Isaiah Thomas To Suns

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was wrong there, but I gotta think Bron taking the Max, Bosh staying on a horrible team taking the Max, Melo staying on the Knicks taking the Max should quell any fears that players will ever take super pay cuts to create a Team USA. reality in the NBA is money talks.

I agree. This free agency period has lowered my fear for that happening dramatically. It's good to see money still does the talking. I mean afterall, these guys have families to feed!

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe Goran will be part of a trade to the Wolves for Love.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
So Bledsoe, Dragic, Isaiah Thomas, Tyler Ennis and Ish (he's still on the team, right?). Surely there's another shoe about to drop...

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So Bledsoe, Dragic, Isaiah Thomas, Tyler Ennis and Ish (he's still on the team, right?). Surely there's another shoe about to drop...

I think the Spurs were playing with 4 guards and 1 Duncan during some stretches, snatching the crown off the king's head while doing it. But I doubt we will have all 4 when it is all said and done, so yeah.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Suns have a team option on Ish Smith so they can just pick up that option and let him go unless he is included in another trade. Maybe something happens with Ennis unless Bledsoe wants to go elsewhere.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We speculated that they would be players at last season's trade deadline. They weren't.

We speculated that they'd figure out something interesting to do with their three first-round picks. They didn't. The Warren pick looks fine, but they could have done that with one pick, not three. After Warren, they drafted a PG when they are already starting two, and a Euro who isn't coming over anytime soon.

We speculated that they would be major players in free agency, given their "young" core and loads of cap room. Instead they have failed to land anyone who is of starting caliber.

We? I didn't do any of those things. There wasn't anyone I wanted that was rumored available last trade deadline. I never have expectations with the draft, and the only person I hoped the Suns would get was Lebron and that was a pipe dream. That said, so what that some on a message board set high expectations. That doesn't equate to the front office whiffing. Right? I figue this to take 2 or 3 years at least to build and they've already turned a miserable outlook to a promising one in 1 year.

It's not the individual moves so much as the quagmire of mediocrity. All of this talk of "assets" rings hollow when it comes time to show how much those assets are really worth. They missed their big chance in the draft, it looks like they missed their big chance in free agency, and I don't have nearly as much faith in the value of their trade pieces as most of this board does.

I see a roster whose likely ceiling, no matter how much more the individual players develop, is a mid-playoff seed. Of course building a title contender isn't easy, and no, I wouldn't have a plan for how to do it myself. All I can say is, I know it when I see it, and this isn't it. Not even close.

Well, I disagree. I see them getting good young players on reasonable deals and getting as many 1st round draft picks as they can. That a superstar has yet to be available is not something you can time. Yes, Love appears available, but compared to what others are willing to give up (which is more than I would give for him) we likely aren't in play there. But, that is one and I wouldn't label it a whiff. This is going to take time. I know we as fans want win win win now, but unless we get absolutely lucky it's going to take time to build. Be patient, or at least hold off on failure labels for a while to give them a chance to work. I just think you're being very short sighted on this. No offense.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I think the Spurs were playing with 4 guards and 1 Duncan during some stretches, snatching the crown off the king's head while doing it. But I doubt we will have all 4 when it is all said and done, so yeah.

You could put 4 monkeys on the floor with Duncan and win. What's your point?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I was wrong there, but I gotta think Bron taking the Max, Bosh staying on a horrible team taking the Max, Melo staying on the Knicks taking the Max should quell any fears that players will ever take super pay cuts to create a Team USA. reality in the NBA is money talks.

Are the Bosh and Melo deals done?? I thought Bosh going to Houston was the front-running rumor??

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Has Ennis been signed yet? He can't be traded for 30 days if he has... I can't find anything but isn't he playing on the summer league team?

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This exaggeration concerning PG's is both funny and a tad annoying. Ish is gone. Ennis is a rookie and will likely not see the floor this season. So we have 4 PG's, one of which plays most his time as a SG and one who won't play. I fail to see the problem?

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You could put 4 monkeys on the floor with Duncan and win. What's your point?
The game is changing back to a quick up and down style, the Heat got run on, and they couldn't keep up one lick. Are you saying if the teams swapped Duncan for Lebron than Duncan and the Heat would have beaten the Spurs? I think not my friend.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
This exaggeration concerning PG's is both funny and a tad annoying. Ish is gone. Ennis is a rookie and will likely not see the floor this season. So we have 4 PG's, one of which plays most his time as a SG and one who won't play. I fail to see the problem?

:stupid:

:D

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Two of the pg's are the starters. So it is more like having 3 pg's

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Two of the pg's are the starters. So it is more like having 3 pg's

Just because Dragic is labeled a PG by the fans does not change the fact that he spends most of his time playing SG for the Suns. I might add that he did pretty well in doing so too.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Paul Coro ‏@paulcoro 10m
The #Suns aren't signing Isaiah Thomas to deal Bledsoe or Ennis. Plan to use RFA rights on Bledsoe. Ennis, 19, can develop in Bakersfield.

HooverDam

Reaction score
We need Bledsoe and Thomas working on 3 point shooting every day with Horny. If they can both get to 38%+ it could create some really interesting things.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
and before someone asks:

Paul Coro ‏@paulcoro 4m
Dragic wasn't in the previous tweet because the post-Thomas ?s were about Bledsoe & Ennis. Dragic's situation in 2015 has to be in play too.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
The Suns' guard rotation is going to be ridiculous. The other teams aren't going to know what hit them. Balls out for 48 minutes a game.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Paul Coro ‏@paulcoro 10m
The #Suns aren't signing Isaiah Thomas to deal Bledsoe or Ennis. Plan to use RFA rights on Bledsoe. Ennis, 19, can develop in Bakersfield.
So does that leave the door open for a Dragic trade?

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
According to Berger, the Suns frontloaded Thomas' contract to start at $7.2 million a year, only about $1.9 million more than what the Kings have paid Darren Collison. It seems clear the Kings front office preferred Collison at that price than Thomas at this one.

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2014/7/11/5892229/isaiah-thomas-signed-and-traded-to-phoenix-suns

Frontloaded is nice... take advantage of our cap-space now & he gets slightly cheaper throughout the contract. No official breakdown yet, but it's probably something like 7.2, 6.8, 6.6, 6.4.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paul Coro ‏@paulcoro 10m

I like.

Never can have enough PGs. I especially like playing two PGs when opposing teams are totally committed to stopping one PG. I saw too much of this when Steve Nash played. Two ball handlers can drive opposing teams crazy when either guard can run the offense.