K9's Offseason Plan

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This is a little bit of a combination of a prediction and a prescription. I try and weed out players that don’t fit the Cards’ system or I don’t think they’d like—that’s why you won’t see Jared Gaither in this plan. I’m also going to give an option for free agency; if one player is signed or goes off the market, then go to the next one.

When it comes to the draft or free agency, I don’t predict trades. They’re inherently unpredictable and generally lead to more wish fulfillment than I like to do here.

Finally, for the draft I use The Huddle Report’s Value Chart. I only consider players ranked at or lower than where the Cards are choosing in that particular round. The Huddle Report is an accurate and entertaining draft site and well worth the $9.95/mo.

Pre-free agency roster movement:
Cut OT Levi Brown – Results in $18.225 million in salary cap savings (!)
Convert Larry Fitzgerald’s roster bonus to signing bonus – Results in $12 million in cap savings this year, adds $0 to 2012 payroll, but adds $2.2 million to Fitz’s cap number from 2013 – 2018
Release TE Todd Heap - $3.375 million in salary cap savings plus payroll savings.
Release WR Chansi Stuckey - $2.45 million in salary cap savings plus payroll savings.

Total 2012 Salary cap savings: $36.05 million
Pre-movement salary cap room (EST): $3.00 million
Total salary cap space: $39.05 million (Including Calais Campbell’s Franchise Tender)

Free Agency Signings:
WR2: Robert Meachem (NO), Braylon Edwards (SF), Greg Camarillo (MIA) – I’ve been worn down on Meachem, but I think that Edwards and Camarillo are more interesting targets. The market is absolutely glutted with free agent WRs and this is a strong draft class. We should be able to get one of these guys for three years, $6 million, $2 million guaranteed.

WR4: Early Doucet (ARI), Chaz Schilens (OAK), Josh Morgan (SF), Devin Thomas (NYG), Anthony Gonzalez (IND). Injury cases and engigmas all, but would you rather have one of these guys in training camp, or an undrafted free agent? They’ll all come for minimum veteran salaries, $500,000 signing bonus

OT: Dennis Roland (CIN), Ryan O’Callahan (KC), Stacey Andrews (NYG), Artis Hicks (CLE), Kirk Chambers (HOU), Anthony Collins (CIN), Max Starks (PIT) – Probably choose two from this liast. Roland has good size and has started 27 games over the last three seasons. Andrews, Hicks, and Starks are veterans nearing the ends of their careers. You should be able to get any two of them for three years, $9 million, $4 million guaranteed.

OLB: Jarrett Johnson (BAL), Clark Haggans (ARI), Manny Lawson (CIN), Marvin Mitchell (MIA), Quentin Groves (OAK). Pickings at this need position are mighty slim even if Kamerion Wimbley (OAK) is released as expected in the coming week. Johnson may get overpaid by someone because of his pedigree. I’d prefer bringing Haggans back for two years, $4 million, $1.5 million guaranteed.

DB: Richard Marshall (ARI), William Gay (PIT), Marcus Trufant (SEA), Eric Wright (DET), Tracy Porter (NO), Kelvin Hayden (ATL). Prefer to get Marshall back, but you have to wonder how much you can pay a guy who’s never going to be more than your 2nd cornerback. Gay is an intriguing option because of his familiarity with the system, although he’s a whipping boy in Pittsburgh. Trufant could be an excellent mentor and thrive in a #2 role.

TE: John Carlson (SEA), Bo Scaife (CIN), Todd Heap (ARI). I’m actually fine with going into the draft with a depth chart of King/Housler/Dray. I’m also fine with Heap coming back at a reduced salary. If Carlson is willing to sign for Heap’s numbers—he’ll be the top free agent target—then he’d be an upgrade over Heap in every way.

That’s what I have time for right now. I’ll come back later with a first-round projection to #13 overall and a Cards mock draft.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
First-round projection and mock draft:

MOCK DRAFT:

1. IND – Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford. Easiest selection in the draft.
2. STL – Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor. The Rams won’t take him, but someone will at this place.
3. MIN – Matt Kalil, OT, Southern Cal. Second-easiest selection to project. They have to protect Christian Ponder if he’s going to become the player they want him to be.
4. CLE – Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State. I don’t think they’ll trade up to get RGIII because I think they’re going to sign Matt Flynn as a free agent. So they’re going to give Flynn some weapons.
5. TB – Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU. The Bucs need help at WR and I wouldn’t be surprised to see them trade out of here if they can get additional picks, but they need to build that awful defense.
6. WAS – Michael Brockers, DT, LSU. I expect that St. Louis will be drafting in this spot, and Jeff Fisher knows that you build a defense from the inside out.
7. JAC – Quinton Couples, DE, North Carolina. The Jaguars need to deep drafting defensive ends until they do it right.
8. MIA – Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M. They feel comfortable making this move after signing Peyton Manning to be the immediate future (or signing Jason Campbell to give the fan base some hope). They’d prefer to take Couples to ease their transition to the 4-3 defense.
9. CAR – Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama. They’d prefer to build the interior of their defense, and they’d be happy to trade out of this pick to get more cheap talent later in the draft.
10. BUF – Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa. It’s not going to be a pick that gets the fans fired up, but it will help get the team better.
11. KC – David DeCastro, OG, Stanford. Offensive line means everything for a team that historically has had some of the best but currently is talent-poor.
12. SEA – Courtney Upshaw, LB, Alabama. Upshaw is a perfect fit for Seattle hybrid defensive fronts.
13. ARI – Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame. A pick to get the fans fired up. The Cards will likely receive calls from teams wanting to move up for RB Trent Richardson or DE Nick Perry, and would probably take one of those calls, but they’d only manage to add a 3rd round pick.

Rest of the Cards’ draft:

3 (81) – Amini Silatolu, OG, Midwestern State. Cards love taking small-school prospects with this pick and draft depth at offensive guard when they can’t find a good fit at offensive tackle.
4 (112) – Mitchell Schwartz, OT, Cal. Stocky offensive tackle prospect probably has an NFL future on the right side.
5 (143) – Levy Adcock, OT, Oklahoma State. Massive and experienced Adcock was not a Combine invitee, and the Cards will make sure that he carries that chip on his shoulder into training camp and the preseason.
6A (166) – Jerry Franklin, LB, Arkansas. Fans are upset that Emmanuel Acho is still on the board when this pick is made, but Franklin is a superior prospect for the SILB position.
6B (174) – Tyrone Crawford, DE, Boise State. Cards have an option for Brandon Taylor (S, LSU) at this point, but look to bolster depth and youth on their defensive line with Crawford, who can put on a little weight and rotate with Dockett and Campbell, and contribute immediately in the nickel pass rush.
7 (204) – Matt Conrath, DE, Virginia. More depth on the defensive line and a more traditional 3-4 DE at 6’7”, 281 lbs.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
10. BUF – Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa. It’s not going to be a pick that gets the fans fired up, but it will help get the team better.
11. KC – David DeCastro, OG, Stanford. Offensive line means everything for a team that historically has had some of the best but currently is talent-poor.
12. SEA – Courtney Upshaw, LB, Alabama. Upshaw is a perfect fit for Seattle hybrid defensive fronts.
13. ARI – Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame. A pick to get the fans fired up. The Cards will likely receive calls from teams wanting to move up for RB Trent Richardson or DE Nick Perry, and would probably take one of those calls, but they’d only manage to add a 3rd round pick.

Reiff, DeCastro, and Upshaw all gone with the three picks right before the Cardinals selection. That would be like three daggers in the heart. So close but yet so far!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pre-free agency roster movement:
Cut OT Levi Brown – Results in $18.225 million in salary cap savings (!)

OT: Dennis Roland (CIN), Ryan O’Callahan (KC), Stacey Andrews (NYG), Artis Hicks (CLE), Kirk Chambers (HOU), Anthony Collins (CIN), Max Starks (PIT) – Probably choose two from this liast. Roland has good size and has started 27 games over the last three seasons. Andrews, Hicks, and Starks are veterans nearing the ends of their careers. You should be able to get any two of them for three years, $9 million, $4 million guaranteed.

I assume you believe that Brown will be too expensive for us to go after?

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I assume you believe that Brown will be too expensive for us to go after?

Not exactly. I really have no idea what the market for an OT is going to look like here. But even if he's going to sign for $6 million a year, I don't think he could/would do that here, when he's slated to make $18 million this year alone.

He'd take an equivalent deal elsewhere than to come back here and make so much less money. I think if the price gets up to $7 or $8 million per year, the Cards would be out of the running, anyway.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
MOCK DRAFT:

1. IND – Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford. Easiest selection in the draft.
2. STL – Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor. The Rams won’t take him, but someone will at this place.
3. MIN – Matt Kalil, OT, Southern Cal. Second-easiest selection to project. They have to protect Christian Ponder if he’s going to become the player they want him to be.
4. CLE – Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State. I don’t think they’ll trade up to get RGIII because I think they’re going to sign Matt Flynn as a free agent. So they’re going to give Flynn some weapons.
5. TB – Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU. The Bucs need help at WR and I wouldn’t be surprised to see them trade out of here if they can get additional picks, but they need to build that awful defense.
6. WAS – Michael Brockers, DT, LSU. I expect that St. Louis will be drafting in this spot, and Jeff Fisher knows that you build a defense from the inside out.
7. JAC – Quinton Couples, DE, North Carolina. The Jaguars need to deep drafting defensive ends until they do it right.
8. MIA – Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M. They feel comfortable making this move after signing Peyton Manning to be the immediate future (or signing Jason Campbell to give the fan base some hope). They’d prefer to take Couples to ease their transition to the 4-3 defense.
9. CAR – Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama. They’d prefer to build the interior of their defense, and they’d be happy to trade out of this pick to get more cheap talent later in the draft.

3 (81) – Amini Silatolu, OG, Midwestern State. Cards love taking small-school prospects with this pick and draft depth at offensive guard when they can’t find a good fit at offensive tackle.
4 (112) – Mitchell Schwartz, OT, Cal. Stocky offensive tackle prospect probably has an NFL future on the right side.
5 (143) – Levy Adcock, OT, Oklahoma State. Massive and experienced Adcock was not a Combine invitee, and the Cards will make sure that he carries that chip on his shoulder into training camp and the preseason.
6A (166) – Jerry Franklin, LB, Arkansas. Fans are upset that Emmanuel Acho is still on the board when this pick is made, but Franklin is a superior prospect for the SILB position.
6B (174) – Tyrone Crawford, DE, Boise State. Cards have an option for Brandon Taylor (S, LSU) at this point, but look to bolster depth and youth on their defensive line with Crawford, who can put on a little weight and rotate with Dockett and Campbell, and contribute immediately in the nickel pass rush.
7 (204) – Matt Conrath, DE, Virginia. More depth on the defensive line and a more traditional 3-4 DE at 6’7”, 281 lbs.

I'm really not a Floyd fan, but that is beside the point. Picks 3-5 are perfect in my opinion. I could see all 3 being long time contributors and Silatolu is for real. He will be the 2nd best OG in this class (multi Pro Bowler if a team that pulls takes him).

My perfect draft would switch Floyd for Melvin Ingram, and then I'm fine with the rest of your picks. Awesome.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Reiff, DeCastro, and Upshaw all gone with the three picks right before the Cardinals selection. That would be like three daggers in the heart. So close but yet so far!

Thankfully if you are me, you are delighted that Reiff and Upshaw are off the board because I think Reiff is terrible and Upshaw is a 4-3 DE.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I guess I wasn't crazy afterall.

I agree that Marcus Trufant may be the guy to replace Marshall if we can't bring him back.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Based in Combine / Pro days doubt that either Dre Kirkpatrick or Courtney Upshaw are in the top 12. Doubt that Tyrone Crawford makes it to the 6th round. Depending on FA, not oppossed to your pick at #13.

BIM: Coples

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved Trufant and wanted the Cardinals to draft him.

However he is getting old and has lost a step. My guess is some team is going to overpay him and I hope it isn't the Cardinals.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

That extra 3rd rounder would net you Schwartz. Where if you wait this long, mtl not.

There are a few good players who can be had with a mid 3rd. Schwartz, N. Bradham, Massie, J. Adams.....all to move down a few spaces and still land an extremly good 1st rounder (Wright, Floyd, Perry, Ingram, Glenn, Barron,Keuchly...to name a few).

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Jerry Franklin, LB, Arkansas. Fans are upset that Emmanuel Acho is still on the board when this pick is made, but Franklin is a superior prospect for the SILB position.

I wouldn't be one of them. After watching the SR Bowl and his limited combine workouts and some UT game tape I don't think Emmanuel is near the talent Sam is and will struggle to be a good SILB in the NFL.

Just for fun: Found this report from last year-

I know he's a highly rated prospect, but I just think he's very "blah" as a pass rusher and isn't a guy who I would want setting the edge for me in the run game. Looks more like a reserve defensive lineman to me at this stage."

National Football Posts' Wes Bunting on Sam Acho.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Cardinals need to add another RB. Any thoughts on that?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With Williams coming back and Smith around as a camp body I think they are fine.

I do worry about the Cardinals being forced into using a back like Chester Taylor again if Wells and Williams cannot stay healthy. The Cardinals look fine on paper but injuries have a way of happening. I'm not comfortable using LSH on too many downs and Smith does not look like a third RB that I would count on.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I do worry about the Cardinals being forced into using a back like Chester Taylor again if Wells and Williams cannot stay healthy. The Cardinals look fine on paper but injuries have a way of happening. I'm not comfortable using LSH on too many downs and Smith does not look like a third RB that I would count on.

Trent Richardson? It'll never hapen. Unless they get something from Cinncy for Beannie.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trent Richardson? It'll never hapen. Unless they get something from Cinncy for Beannie.

I wasn't pushing this but I do believe play makers win games. It would not upset me if the Cardinals went this direction.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I like this plan and draft.

After reading it, my first thought was, "Why in the world did we sign Chansi Stuckey?"

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson