Is the draft terrible for is if we don't get Zion? Morant might be just as good for us.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
They should have about $20M to work with before the first-round pick cap hold, so basically $10M or so, assuming the cap goes up to $109M. They can waive and stretch Johnson if push comes to shove.
These numbers are wrong.

Getting there would require renouncing oubre and moving the draft pick.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Right, but because we have Holmes' Bird Rights, he's the only one we can sign after we sign other players because with Holmes we can go over the cap.

It's a conversation, no need to be a complete jerk all the time.
You are misunderstanding this.

Holmes caphold is barely more than the empty roster spot charge so we can hold on to his bird rights even if we want to have capspace.

Getting capspace without rennouncing Oubres caphold is very hard on the other hand. We do have his rights however and will keep them as long as we don‘t rennounce them to clear the caphold which is about 10m.

We would btw also have to rennounce the MLE to create noteworthy capspace so stretching Johnson alone does not accomplish much because that alone makes almost mo difference.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
These numbers are wrong.

Getting there would require renouncing oubre and moving the draft pick.

No it wouldn't.
Booker: 27,250,000
Johnson: 19,245,370
Warren: 10,810,000
Ayton: 9,562,920
Jackson: 7,059,480
Bridges: 4,161,000
Melton: 1,416,852
Okobo: 1,416,852

That's $80,922,474M

Oubre's hold is 9,625,890, and Holmes' is 1,618,520.

That's 92,166,884. Cap is expected to be $109M. That's around $17M. Slightly less than $20M, but it's still a good chunk of change, even with a $9M pick hold.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm confused. I was under the impression that we had Bird Rights on Oubre but not for Holmes.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns have both, I think. Each of them played three full seasons with one team prior to being traded to the Suns.

Okay, I must be mixing things up on Holmes. Probably because he's unrestricted so we can't keep him by matching an outside offer.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Right, but because we have Holmes' Bird Rights, he's the only one we can sign after we sign other players because with Holmes we can go over the cap.
No it wouldn't.
Booker: 27,250,000
Johnson: 19,245,370
Warren: 10,810,000
Ayton: 9,562,920
Jackson: 7,059,480
Bridges: 4,161,000
Melton: 1,416,852
Okobo: 1,416,852

That's $80,922,474M

Oubre's hold is 9,625,890, and Holmes' is 1,618,520.

That's 92,166,884. Cap is expected to be $109M. That's around $17M. Slightly less than $20M, but it's still a good chunk of change, even with a $9M pick hold.
You forgot the draft pick cap hold.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We can release Jackson. If it allows us to get a good pg, its really the same as a trade. I thought we could use Oubre's cap hold, sign another player, and then sign Oubre for more if we want. This stuff is tricky though.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Go ahead BC. Tell us who you want and how you would get him.
Don't you guys get tired of posting that, JC?

It is so sad that the Suns are so devoid of leadership talent that your cure is having fans be the personnel experts.

I haven't spent hundreds of hours as an NBA "recruiter", nor do I have the authority to "get him".

Respond to my post . . . by responding to my post.

Do you think it would be wise to place our hopes in the hands of another 20-year old draftee next season to run the Point?

Or keep running Devin Booker into the ground and detracting from his skills at Shooting Guard?

I don't! I hope to see a role playing, veteran, mid-career, skilled NBA facilitator running the offense.

Do you condone the performance of the Suns this decade? Look at the results, man! The team owes the fans better than that.

And a Front Office capable of doing their job at a professional level.

Then JCSunsfan wouldn't be so desperate to expect his co-posters to be the NBA decision makers.

The Suns brass have a record of lazy and cheap management, which is why the Suns are in this dilemma.

I assume you want to see that change. Especially now that it has all been make public. And I am thrilled that it has all been made public.

How would I get him??? By following through and hiring a knowledgeable President of Basketball Operations, to hire a professional GM,
to hire a professional Head Coach who would, for the first time in ages, not be learning on the job. That is how this fan would get him.

Look at the varying opinions posted after your post (which I read after I responded to yours).

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don't you guys get tired of posting that, JC?

It is so sad that the Suns are so devoid of leadership talent that your cure is having fans be the personnel experts.

I haven't spent hundreds of hours as an NBA "recruiter", nor do I have the authority to "get him".

Respond to my post . . . by responding to my post.

Do you think it would be wise to place our hopes in the hands of another 20-year old draftee next season to run the Point?

Or keep running Devin Booker into the ground and detracting from his skills at Shooting Guard?

I don't! I hope to see a role playing, veteran, mid-career, skilled NBA facilitator running the offense.

Do you condone the performance of the Suns this decade? Look at the results, man! The team owes the fans better than that.

And a Front Office capable of doing their job at a professional level.

Then JCSunsfan wouldn't be so desperate to expect his co-posters to be the NBA decision makers.

The Suns brass have a record of lazy and cheap management, which is why the Suns are in this dilemma.

I assume you want to see that change. Especially now that it has all been make public. And I am thrilled that it has all been made public.

How would I get him??? By following through and hiring a knowledgeable President of Basketball Operations, to hire a professional GM,
to hire a professional Head Coach who would, for the first time in ages, not be learning on the job. That is how this fan would get him.

Look at the varying opinions posted after your post (which I read after I responded to yours).
BC. Just throw out an idea or two. Good grief. Never mind.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I did throw out ideas, JC. Professional management. Accountability. 'Sorry you don't accept that.

Go Suns!
BC. This is the normal question people ask on a message board when someone is screaming for a vet pg. We arent picking on you. It is just weird, when you scream for a vet pg and we say "who" and you say, "competent mgmt". I never heard of that guy.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You are misunderstanding this.

Holmes caphold is barely more than the empty roster spot charge so we can hold on to his bird rights even if we want to have capspace.

Getting capspace without rennouncing Oubres caphold is very hard on the other hand. We do have his rights however and will keep them as long as we don‘t rennounce them to clear the caphold which is about 10m.

We would btw also have to rennounce the MLE to create noteworthy capspace so stretching Johnson alone does not accomplish much because that alone makes almost mo difference.
Thanks.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
But you aren't throwing out ideas.

You basically bitch about the same two or three things no matter what anyone says. I'm starting to think BC is a bot.

Will you please listen to the Woj interview.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=26086788

Is he a bot because he didn't spell out specific player moves the Front Office should be making? Of course not!

He has reacted to their lack of professionalism to research, plan and make those moves. As have I.

It is neither his job, nor mine, nor yours to spend the on-the-job hours requires to accomplish player personnel research.

And your comment, "... no matter what anyone says"??? My posts are reactions to what posters say. Pro or con.

I don't start new threads to cover existing topics. Trying to make me or any other fan a scapegoat is not going to solve the Suns problems.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Back to the draft. Could Bol Bol be this year's Mitchell Robinson? He just fell off the radar after his injury, but the kid put up eye popping stats in 9 games.

Per 40 (he played 28 mpg so its not completely skewed) 28, 13, and 3.6 blocks. 52% from three. Three point shooting pf who is also a rim protector.

BTW. There were some on this board who suggested taking Doncic #1 and Robinson at #16. In retrospect that would have been a killer draft.

I still like Ayton though.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Back to the draft. Could Bol Bol be this year's Mitchell Robinson? He just fell off the radar after his injury, but the kid put up eye popping stats in 9 games.

Per 40 (he played 28 mpg so its not completely skewed) 28, 13, and 3.6 blocks. 52% from three. Three point shooting pf who is also a rim protector.

BTW. There were some on this board who suggested taking Doncic #1 and Robinson at #16. In retrospect that would have been a killer draft.

That comes out to 25/12/3 per 36 minutes. He is a legit outside shooter as well. With Ayton playing out on the perimeter a little more they might actually pair together pretty well. What pick range do you expect him to go in though? Assuming we are out of the range of both Zion and Morant and somewhere around 6 would it make sense to draft him there?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Will you please listen to the Woj interview.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=26086788

Is he a bot because he didn't spell out specific player moves the Front Office should be making? Of course not!

He has reacted to their lack of professionalism to research, plan and make those moves. As have I.

It is neither his job, nor mine, nor yours to spend the on-the-job hours requires to accomplish player personnel research.

And your comment, "... no matter what anyone says"??? My posts are reactions to what posters say. Pro or con.

I don't start new threads to cover existing topics. Trying to make me or any other fan a scapegoat is not going to solve the Suns problems.

So now you're on Woj's level as an analyst? You don't report news. You don't have inside information. To even make that comparison is so ridiculous that I can't believe you would make that connection rather than suggesting a free agency or trade target.

Woj's job is to report inside information that he gathers by speaking with GM's, players, and coaches around the NBA. Who do you talk to on that level?

All you do is repeat the same nonsense about how the Suns need to add a "mid-career Point Guard who can do A, B, and C" despite you not even being aware if there is a player like that that exists let alone is available. Not knowing if someone like that is even in the league allows you to be disappointed regardless of what happens. If you named a target then you might not be able to bash Sarver and company if that player was acquired and didn't work out. No one would blame you for it though and the reason for that is posters here don't blame other posters for how the Suns perform because that is ridiculous. I don't know why you go there when you're faced with a question you refuse to answer because it's as nonsensical a stance as possible.

To repeat, no one has made you a scapegoat, or any other Suns fan or poster.

All you seem to care about at this point is being able to complain about how Sarver runs the franchise and how no one stands up to him. You're less of a fan of the Suns and more of a voyeur hoping to see Sarver crash and burn. You don't care if the Suns win so long as Sarver looks like a fool.

Would you rather the Suns have a great season with Sarver as the owner or watch him own a team that sets a record for futility? If you respond to this at all I'm sure you'll sidestep that question. I would bet on you claiming the Suns will never be successful under Sarver's ownership but that isn't the question being asked.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Do you think there is any chance he falls to the 2nd round? I don't but I don't know what to make of him. I didn't think he was a top 5 pick either but that's where he was on most mocks before his injury.

How far do you think he'll fall, outside of the lottery, mid 1st, late 1st?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do you think there is any chance he falls to the 2nd round? I don't but I don't know what to make of him. I didn't think he was a top 5 pick either but that's where he was on most mocks before his injury.

How far do you think he'll fall, outside of the lottery, mid 1st, late 1st?
I think he is going to shoot up draft boards. He has spent this entire year working on his body and preparing for the draft. The kid has skills. He can handle the ball, he has a post up game, he can shoot from anywhere. At 7-3 he has a pretty good crossover. He is thicker than his father already. If that kid can add 15 pounds of muscle from injury date to draft, it would be huge. Better leg strength will help him land more softly and avoid future foot injuries.

Here is how I would draft.

1. Zion
2. Ja
3. Barrett. I just take him. He is the best player there. Figure it out later.
4. or 5. I think I take Bol and hang the projections. He is a 7-3 shot blocking three point shooting power forward. He can play along side Ayton. Just draft the freak.

Here is what we have seen in recent drafts. Skills matter. Skills plus another factor really matter. Skills plus athleticism, skills plus size. Bol can close out on blocks like very few players in the NBA. Players just stop trying to shoot within 10 feet of him. He is Gobert with skills. In fact, his measurements are very similar to Gobert at the same age.

Of course, its 1 am and long before the draft and I reserve the right to change my mind. Since I don't think we would get much in trade for any pick beyond three, I think you just swing for the fences and draft Bol.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort