Is the draft terrible for is if we don't get Zion? Morant might be just as good for us.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
True - but what does have to do with anything?

Yes, everyone getting a top 4 pick has to get lucky. The reason I bring it up is simply to say people should not expect a top 4 pick.
Ha I get what your saying, the phrase just has this sort of gloomy outlook to it and I just think it's funny because more than likely they will have a top 4 pick but ya you can never expect it

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Morant looks pretty freaking good, but yeah Zion is just amazing.

Anyone think Morant might be better than Young was last year?

It's hard to tell since Trae faced consistently tougher competition. But looking at stats, Morant comes out looking pretty good in comparison to Young including shooting. Granted, I'm looking at Ja as a soph compared to Young as a freshman but Ja was almost a year younger coming into college.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
this is a fair criticism.

He does turn it over a lot - but he does have a very high usage rate - but yes it is still way to high.

His shooting is not good - but it's not terrible either. I think in time he will be fine. I would say he is already a better shooter than Russel Westbrook - and he is doing quite well.

Really my biggest concern with him is his defense.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He does turn it over a lot - but he does have a very high usage rate - but yes it is still way to high.

His shooting is not good - but it's not terrible either. I think in time he will be fine. I would say he is already a better shooter than Russel Westbrook - and he is doing quite well.

Really my biggest concern with him is his defense.

yeah... more skilled passing Westbrook seems to be a good comp for him. Gotta become a better shooter from 3 for him to really be a superstar in the pros.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If they don't get the first pick of the draft and don't trade it, Morant should be their pick.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah he looked nasty today just spectacular

17 points 16 assist 11 rebounds

Sunstroke

Veteran
Reaction score
He is better than any guard on our roster at this very moment! If he's there and Xion is gone, you don't even hesitate. You take this kid. Jesus.. A kid this aggressive. creative, is going to suffer turnovers at the NCAA or the next level. The upside to his play making ability and creating wide open shots for his teammates is unparalleled. Morant is franchise changing talent, unlike last year's draft pick. Ayton has a had a decent rookie season but he's a project. Again, jmo.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is better than any guard on our roster at this very moment! If he's there and Xion is gone, you don't even hesitate. You take this kid. Jesus.. A kid this aggressive. creative, is going to suffer turnovers at the NCAA or the next level. The upside to his play making ability and creating wide open shots for his teammates is unparalleled. Morant is franchise changing talent, unlike last year's draft pick. Ayton has a had a decent rookie season but he's a project. Again, jmo.

I guess we have a far different opinion on what a "project" is. Bender was a project, same with Chriss. Ayton is a stud who has only touched on his potential but he's an NBA player right now. To me, projects don't earn playing time in their rookie season and they certainly don't earn a starting spot. We've been bad for awhile in large part because we've had to start projects, if they'd all been the player that Ayton is we wouldn't be on the cusp of drafting Zion.

Sunstroke

Veteran
Reaction score
I guess we have a far different opinion on what a "project" is. Bender was a project, same with Chriss. Ayton is a stud who has only touched on his potential but he's an NBA player right now. To me, projects don't earn playing time in their rookie season and they certainly don't earn a starting spot. We've been bad for awhile in large part because we've had to start projects, if they'd all been the player that Ayton is we wouldn't be on the cusp of drafting Zion.

Fair point, and 'project' might be the wrong word for Deandre but 'prodigy' sure doesn't describe Ayton either. Very inconsistent effort, drive, aggressive demeanor, heart, Whatever adjective you want to attribute to this kid's rookie season. Ayton showed promise definitely. I think Morant makes Ayton, Book, *plug in any forward,* better next season and increases the win total dramatically.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a reminder Murray State (12) plays against Florida State (4) state today (Saturday) at 3:10 p.m. Arizona time on TNT.

Any way the thread title could be condensed to something more simple like Ja Morant?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Cavs might not because of Sexton, I can see them easily go for rj

I don’t see why Sexton would have much influence on it. He’s more of a combo scorer. Looking at his shooting numbers he can play off the ball.

Now they might have Barrett higher...

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don’t see why Sexton would have much influence on it. He’s more of a combo scorer. Looking at his shooting numbers he can play off the ball.

Now they might have Barrett higher...

Barrett can be a really player.

If I'm the Cavs, I probably take Barrett. He adds playmaking ability too.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Murray State vs. Florida State is about to start for those who want to see Morant.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Morant with 9 points thus far, 3-3 from three point range.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard