Jazz @ Suns 11-1-13

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This. I think too many people here are living in the past when only the top 10-15 players got the max. That's not the case any longer.

Even 3rd options are gonna start commanding max or very close to it soon.

OK. The next question is how is Bledsoe going to contribute if he's not on the ball as the primary offensive option most of the time? That's his entire game!

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
OK. The next question is how is Bledsoe going to contribute if he's not on the ball as the primary offensive option most of the time? That's his entire game!

You're talking to the same guy who wanted to give Eric Gordon a max deal.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You're talking to the same guy who wanted to give Eric Gordon a max deal.

Bledsoe is probably more worthy of a max contract than Gordon just bc of the health issue. I think there are too many factors right now.

1. They could draft a franchise 2 in next years draft. If that is the case it's probably better to have Goran than Bled.
2. Bledsoe could have some sort of injury this year.

And so many other things.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This. I think too many people here are living in the past when only the top 10-15 players got the max. That's not the case any longer.

Even 3rd options are gonna start commanding max or very close to it soon.

I actually think its swung more the other way. About 5-10 years ago the league had triple the amount of insane contracts compared to now. You had guys like Marbury, Vin Baker, Jamison, Antione Walker, not just getting max contracts but 7 year deals. I think teams have gotten a lot smarter and with the brutal repeat offender fees in the new luxury tax teams will be extremely weary to carry 3 or 4 long, large contracts.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I actually think its swung more the other way. About 5-10 years ago the league had triple the amount of insane contracts compared to now. You had guys like Marbury, Vin Baker, Jamison, Antione Walker, not just getting max contracts but 7 year deals. I think teams have gotten a lot smarter and with the brutal repeat offender fees in the new luxury tax teams will be extremely weary to carry 3 or 4 long, large contracts.

Yes. Wow. And I had you on ignore there for a while. Okc and Harden is a perfect example.

Last edited:

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No, your misunderstanding me. I meant strictly in terms of what the max is now compared to what the max used to be. Giving a max under the new CBA isn't the same as the max you are talking about that was given to the mentioned players.

"Max" contract has different meanings now.

Eric Gordon and Kobe Bryant are both making max contracts. But that doesn't mean that they are both making the same $$.

Last edited:

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yes. Wow. And I had you on ignore there for a while. Okc and Harden is a perfect example.
Many speculate that if LAL, NY or Brooklyn were in the same situation as OKC, they would have given the max and lived with the luxury tax penatlies. Given the revenue they would have made from sales, the penalty apparently would have been very minimal.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No, your misunderstanding me. I meant strictly in terms of what the max is now compared to what the max used to be. Giving a max under the new CBA isn't the same as the max you are talking about that was given to the mentioned players.

"Max" contract has different meanings now.

Eric Gordon and Kobe Bryant are both making max contracts. But that doesn't mean that they are both making the same $$.

I realize that, but you still are unlikely to see teams with 3+ overlapping "max" contracts of any scale. There will be a few exceptions by virtue of having an insanely rich and possibly insane owner, like Brooklyn for example, but for the most part you not going to see 2nd and 3rd tier "stars" getting max deals.

We've already seen the trend developing as dudes like Ty Lawson, Rondo and Curry didnt even get the smaller post rookie contract max. Josh Smith didnt get a max deal this summer. Yeah, his contract is big but its not the max... and 5-10 years ago a player like Smith would have gotten an absolutely insane contract. Hell, back in 2002 or 03 you probably would have seen Brandon Jennings and Monta Ellis get 70+ million dollar deals.

Seriously, look up what dudes like Shariff Abdul-Rahim, Antonio Davis, Terrell Brandon, Vin Baker, Nick Van Exel, Tim Thomas, Brian Grant used to get paid. It was absolutely insane. You wont see many of those middling "stars" get big contracts any more... and the rare times it does happen the teams will sorely regret it.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I realize that, but you still are unlikely to see teams with 3+ overlapping "max" contracts of any scale. There will be a few exceptions by virtue of having an insanely rich and possibly insane owner, like Brooklyn for example, but for the most part you not going to see 2nd and 3rd tier "stars" getting max deals.

We've already seen the trend developing as dudes like Ty Lawson, Rondo and Curry didnt even get the smaller post rookie contract max. Josh Smith didnt get a max deal this summer. Yeah, his contract is big but its not the max... and 5-10 years ago a player like Smith would have gotten an absolutely insane contract. Hell, back in 2002 or 03 you probably would have seen Brandon Jennings and Monta Ellis get 70+ million dollar deals.

Seriously, look up what dudes like Shariff Abdul-Rahim, Antonio Davis, Terrell Brandon, Vin Baker, Nick Van Exel, Tim Thomas, Brian Grant used to get paid. It was absolutely insane. You wont see many of those middling "stars" get big contracts any more... and the rare times it does happen the teams will sorely regret it.

Yes. The owners have really added teeth with the luxury tax and times have gotten tighter. Even Miami cleared out their entire roster to add three max deals, but then could only do basically minimum deals.

This is going to be especially true of "stacked" positions in the nba. You won't see pg's and wings getting max deals unless they are really top tier. The exceptions will be bigs--centers and f/c combos.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Many speculate that if LAL, NY or Brooklyn were in the same situation as OKC, they would have given the max and lived with the luxury tax penatlies. Given the revenue they would have made from sales, the penalty apparently would have been very minimal.

That's true, but even they are only going to spend max money on the best possible players.

In the past, the teams that overpaid for second tier players were typically mid-level teams with bad reputations that had to overpay to get FA's to come (Atlanta especially). Even then, teams overpaid for their OWN free agents most often, out of loyalty to the player, fan loyalty, etc.

The exception was the Knicks under horrible management. The Bulls, Lakers etc have never really overpaid. Brooklyn might, but why would they go after Bledsoe with all the players they have on that roster now?

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard