KD and Beal Trade Recap

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think what's funny is no matter which approach we took, there is risk. There is no option in this league without risk. Assuming younger players won't get hurt is absurd. We have all seen young guys that can't stay on the court. Heck, they are hoping Webanyama won't get hurt against NBA bigs and are trying to find a center to help take the punishment.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I explained it in a later post.

Statistically, he is already in decline, he needs to bounce back before I believe he will be effective 4 or 5 years from now. You factor in all those leg injuries... no, I don't see Beal being a stud into his mid 30s.

I'm still for the trade, we had no other way to get a player of his talent.
The Beal experience depends on how much he buys into his new role. Ryan Russillo pointed out Ray Allen going from 25ppg for Seattle in 07’ to 17ppg for Boston in 08’ with a far less usage rate. The fact that he only wanted to come here and is willing to play with two players that are better than him makes me think he’s willing to sacrifice for the greater good.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The Beal experience depends on how much he buys into his new role. Ryan Russillo pointed out Ray Allen going from 25ppg for Seattle in 07’ to 17ppg for Boston in 08’ with a far less usage rate. The fact that he only wanted to come here and is willing to play with two players that are better than him makes me think he’s willing to sacrifice for the greater good.
To be fair, the league scoring average was just 99.9 PPG in 08'. It was 114.7 PPG last season. There is more than enough shots to go around for both Booker and KD to average 25+ and Beal average over 20.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Going by Real GM estimates it will $157m in three years (21 above current). Of course these estimates are almost always lower than the actual number so it will probably be closer to $165m or so. With Durant's contract coming off it may not be enough to put us significantly under the cap, but it at least keeps us under the 2nd apron where a lot of the restrictions come into effect.
Next year the cap is supposedly going to jump a LOT when TV deals are redone. That's the wildcard in all this.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Next year the cap is supposedly going to jump a LOT when TV deals are redone. That's the wildcard in all this.
Yeah we could come out looking great if it does jump significantly. From what I can find the NBA is looking for a deal that is like 3 times the amount of the current deal. That would mean a huge jump in the salary cap.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I don't think they want Beal to score that low. They are looking for their top three to pony up 75 to 80 points a night. We didn't beat Denver because we didn't score enough. NBA analysts are saying Suns realize they can't stop Jokic, so as a team they have to outscore Denver. Thus bring in a top third scorer.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm not sure if some fans fully appreciate draft picks are like a currency in the NBA to get trades done.

It's not just their value in using them to draft a player, which is important. After all, those "skeletons" have to come from somewhere.

Perhaps it's easier to understand (except when the Suns do have a 1st round draft pick every other season beginning in 2024) they are on a barter system.

Imagine going shopping to fill a need and the only option is to barter players.

There are only so many good players that can be had for the veteran minimum salary.
Equally I think some posters fail to recognize that each year we move forward in which we have a pick that pick becomes a tradable commodity and future picks become available for trade.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think what's funny is no matter which approach we took, there is risk. There is no option in this league without risk. Assuming younger players won't get hurt is absurd. We have all seen young guys that can't stay on the court. Heck, they are hoping Webanyama won't get hurt against NBA bigs and are trying to find a center to help take the punishment.
Correct. Exhibit A: cam Johnson.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
And if after two years they go in a different direction that “fossil” will have plenty of value as an expiring.

It's frustrating that this myth persists. Expiring contracts bring value-negative contracts in return. That's what Beal is. He's the sixth-highest paid player in the league, has made the All-NBA third team once, and has struggled to stay healthy. He is the definition of a value-negative contract. It makes sense for the Suns to take him on during their short-term championship window, but they will not be able to do a long-term rebuild around value-negative contracts.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The more I think about this the more I don’t like it. I mean I totally get it, but if you don’t win a championship in the next two years it’s gonna be a disaster, but if you do then everything is forgiven.

I don’t like that we gave up so much for two declining players and matched up better with the Booker timeline.

I have no idea what’s gonna happen or how it’s gonna work but I’ll tell you this I’m about as excited for a season to start as I’ve ever been

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s typically a combination. I find it amusing that you’re all or nothing on draft picks and fail to recognize that KJ, Barkley, Paul, KD, and Beal all came via trade. And nash (when he was actually great), chambers, manning, AC green, wayman tisdake, crowder, ainge, all came via free agency.

I never said you can’t do other things to augment, what I am saying is that if you don’t have success in the draft in the nba then you have no chance at all.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The more I think about this the more I don’t like it. I mean I totally get it, but if you don’t win a championship in the next two years it’s gonna be a disaster, but if you do then everything is forgiven.

I don’t like that we gave up so much for two declining players and matched up better with the Booker timeline.

I have no idea what’s gonna happen or how it’s gonna work but I’ll tell you this I’m about as excited for a season to start as I’ve ever been

Once the Suns made the Durant trade, they gave away the building blocks to build the team on the Booker timeline.

Now it's Bradley Beal, Devin Booker, Kevin Durant or bust. The wild card is Deandre Ayton. He can help mitigate the timeline.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Anyone can get hurt, that is true.

However, we are staking our hopes that 2 guys who have constantly been injured will become healthy… in their 30s.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Anyone can get hurt, that is true.

However, we are staking our hopes that 2 guys who have constantly been injured will become healthy… in their 30s.
Want NBA players DON'T have an injury history? Bridges, then.....

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Want NBA players DON'T have an injury history? Bridges, then.....

Come on... there is a wide gap between Bridges and Beal and Durant. These guy don't miss a few games here and there, they're missing half the season annually.

They might have a run of health ahead of them but I wouldn't bet on it, injury prone players tend to get more and more injury prone.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Beal just averaged over 23pts a game shooting over 50% while getting double teamed more than my ex-wife

And we done saw how Booker exploded after putting a presence like KD on the court

What do you thinks going to happen with Beal?? Because yo - although it was a small sample size - we found out there are still more than enough shots to go around - even with both Book and KD on the court

Me thinks Beal is going to feast on offense. And if he can buy into Vogel's defense with a championship driven mindset then the window is most definitely official

Last edited:

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Beal just averaged over 23pts a game shooting over 50% while getting double teamed more than my ex-wife

And we done saw how Booker exploded after putting a presence like KD on the court

What do you thinks going to happen with Beal?? Because yo - although it was a small sample size - we found out there are still more than enough shots to go around - even with both Book and KD on the court

Me thinks Beal is going to feast on offense. And if he can buy into Vogel's defense with a championship driven mindset then the window is most definitely official
Dare I ask how your ex wife was "double teamed"?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
How so? I thought he banged knees running around a screen on the perimeter.

That’s an average of 72% of games played per season . . . In his first four years. That’s a young player. Misses an average of 29% of games per season. That’s how so.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I never said you can’t do other things to augment, what I am saying is that if you don’t have success in the draft in the nba then you have no chance at all.
Ironically the draft has been more the augment for the suns and trades and free agency have provided the bigger bangs for the franchise.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ironically the draft has been more the augment for the suns and trades and free agency have provided the bigger bangs for the franchise.

Two of those seasons were short, as in 73 and 72 games. If you're going by percentage missed based on 82 game seasons then that will skew the data.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Two of those seasons were short, as in 73 and 72 games. If you're going by percentage missed based on 82 game seasons then that will skew the data.
I forgot it two seasons. I did the math with one of them. Regardless, that adjusts the number to around 25% missed on average. For a “young guy.”

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I forgot it two seasons. I did the math with one of them. Regardless, that adjusts the number to around 25% missed on average. For a “young guy.”

That's really no more than average. I tried finding data on how many games the average starter misses a season and the closest I found was research someone did looking at every All-Star over a 3 year period, which was 48 players in total, and of those 48 they averaged 28 DNP's a season.

I'm not saying Cam J is a star but that's a fairly decent picture of how much time players miss and Cam's is particularly skewed due to missing half this season with injuries.