Isaiah Thomas To Suns

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Much lower salary than I expected. Good call KloD. Still unclear to me how Thomas fits in, and -- in the larger picture -- what this franchise's plan is. I keep hearing about "stockpiling assets," but whenever it comes time for the front office to start redeeming those assets, they whiff.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gambo can have Channing Frye, the Suns don't need him at the salary he just got.

Its just that the money is similar. Frye was 4/32. Thomas is 4/27. Complained that Thomas plays absolutely NO defense.

By the way, not just an offer sheet. Its a sign and trade so a done deal. Oriakhi was probably did not have a future here anyway.

Last edited:

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Gambo usually is full of crap, but he has a point... for basically the same amount of money, we could have Frye at a position of need VS having Thomas at a position that's overloaded.

There aren't many good PF options out there & the average/decent ones are getting overpaid like Frye & Jordan Hill.

I expect that this signing means another trade is coming or that Bledsoe is gone.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Gambo usually is full of crap, but he has a point... for basically the same amount of money, we could have Frye at a position of need VS having Thomas at a position that's overloaded.

There aren't many good PF options out there & the average/decent ones are getting overpaid like Frye & Jordan Hill.

I expect that this signing means another trade is coming or that Bledsoe is gone.

I just don't think we wanted Frye much anymore, the softness and streakyness isn't what our new young direction is all about. Isaiah is only 5"9, and could probably whoop Frye in a Fight Club movie, and than out score him.

FutureSuperstar

Veteran
Reaction score
Great deal. People need to judge this NOT by how the current roster is constructed, but on the deal itself and how Thomas will play with the Suns. He's 25, so the 4 yrs. will correlate w/ his prime ... Compared to other 25 yr. olds w/ worse stats (Parsons, Hayward) who got TWICE as much, this is a STEAL

I say don't judge the roster yet because it's like judging a painting when it's half-done ... The Suns will re-shape the roster when they need to and the finished product will probably result in another really good forward in exchange for a guard or two.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo can have Channing Frye, the Suns don't need him at the salary he just got.

Same here. What was so great about Channing Frye's game, with all due respect to Frye.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I was skeptical of bringing in Thomas but thats a bargain price. He's a good player, though an incomplete player, but for less than $7m/per, its a steal. He gives the Suns some insurance and all they gave up was a 2nd rounder.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What a stupid argument. Frye is 32 with a previous major health condition and Gambo is complaining about signing a 25 year old for much less than many thought he would get. What an idiot.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Much lower salary than I expected. Good call KloD. Still unclear to me how Thomas fits in, and -- in the larger picture -- what this franchise's plan is. I keep hearing about "stockpiling assets," but whenever it comes time for the front office to start redeeming those assets, they whiff.

Where did they whiff??? Please don't say Lebron. Nobody other than Miami or Cleveland had a chance. That had absolutely nothing to do with the Suns, their front office, or Sarver no matter how irrational some around here are in that regard.

What moves has this current front office made that you don't approve of?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns keep Bledsoe, there may be a trade offer out there for Tyler Ennis.

FutureSuperstar

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not saying Thomas has the potential to be a good defender, but it's possible he was just "terrible" defensively last year because the Kings told him to stay out of foul trouble and/or he had to do so much offensively he had to conserve energy on defense (He was BY FAR their best guard last year, so they needed him) - It's a similar argument for college guys, like Warren ...

Of course he'll never be a good defender and probably won't even be "average", but I think he could go to "terrible" to "below-average" which is a pretty big difference ...

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like the moves of resigning PJ Tucker and getting Isaiah Thomas. I'm sure that the Suns are not done. :thumbup:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
backup PG for 6 million? Okay. Not overly crazy about the move, but don't loathe it either. hopefully he's a Vinnie Johnson for us. If he ends up a starter, i hate the move because that means either Bledsoe or Dragic is gone.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
backup PG for 6 million? Okay. Not overly crazy about the move, but don't loathe it either. hopefully he's a Vinnie Johnson for us. If he ends up a starter, i hate the move because that means either Bledsoe or Dragic is gone.

We can trade Dragic, he always comes back.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Doesn't seem to fill the most glaring need but he is a quality player. This wasn't some last minute reaction thing. The Suns have wanted him for some time. The brain trust must believe that he fills an important role.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing I like about McDonough, in regard to restricted free agents, he does a sign and trade rather than flounder around for days waiting for the other team to match although in this case it seemed unlikely.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You were saying? :D

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Where did they whiff???

We speculated that they would be players at last season's trade deadline. They weren't.

We speculated that they'd figure out something interesting to do with their three first-round picks. They didn't. The Warren pick looks fine, but they could have done that with one pick, not three. After Warren, they drafted a PG when they are already starting two, and a Euro who isn't coming over anytime soon.

We speculated that they would be major players in free agency, given their "young" core and loads of cap room. Instead they have failed to land anyone who is of starting caliber.

What moves has this current front office made that you don't approve of?

It's not the individual moves so much as the quagmire of mediocrity. All of this talk of "assets" rings hollow when it comes time to show how much those assets are really worth. They missed their big chance in the draft, it looks like they missed their big chance in free agency, and I don't have nearly as much faith in the value of their trade pieces as most of this board does.

I see a roster whose likely ceiling, no matter how much more the individual players develop, is a mid-playoff seed. Of course building a title contender isn't easy, and no, I wouldn't have a plan for how to do it myself. All I can say is, I know it when I see it, and this isn't it. Not even close.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You were saying? :D

I was wrong there, but I gotta think Bron taking the Max, Bosh staying on a horrible team taking the Max, Melo staying on the Knicks taking the Max should quell any fears that players will ever take super pay cuts to create a Team USA. reality in the NBA is money talks.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
We speculated that they would be players at last season's trade deadline. They weren't.

We speculated that they'd figure out something interesting to do with their three first-round picks. They didn't. The Warren pick looks fine, but they could have done that with one pick, not three. After Warren, they drafted a PG when they are already starting two, and a Euro who isn't coming over anytime soon.

We speculated that they would be major players in free agency, given their "young" core and loads of cap room. Instead they have failed to land anyone who is of starting caliber.

It's not the individual moves so much as the quagmire of mediocrity. All of this talk of "assets" rings hollow when it comes time to show how much those assets are really worth. They missed their big chance in the draft, it looks like they missed their big chance in free agency, and I don't have nearly as much faith in the value of their trade pieces as most of this board does.

I see a roster whose likely ceiling, no matter how much more the individual players develop, is a mid-playoff seed. Of course building a title contender isn't easy, and no, I wouldn't have a plan for how to do it myself. All I can say is, I know it when I see it, and this isn't it. Not even close.

They won 23 more games this year than they did last.
Free agency and trade season started about 15 minutes ago.
Step back from the ledge dude!

Errntknght

Reaction score
Exactly. Channings worth was stretching the floor, thats it. He didnt play a lick of D either.

You're way off the mark on that... Channing couldn't handle big centers but against PFs he more than held his own on D this past year. Earlier in his career he was not so good but last year he was fine... well, except at rebounding.