Is Kyler Murray the answer at QB for next year and beyond?

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler made a really dumb play carrying the ball like a loaf of bread early and almost lost a fumble because of it. I'm not highlighting that to be negative, but actually to give him praise. From that point on, he listened to the coaching and was tucking the ball on runs. That is an improvement right there!

An overall really good game from him. Credit where it's due. Nice win.
I noted that in the gameday thread

Bad habit to carry the ball like that

Turnover waiting to happen

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Kyler made a really dumb play carrying the ball like a loaf of bread early and almost lost a fumble because of it. I'm not highlighting that to be negative, but actually to give him praise. From that point on, he listened to the coaching and was tucking the ball on runs. That is an improvement right there!

That's all you can ask for. Is for a guy to take coaching.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Could argue it would have been wasting money, too. We still have that option open now. Plus we now know more what our base is and what we really need. I just hate throwing away big money on guys.
We will absolutely not sign two offseasons worth of FAs in a single offseason, so that option is 100 percent not open to us now.

Stout

Reaction score
I don't think we need two off seasons worth. It's going to be hard to absorb all the picks we have now. Imagine if we trade down and get MORE!
But you said it's an option. It isn't. When Monti showed his belly to the league in FA last offseason, there was no way to make up for that. It left us with a few extra holes heading into the new offseason.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
But you said it's an option. It isn't. When Monti showed his belly to the league in FA last offseason, there was no way to make up for that. It left us with a few extra holes heading into the new offseason.
What do you mean? I don't understand what you mean? We can't sign free agents? What does that mean?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could argue it would have been wasting money, too. We still have that option open now. Plus we now know more what our base is and what we really need. I just hate throwing away big money on guys.
The Cardinals don't throw big money at outside free agents. Even someone like JJ Watt was B List at that point, far past the peak of his career.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

It was one of his better performances after the pick six. I legit saw Murray climbing the pocket and throwing in rhythm.

Stout

Reaction score
What do you mean? I don't understand what you mean? We can't sign free agents? What does that mean?
We can't sign two offseasons worth of free agents in one offseason. Well, a team could do that, but we certainly never would. You and others keep acting like Monti doing nothing in FA is no big deal because we can make up for it this coming offseason. This is clearly not the case.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We can't sign two offseasons worth of free agents in one offseason. Well, a team could do that, but we certainly never would. You and others keep acting like Monti doing nothing in FA is no big deal because we can make up for it this coming offseason. This is clearly not the case.
We need to spend our FA dollars wisely…

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I am not getting what you are putting down. Because we did NOT sign anyone last season doesn't mean we won't this season. The only limiting factor technically is finances. It is certainly possible to sign as many guys as we want. I don't see how not doing it last season precludes us from doing it this season. There's no opportunity cost for not signing anyone last season. I could see this if every team was limited to only X number of spots total, and if you don't use them, you lose them.

Again we have a LOT of draft picks coming in. The need to fill in with free agents is lowered, and that is a good thing. Keim overused that, and they didn't always pan out.

Stout

Reaction score
I am not getting what you are putting down. Because we did NOT sign anyone last season doesn't mean we won't this season. The only limiting factor technically is finances. It is certainly possible to sign as many guys as we want. I don't see how not doing it last season precludes us from doing it this season.
We can't make up for not participating last year. You said we could. By not participating last year, we lost out on signing some pieces for the rebuild. Yes, we can sign pieces this coming offseason, but now have way more holes. We're not going to sign twice as many players because we saved cap money from last year.

Bottom line, Monti cost us a few players in the rebuild by not participating last year in FA and we are not going to sign double the players this coming offseason to make up for it. Very, very simple and I'm not sure if you're feigning confusion to help deflect criticism from Monti or what. There is no question he punted on long-term FAs in the last offseason, although some (yourself, clearly) think it's just no bigee.

Stout

Reaction score
We can't make up for not participating last year. You said we could. By not participating last year, we lost out on signing some pieces for the rebuild. Yes, we can sign pieces this coming offseason, but now have way more holes. We're not going to sign twice as many players because we saved cap money from last year.

Bottom line, Monti cost us a few players in the rebuild by not participating last year in FA and we are not going to sign double the players this coming offseason to make up for it. Very, very simple and I'm not sure if you're feigning confusion to help deflect criticism from Monti or what. There is no question he punted on long-term FAs in the last offseason, although some (yourself, clearly) think it's just no bigee.
Also, last time I'm explaining this. I'll just say Monti cost us in FA last year from now on and roll as if that's a given. Tired of spoon feeding the truth to the board lol

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That's fair. Is it also fair to say this team has played harder and looked better with less talent than the previous seasons Cards under Kilff? I think that's also a fair observation to make. I feel this last draft was better than most under Kilff/Keim. I also think it's too early to trend. We need at least one more season to see the direction this team takes.
While that’s fair, playing hard and losing due to lack of talent never won anything other than some pats on the back. That will grow old quickly.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Also, last time I'm explaining this. I'll just say Monti cost us in FA last year from now on and roll as if that's a given. Tired of spoon feeding the truth to the board lol
There’s no reason to tank next year even if I somewhat understand the reasoning this year. I’m not suggesting we push every chip in but look at the NFC playoff field this year. No reason we can’t be among that group in 2024 with a good offseason.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

I still don't see anyone we could have signed that would have moved the needle for us this season in wins and losses. Again, I think we are being prudent building through the draft and we have a TON of draft capital. How do we know who we are even drafting yet? Why would I sign a free agent last season, only to draft his replacement in this draft? Especially after knowing how I set ups this year's draft?

Yes, we could have gone out and spent a ton in free agency. I don't think with Kyler out it would have moved the needle any. It would have been a warm and fuzzy. We still have those dollars available. Those dollars didn't go away. I am just not seeing how not signing guys last season will affect this season. Maybe I am just not understanding how we handicapped ourselves? If anything, any amount we spent last season would limit what we spend this season, would it not? :shrug:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I

I still don't see anyone we could have signed that would have moved the needle for us this season in wins and losses. Again, I think we are being prudent building through the draft and we have a TON of draft capital. How do we know who we are even drafting yet? Why would I sign a free agent last season, only to draft his replacement in this draft. Especially after knowing how I set ups this year's draft?

Yes, we could have gone out and spent a ton in free agency. I don't think with Kyler out it would have moved the needle any. It would have been a warm and fuzzy. We still have those dollars available. Those dollars didn't go away. I am just not seeing how not signing guys last season will affect this season. Maybe I am just not understanding how we handicapped ourselves? If anything, any amount we spent last season would limit what we spend this season, would it not? :shrug:
At end of day it’s almost impossible to move the needle in free agency. Has to be done via draft and that can take a couple years.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It’s only wasting money if you brought in a bad player. That’s a risk that has zero to do with it being last offseason. Same risk exists today. Except if monti does bring in a bad player this year he doesn’t have the knowledge that he has to fix a position - which he would have if he made the mistake last offseason - further delaying our growth as a team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison