Suns @ Rockets game thread 1-28-18

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The supporting cast has been absolutely dismal.

Booker and Warren got 55 points on 57% shooting despite being the focus of the defense.

The rest of the team combined: 47 points on 31% shooting.

Booker also had 10 of our 16 assists despite the disadvantage of being the only guy on the team that doesn't get to pass to Devin Booker.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Jackson now 0-11 from the field.

It is a bad game, but so far this season I have been happy with the pick. The problem does come in that he plays the same position as our two best players SF and SG

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean that's not really true. Jackson was the right pick and nearly everyone wanted him but he's just bad.

I wanted Chriss and was jumping up and down when we drafted him and his first year he was spectacular and showed flashes all the time but he's taken a huge step back. It's not his talent it's his attitude that's the problem

I was happy with Jackson and Chriss when they were picked but they are just bad

However, what were these players really good at when drafted... skill wise. Drafting on potential has it's downside.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this team sucks royally by the end of the season, can everyone be in agreement that it’s time for a new GM to decide our fate, especially with a likely very high pick in a STACKED draft and another Head Coach decision to be made.

You don’t get to pick two head coaches, draft in the lottery for what... six straight years, whiffed in every FA period while getting molested in most trades and keep your job.

Not to mention making the Suns FO look REALLY bad by airing dirty laubdry repeatedly.

Is there anyone who can argue why McD should get to pick a third head coach and make a huge pick in the offseason?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The supporting cast has been absolutely dismal.

Booker and Warren got 55 points on 57% shooting despite being the focus of the defense.

The rest of the team combined: 47 points on 31% shooting.

Booker also had 10 of our 16 assists despite the disadvantage of being the only guy on the team that doesn't get to pass to Devin Booker.
Canaan was our one and only "+" this game.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Just think after this summer we should never have this discussion again for a long, long time.

Only a few months to go.
If we don’t blow it and play ourselves outta a much needed difference maker, or the lottery screws us again (likely), or we don’t make the worst selection of the top rated players, I completely agree with you.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we don’t blow it and play ourselves outta a much needed difference maker, or the lottery screws us again (likely), or we don’t make the worst selection of the top rated players, I completely agree with you.

We just need to make it to the summer.

If the Suns made a move to improve their team short term only, I would be upset.

As I have said for awhile, I consider Ulis as lottery insurance. Booker playing PG is probably better in terms of the lottery but I think it is a bad idea.

This season is toast. We all need to bond. The Suns are bad. :cool:

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this team sucks royally by the end of the season, can everyone be in agreement that it’s time for a new GM to decide our fate, especially with a likely very high pick in a STACKED draft and another Head Coach decision to be made.

You don’t get to pick two head coaches, draft in the lottery for what... six straight years, whiffed in every FA period while getting molested in most trades and keep your job.

Not to mention making the Suns FO look REALLY bad by airing dirty laubdry repeatedly.

Is there anyone who can argue why McD should get to pick a third head coach and make a huge pick in the offseason?

I'm starting to question McDonough already and I have given him a free pass based upon a learning curve.

This upcoming draft is crucial. I think the Suns should reevaluate their scouting.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to question McDonough already and I have given him a free pass based upon a learning curve.

This upcoming draft is crucial. I think the Suns should reevaluate their scouting.

He doesn't deserve another draft. Five years, three coaches, one GREAT pick, one solid pick, too many questionable picks and trades, 0 FA difference makers even when flush with cap space... 0 playoff appearances, with the team seemingly trending down EVERY YEAR.

That's his resume. It sucks. Bring in a new GM, along with a new scouting team and new Head Coach. It's simple. If the team gave a damn about winning, it would realize the McD era was a colossal failure and we need to start over.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He doesn't deserve another draft. Five years, three coaches, one GREAT pick, one solid pick, too many questionable picks and trades, 0 FA difference makers even when flush with cap space... 0 playoff appearances, with the team seemingly trending down EVERY YEAR.

That's his resume. It sucks. Bring in a new GM, along with a new scouting team and new Head Coach. It's simple. If the team gave a damn about winning, it would realize the McD era was a colossal failure and we need to start over.

I think it's time to start looking at McDonough to produce now. Sarver will likely give him a pass through this summer but I'm not sure it is a wise move. The Suns have all these assets to use. Using them incorrectly would doom the franchise.

Hopefully McDonough has learned. The Suns might have been able to get a better trade for Bledsoe but I think it was the right move to trade him.

The GM has to be smarter than the fans.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's time to start looking at McDonough to produce now. Sarver will likely give him a pass through this summer but I'm not sure it is a wise move. The Suns have all these assets to use. Using them incorrectly would doom this franchise.

Hopefully McDonough has learned. The Suns might have been able to get a better trade for Bledsoe but I think it was the right move.

The GM has to be smarter than the fans.

I think it’s idiotic to let McD pick a THIRD coach and make the pick that will determine the future of the franchise.

He’s failed with two completely different coaching staffs, with all lotto picks and cap room to improve. The Suns shouldn’t be a 3rd time’s the charm franchise unless they’re content being a joke in the league.

Too much on the line this summer to let a complete failure chart our course for the next three to five years.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I need to watch Warren's defense closer in the new few games. I thought he did an amazing job defensively tonight, especially when matched up against Paul. He also did a nice job when he ended up on Nene in the low post.

Bender and Chriss... I don't even know what to say. I know they are both youngsters, but I really wish they would show up a little bit more. If I were Triano, I'd tell bender I want him to take ten shots every game. If he doesn't, he will spend the next game on the bench. He can play if he gets ten rebounds, though. As for Chriss, I don't even know what I would do.

I really like Cannan. I hope the Suns keep him as a backup PG.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it’s idiotic to let McD pick a THIRD coach and make the pick that will determine the future of the franchise.

He’s failed with two completely different coaching staffs, with all lotto picks and cap room to improve. The Suns shouldn’t be a 3rd time’s the charm franchise unless they’re content being a joke in the league.

Too much on the line this summer to let a complete failure chart our course for the next three to five years.

Certainly cannot argue the point. I just think it is not going to happen. Definitely would support a change if someone better were to be brought onboard.

However, like Kerr, I think McDonough will be good later on.

I'd like to know the scout that identified Dragic. The Suns miss scouts like Dick Percudani.

Sarver needs to pay the money for a real head coach. He could give advice to McDonough. Hope it happens before the draft.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Certainly cannot argue the point. I just think it is not going to happen. Definitely would support a change if someone better were to be brought onboard.

However, like Kerr, I think McDonough will be good later on.

I'd like to know the scout that identified Dragic. The Suns miss scouts like Dick Percudani.

Sarver needs to pay the money for a real head coach. He could give advice to McDonough. Hope it happens before the draft.

Kerr got the Suns to the WCF in his second year after a rocky first year... before quitting. Don’t really see the comparison.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kerr got the Suns to the WCF in his second year after a rock first year... before quitting. Don’t really see the comparison.

Kerr did the Kurt Thomas trade and the Suns had talent not to mention a decent head coach in D'Antoni or was that Gentry.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kerr did the Kurt Thomas trade and the Suns had talent not to mention a decent head coach in D'Antoni or was that Gentry.

Kerr completely rebuilt THE ENTIRE team around Amare and Nash. Literally, the entire team bringing in JRich, Dudley, Lopez, Dragic, Frye... even Lou Freaking Admundson who contributed. Then was smart enough to get rid of his mistake with Porter and bring on Gentry putting all the pieces together to take the team from out of the playoffs to FINALLY being able to SWEEP the Spurs and put up a hell of a fight against the Lakers in the WCF in one year.

That’s what happened his second year. Again, McD has done nothing to show he merits comparisons to Kerr, who recognized mistake, swiftly made up for them and had us go from in the late lottery to challenging for a title in one year.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Buddy Heild, Sabonis and Lauri would look really good on this team instead of Bender, Chriss and Jackson ugh.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard