Is the draft terrible for is if we don't get Zion? Morant might be just as good for us.

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I know a lot feel this is an all or nothing draft, but after seeing a few recent games of the Suns if they can get the right consistent attitude I think we might have the pieces to become good if we let our guys develop. If Ayton keeps improving and getting more aggressive, especially defensively I don't see how we won't improve.. I'd like to see Booker keep getting better on the defensive end too.. If Oubre remains steady and Josh Jackson keeps improving, I think we might end up having a decent core.. I would like them to look at a different coach though and get a "real" general manager..

Zion may be great or he may just have such raw talent that he can muscle his way to the basket.. He has the body development of an NBA player where as a lot of guys have to develop their body in the NBA... His ability to improve in that area at least in that area might be much lower than other players. With bigger and stronger guys in the NBA I'm not sure that will take him as far..

Morant, seeing a few games of his, looks like he could become something special in an area of need. I think he actually plays pretty good Defence as well... I would still pick Zion if I had the 1st pick but I don't think I'll be crying if we don't get the 1st pick..

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I would be more than happy if we end up with Morant. Of course I would prefer Zion because I think he is more of a sure thing as an impact player, but Morant looks very good to me.

For me the question is more about what do we do if we can't get either of those two. Is there anyone else that is really worth drafting or do we just try and trade the pick to get something that can help us sooner than whatever rookie we are going to get?

OP
OP
C

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think we will get him, it looks like the other teams don't think that is their primary need... Barrett doesn't seem like a terrible consolation prize.. we are almost assured to the top three..

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think we will get him, it looks like the other teams don't think that is their primary need... Barrett doesn't seem like a terrible consolation prize.. we are almost assured to the top three..
If we finish 2nd or 3rd in the standings we only have about a 50/50 shot at picking in the top 3 or outside of the top 3.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No. It is more likely we get four or five based upon present odds.

I think taking Zion first or Morant second is a no brainer. But if we end up in the next three, I am not sure. I could see us trading out.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
If we get one of Zion or Morant, I'll be fine. We need to be no lower than 2.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
We have to be top 3 to get morant , a few teams like the Cavs or Knicks probably take RJ over morant based on their teams but he most likely doesn't fall to 4

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It is frustrating seeing people continue to gush over Morant and conclude that he will make a seamless transition to NBA success when he has been struggling of late in the freaking Ohio Valley Conference, and when he doesn't even have a single victory over high major competition.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It is frustrating seeing people continue to gush over Morant and conclude that he will make a seamless transition to NBA success when he has been struggling of late in the freaking Ohio Valley Conference, and when he doesn't even have a single victory over high major competition.
He's been struggling lately? His last 5 games he has averaged 23/11/6/1.4/1.6 on 50%/40%/83% shooting.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He's been struggling lately? His last 5 games he has averaged 23/11/6/1.4/1.6 on 50%/40%/83% shooting.

And the last two games he shot a horrid 3-11 and 8-22 from the field, respectively, and he has still averaged almost 5 turnovers per game in his last 5 games...all against the weakest of competition.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
And the last two games he shot a horrid 3-11 and 8-22 from the field, respectively, and he has still averaged almost 5 turnovers per game in his last 5 games...all against the weakest of competition.
Yes we get it you don't like morant, other people like him because he is one of the fastest most athletic players in all of college basketball who also plays the biggest position of need for the sun's, and unlike the comparisons you're always saying he's actually a good passer and finisher , shooting needs some work but no draft prospect is ever perfect

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep. Its not 50, 40, 90. He's a bum.

Curios how you all would rate Morant in comparison to Trae Young.

To me, he is easily on the same level.

Scoring is similar. Morant is better at the rim, Young is better from outside. Similar overall production.

Athleticism. Morant is WAY above Young.

Distribution. Very similar. Morant has a bette AST/TO ratio.

Defense. Morant is significantly better.

Ball handling. Very similar.

Leadership. Very similar.

My pause is that Morant is playing against lesser competition.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yep. Its not 50, 40, 90. He's a bum.

Curios how you all would rate Morant in comparison to Trae Young.

To me, he is easily on the same level.

Scoring is similar. Morant is better at the rim, Young is better from outside. Similar overall production.

Athleticism. Morant is WAY above Young.

Distribution. Very similar. Morant has a bette AST/TO ratio.

Defense. Morant is significantly better.

Ball handling. Very similar.

Leadership. Very similar.

My pause is that Morant is playing against lesser competition.

MUCH lesser competition, and unlike Young he doesn't have a single victory against a legitimate college opponent and does have a number of losses against teams outside the Top 100...and even Young has proved to be somewhat of a project.

If this team ends up relying on Morant to fill its gigantic hole at the point, we're in even more trouble than I thought.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
I haven't seen him play but in the highlight videos he looks like he is playing against high school opponents.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I haven't seen him play but in the highlight videos he looks like he is playing against high school opponents.

Not far from it...and yet he is still turning the ball over tons, shooting erratically (and taking some poor shots in the process) and even losing to some of them.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That is fair. He did have excellent games against Alabama and Auburn, but the rest of the teams they played were the Eastern Kentucky's of the world.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
If this team ends up relying on Morant to fill its gigantic hole at the point, we're in even more trouble than I thought.
And still not have an experienced NBA starting Point Guard while another rookie tries to learn on the job.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Oubre could be the only player on the planet that actually wants to be here.

Plus, his damage control yesterday after the suns were ripped in the national media helped change the narrative a bit. I'm sure that earned him a couple xtra mil.