would likely happen if they moved the line back would be more sagging off of shooters since most of them aren't going to torch you from so far away anyways. So you end up with similar spacing with worse 3 point shooting. It works for the NBA because they are filled with players that can torch you all the way out to like 26-28 feet. Hell the current NBA line is almost obsolete because so many players shoot from 2-5 feet behind it anyways.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The issue with moving the line back is that they are already only shooting 34% from the shorter line as it is. The 3 point percentage would only go down if you force the players that shoot right behind the current line to take another step away from the basket. If they had that kind of range they would just set up from that far back right now and create that kind of spacing anyways.

What would likely happen if they moved the line back would be more sagging off of shooters since most of them aren't going to torch you from so far away anyways. So you end up with similar spacing with worse 3 point shooting. It works for the NBA because they are filled with players that can torch you all the way out to like 26-28 feet. Hell the current NBA line is almost obsolete because so many players shoot from 2-5 feet behind it anyways.
It would be countered by being wide open. We see that in the NBA too. Guys shoot better when someone isn't up on them or is not running right at them. The game is going to the three point shot. When a WNBA team is shooting hot in game from three, I have seen it open up the lane for easy layups and in the paint jumpers and floaters. I have played with a professional woman player, believe me they have range. Why not shoot as close to the line as you can? I will concede I have a higher opinion of the women's talents than most.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
ANYWAY, despite the debate about the ball, etc, The main point is a Devin versus Diana would be a great show here in Phoenix. Maybe at the WNBA All Star game coming up in Phoenix? Let's get back on topic if you will.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Just tweeted Mat Ishbia, Diana T, Book, EJ, Tom Leander, Sophie Cunningham, Tom Chambers about getting a Devin Versus Diana shoot out at the WNBA All Star weekend. Trying to get this a thing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I enjoyed watch Steph and Sabrina for the entertainment value. More should be done to promote women's basketball, I'd support anything that gives it more legitimacy.

For it to be more, the measurements of the court and ball need to be the same. The height of the basket needs to remain the same as well.

If anything, I hope there is a movement for U.S. rules and international rules and measurements to eventually become the same.

At some point, I think we will have world leagues and competition, so I think this is the direction basketball should be moving.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I enjoyed watch Steph and Sabrina for the entertainment value. More should be done to promote women's basketball, I'd support anything that gives it more legitimacy.

For it to be more, the measurements of the court and ball need to be the same. The height of the basket needs to remain the same as well.

If anything, I hope there is a movement for U.S. rules and international rules and measurements to eventually become the same.

At some point, I think we will have world leagues and competition, so I think this is the direction basketball should be moving.
It's good for the NBA's bottom line to promote the WNBA because they fund their existence to begin with. The fact that they don't is odd and makes you wonder if maybe they think it would be a waste of money.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It would be countered by being wide open. We see that in the NBA too. Guys shoot better when someone isn't up on them or is not running right at them. The game is going to the three point shot. When a WNBA team is shooting hot in game from three, I have seen it open up the lane for easy layups and in the paint jumpers and floaters. I have played with a professional woman player, believe me they have range. Why not shoot as close to the line as you can? I will concede I have a higher opinion of the women's talents than most.
Something came to mind and it brought me back to this conversation. In the mid 90s we saw the NBA experiment with a 22' 3 point line for 3 seasons and we saw the 3 point percentage immediately go up from like 33% to about 36% (as high as 36.7% in the last of the 3 years) and immediately dropped back down to about 34% when they went back to the old line. Point being that while they were likely getting more open 3s when the line was moved back the percentage still dropped off from the longer 3 point line.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

It's been a debate of us moving to their measurements versus them moving to ours. Maybe we could meet in the middle?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been a debate of us moving to their measurements versus them moving to ours. Maybe we could meet in the middle?

I think everyone should have the same measurements and the same rules including FIBA.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Still working the Twitter machine. Trying to make this happen. :)

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think everyone should have the same measurements and the same rules including FIBA.

The only FIBA rule I think could be an issue is goaltending. The ball can be taken off the cylinder in international play. The athletes in the NBA would make that an issue unique to the NBA. The league likes giving things a trial run in the G League but I think adapting that would be an issue after it's been in the NBA for a couple of years and players adjusted but it would be an issue more unique to the NBA. The G League has phenomenal athletes but still not like the NBA. So I could see that being something like the adjusted 3pt line from the 90's, they'd try it and as soon as it players grew accustomed they'd take it out because of how it would effect scoring.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only FIBA rule I think could be an issue is goaltending. The ball can be taken off the cylinder in international play. The athletes in the NBA would make that an issue unique to the NBA. The league likes giving things a trial run in the G League but I think adapting that would be an issue after it's been in the NBA for a couple of years and players adjusted but it would be an issue more unique to the NBA. The G League has phenomenal athletes but still not like the NBA. So I could see that being something like the adjusted 3pt line from the 90's, they'd try it and as soon as it players grew accustomed they'd take it out because of how it would effect scoring.

Without looking it up, the WNBA has unique measurements such as the size of the basketball and the distance of the 3-point line. I'd eventually like one set of rules pertaining to basketball prevail for the NBA, college, WNBA and FIBA. If they want to use the G-League as sort of a laboratory for rule changes then so be it.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Without looking it up, the WNBA has unique measurements such as the size of the basketball and the distance of the 3-point line. I'd eventually like one set of rules pertaining to basketball prevail for the NBA, college, WNBA and FIBA. If they want to use the G-League as sort of a laboratory for rule changes then so be it.

I get what you're saying but I dont see men's and women's basketball having identical rules as well as court dimensions, as far as 3pt line, and ball dimensions. I'd love to see the NBA and FIBA have the same rules though.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get what you're saying but I dont see men's and women's basketball having identical rules as well as court dimensions, as far as 3pt line, and ball dimensions. I'd love to see the NBA and FIBA have the same rules though.

If women want to compete with men in competition, like at the All-Star game and get paid fairly, I think it would behoove them to move towards having identical rules.

Basketball is one of those sports where I think it may be possible.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If women want to compete with men in competition, like at the All-Star game and get paid fairly, I think it would behoove them to move towards having identical rules.

Basketball is one of those sports where I think it may be possible.
Changing the 3-point line isn't going to make a difference -- the female game will never gain the popularity the men's game does no matter what you do. Salaries are going to be commensurate with popularity, so female players will never be compensated like the men. Fair or not, that's the sad reality. Female players aren't paid enough and the men are paid too much. I don't know if that will ever change.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Changing the 3-point line isn't going to make a difference -- the female game will never gain the popularity the men's game does no matter what you do. Salaries are going to be commensurate with popularity, so female players will never be compensated like the men. Fair or not, that's the sad reality. Female players aren't paid enough and the men are paid too much. I don't know if that will ever change.
Probably won't ever change because the WNBA wouldn't exist if the NBA didn't subsidize it. It would have folded long ago.