Josiah Turner decommits from ASU

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Camps were June 7th through 14th. The quote above says Turner had planned on attending Self’s Elite Camp this summer, but was unable to make it.

Sorry didn't see that. I know for a fact Turner has been interested in Kansas for awhile now. the claim is he actually decommitted in May for 2 days then called ASU and said I changed my mind I want to say verballed. It was during that 2 days that he agreed to attend KU's camp so maybe he cancelled because he recommitted at that time to ASU?

Very good player, needs to get stronger and develop his shot but he's pretty fun to watch on the break, always seems to make the right read and pass.

Hopefully he'll stay in the Pac 10. :D

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I don't think you ever give up on a kid like Turner until he says no thankyou. Look at Bayless and UA a few years ago, he reneged, UA fans were convinced he was gone, and he wound up at UA.

You can't put all your eggs in one basket of course but until a kid says I'm not considering you, I don't think you quit on him when he's that good. Turner is REALLY good.
I disagree here especially when you consider ASU's roster. They haven't brought in a PG since Jamelle McMIllan (and he's not even a prototypical point) and don't have one currently lined up in 2010 as they didn't want to cause problems with the wavering Turner. So assuming they wait out Turner in 2011, if he ends up elsewhere ASU is essentially screwed trying to find a kid that can start at PG as a freshman very late in the recruiting process. I'd look for Sendek to add some 2010 PG's to his recruiting wish list.

And Bayless was somewhat of an anomaly, how many other kids have backed out and then re-committed to the same school? And Bayless backed out because he correctly figured Lute would be there which unless Turner knows something we don't should not be an issue with Sendek. Bayless also never truly "opened it up" either, he was either going to Arizona or Texas his last few years of high school and never really considered anywhere else.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree here especially when you consider ASU's roster. They haven't brought in a PG since Jamelle McMIllan (and he's not even a prototypical point) and don't have one currently lined up in 2010 as they didn't want to cause problems with the wavering Turner. So assuming they wait out Turner in 2011, if he ends up elsewhere ASU is essentially screwed trying to find a kid that can start at PG as a freshman very late in the recruiting process. I'd look for Sendek to add some 2010 PG's to his recruiting wish list.

That's my thinking. Not every kid is going to bleed school colors for you before he gets on campus, but ASU isn't in any position to be taking big risks at the position. There's still a big question mark if McMillan is going to be a starting PG. For such a smart player his performance hasn't inspired confidence.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
That's my thinking. Not every kid is going to bleed school colors for you before he gets on campus, but ASU isn't in any position to be taking big risks at the position. There's still a big question mark if McMillan is going to be a starting PG. For such a smart player his performance hasn't inspired confidence.

I've heard nothing to suggest this but it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to suggest Hersey Hawkins' kid looks at other options at this point either. He's a decent prospect but with four scholi's open and ASU now probably requiring at least one big and one point in 2010 there's much better wing options that Sendek can realistically land. One would assume getting two wing players in 2010 with the current roster would be overkill.

I think Phil Pressey is a player that ASU can get involved with that's a very good PG prospect in 2010. He's very talented but is short, very similar to a skinnier Khalid El-Amin so he'll have to stay in college for four years.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And Bayless was somewhat of an anomaly, how many other kids have backed out and then re-committed to the same school? And Bayless backed out because he correctly figured Lute would be there which unless Turner knows something we don't should not be an issue with Sendek. Bayless also never truly "opened it up" either, he was either going to Arizona or Texas his last few years of high school and never really considered anywhere else.

Sorry I just meant in that class. In this day and age I think you should almost recruit a PG every year, you just never know.

I'm not saying don't recruit anybody else, wait on Turner, I'm just saying don't close the door on him. He's good enough there aren't many PG's who are going to scare him off.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
In the college game you win games by having a taltented backcout.

The best coaches/teams always have a solid PG. If I were a coach I recruit a point guard each year. Obviously the type of player you recruit depends on how well you sell your system and playing time.

This is something Calipari is second to none at and the reason why he lands these amazingly talented PGs every year and will continue to do so.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score

The best coaches/teams always have a solid PG. If I were a coach I recruit a point guard each year. Obviously the type of player you recruit depends on how well you sell your system and playing time.

This is something Calipari is second to none at and the reason why he lands these amazingly talented PGs every year and will continue to do so.
Calipari lands highly-touted PG's because for one he is an amazing recruiter with great connections namely William Wesley. And the other is that the dribble-drive motion offense is the perfect system to showcase a point's abilities.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well that and WorldWide Wes. Some PG named Selby just decommitted from Tennessee and now has UK at the top of his list, along with Oregon. What does UK and Oregon have in common? Calipari and Kenny Payne of Oregon are both tight with WWW. What does Wes have to do with Selby? His mom admits they met Wes recently and spoke to him at the LeBron skills camp, it was after that camp rumors swirled Selby was decommitting.

Wes is the new Bret Bearup, Bearup steered players for Florida and Missouri for years and now Wes steers them to Calipari and Oregon.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Just an update - Nick Johnson is transferring to Findlay up in Vegas and UCLA has entered the picture. ASU still has a good shot though. Josiah Turner supposedly no longer has any interest in ASU and has turned his attention to UCLA, Arizona, and Cal.

And to make ASU fan feel better - supposedly Kyryl Natyazhko has not looked very good thus far. Has a lot of upside but needs a lot of coaching, maybe starts by Pac-10 season best case scenario.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just an update - Nick Johnson is transferring to Findlay up in Vegas and UCLA has entered the picture. ASU still has a good shot though. Josiah Turner supposedly no longer has any interest in ASU and has turned his attention to UCLA, Arizona, and Cal.

And to make ASU fan feel better - supposedly Kyryl Natyazhko has not looked very good thus far. Has a lot of upside but needs a lot of coaching, maybe starts by Pac-10 season best case scenario.

I think UCLA has liked Johnson for awhile, but Findlay concerns me they have a rep of taking kids with bad grades and getting them qualified but UCLA typically doesn't take kids with that sort of academics. I don't know a thing about Johnson's academics maybe he just wants the competition at Findlay but several kids recently have used Findlay to get better grades so I tend to be suspicious of any kid that transfers there from out of state.

I also hear Turner is high on Cal, they may actually be the favorite right now. UCLA likes him but they also like Dinwiddie, and if they can get McCallum in the class before they won't get Turner.

I just got back from Mexico to find out Kendall Williams reopened his recruitment and I hear UCLA isn't a factor now. I'm not too happy with that I think some people meddled in that and almost forced the kid to decommit and I don't mean people on his side.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Turner to visit Late Night

Big news for KU:

Josiah Turner, the No. 55-rated player in the basketball recruiting Class of 2011 tells Rivals.com he will be making an unofficial visit to Kansas University for the Oct. 16 Late Night in the Phog. Turner, a 6-foot-3 junior shooting guard from Sacramento (Calif.) High School withdrew a commitment to Arizona State in July. He does not yet have a new list of schools.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big news for KU:

Why can't Kansas get guards without always raiding Cali ? :D

From what I hear Turner's list is loaded, no particular order, Kansas, UCONN, Texas, Syracuse, UNC, UCLA, UA, also don't sell short Cal I hear Turner and his family really like Monty and are very interested in Cal which is the most local team on his list.

Still waiting to hear if he's transferring or not, school will start up again pretty soon, depending on where you attend in Sacramento they have different schedules some start in the next week or so. He's been rumored to be leaving Sac High for Pleasant Grove, my girlfriend's oldest niece will be a freshman there this year I think she said she starts school in 2 weeks, so we'll know fairly soon if Turner is really transferring there.

If he stays at Sac High the 3 highest profile recruits in sacramento will all be at the same school, Turner, Darius (brother of Demarcus) Nelson, and Ramon Eaton. They'd be a prohibitive favorite to be in the State finals this year.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I imagine recruits like that never look good coming in. He's all elbows and knee caps. It's two years down the road when he's comfortable hitting those 18 footers from the top of the key that you're happy to have him on the floor.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've not been there since the Paul Pierce, Jacque Vaughn days. That's a lifetime ago ;)

Just seems like you had a run of Vaughn, Pierce, Adonis Jordan, then transfers Jerod Hasse and Rex walters, and if he hadn't jumped straight to the NBA Kansas had DeShawn Stevenson too(Roy called him the best guard he'd ever recruited IIRC).

But it is true there's been a dry spell of late, and I'm hoping it continues!.

:D

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I imagine recruits like that never look good coming in. He's all elbows and knee caps. It's two years down the road when he's comfortable hitting those 18 footers from the top of the key that you're happy to have him on the floor.
Just brought it up because many ASU and Arizona fans assumed he would be able to step in and contribute impact minutes right away which probably is not the case.

As far as Turner goes - the involvement of Adidas schools should not surprise anybody.