In a draft like this, the Cardinals should probably trade back.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If you are of the mind that this draft is limited in top end talent, and you have a wide range of needs, you probably should look at moving back because adding picks makes fringe prospects better values. I won't be shocke if this is the case when the Cardinals pick. Eli Harold, Owa Odigizuwa, and Preston Smith all fill a need, but unless you value one significantly more than the other, why not move back. If Kevin Johnson is close to Byron Jones or Marcus Peters, move back. I can't see a player being available who doesn't come with big question marks or where there isn't a bunching in value. So, the question is who are the players that are worth taking when considering the drop off to the next guy available?

Todd Gurley
Cameron Erving
Randy Gregory

...and that is it. The CBs all bunch together as do the LBs (ILB and OLB). Melvin Gordon and Tevin Coleman are close IMO as well.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The question to me would be, how do we make to valuable to some other team? I guess they'd really have to have a need they could fill with #24.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
If you are of the mind that this draft is limited in top end talent, and you have a wide range of needs, you probably should look at moving back because adding picks makes fringe prospects better values. I won't be shocke if this is the case when the Cardinals pick. Eli Harold, Owa Odigizuwa, and Preston Smith all fill a need, but unless you value one significantly more than the other, why not move back. If Kevin Johnson is close to Byron Jones or Marcus Peters, move back. I can't see a player being available who doesn't come with big question marks or where there isn't a bunching in value. So, the question is who are the players that are worth taking when considering the drop off to the next guy available?

Todd Gurley
Cameron Erving
Randy Gregory

...and that is it. The CBs all bunch together as do the LBs (ILB and OLB). Melvin Gordon and Tevin Coleman are close IMO as well.

Erving is bunched in with Collins, Flowers, Peat and maybe Humphries and Clemmings for our needs as well, imo.

NE has all kinds of picks. Ravens have a few in the 3rd Rd. too.

Let me throw one more name at you. Breshad Perriman.

http://gbnreport.com/2015-nfl-draft-player-rankings/top-100-players/

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would not be surprised if they did something similar to last years draft if the player they want is gone. Trade down a few spots and pick up a 3rd or 4th. Maybe cowboys or saints?

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Erving is bunched in with Collins, Flowers, Peat and maybe Humphries and Clemmings for our needs as well, imo.

NE has all kinds of picks. Ravens have a few in the 3rd Rd. too.

Let me throw one more name at you. Breshad Perriman.

http://gbnreport.com/2015-nfl-draft-player-rankings/top-100-players/

If you believe Erving is head and shoulders above every other C, and he ranks high on your board, you take him. If his playing C doesn't elevate him above those other players you mentioned, then you don't.

Perriman...would be a guy who I would consider if I traded back. Put him on a list of 5 to 10 guys you are willing to take at the spot you are trading down to. That being said, I look at him and Strong from ASU, and I think they are close in terms of risk vs potential. Perriman has more potential, but also more risk. Strong has less potential but also less risk.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I would not be surprised if they did something similar to last years draft if the player they want is gone. Trade down a few spots and pick up a 3rd or 4th. Maybe cowboys or saints?

Yup, I'm guessing this is the type of move they will look at unless someone really drops far and is worth the risk.

Guys who may drop...Shane Ray, Todd Gurley, Randy Gregory, Danny Shelton.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are stupid front offices all over the NFL.

At least is doesn't seem that way anymore with the Cards front office. What a relief from years gone by.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
If you believe Erving is head and shoulders above every other C, and he ranks high on your board, you take him. If his playing C doesn't elevate him above those other players you mentioned, then you don't.

Perriman...would be a guy who I would consider if I traded back. Put him on a list of 5 to 10 guys you are willing to take at the spot you are trading down to. That being said, I look at him and Strong from ASU, and I think they are close in terms of risk vs potential. Perriman has more potential, but also more risk. Strong has less potential but also less risk.

I'd agree 100% all around. They did bring him in.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
At least is doesn't seem that way anymore with the Cards front office. What a relief from years gone by.

Yes, we have been that team in the past, and thankfully, aren't that team right now.

Honestly, with all of the uncertainty of the draft, and the dependence on the cost savings of having drafted players on the roster, when in doubt, trade back. The more lottery tickets you buy, the better chance you have to win.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

Something tells me Perriman has bust written across his forehead.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think this is probably true. You have to have a trade up partner to move back, of course. And you have to be willing to settle for the moral equivalent of Bucannon instead of a player at a position of greater need.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
with the rare exception of a sure fire cant miss sitting ahead of us......we get these types of threads every year....well, every year we aint picking in the top ten anyway.

I dunno,...maybe they should trade back and continue to build the roster....or maybe they should trade up and get that one guy that puts us over the top....if they decide that guy is actually there anyway.

If I were to trade our #1 I don't think I would do it as a move back....instead,... I would trade it outright for somebodies #1 next year....and maybe their #2 and #4 this year.

having 2 #1's next draft puts us in position to move around and make a play to get a Lambo....because we have not done so well so far trying to find a Porsche in the Pinto lot.

but it also adds value picks in this draft....maybe trade both 4's and a 6th to somebody else for their 3....that would give us 2 2nds and 2 3rds in this draft,...then 2 1st's next year.

I dunno....just do not see a whole lot to be moving around for in this draft....be better to move that equity to next years draft IMO.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think this is probably true. You have to have a trade up partner to move back, of course. And you have to be willing to settle for the moral equivalent of Bucannon instead of a player at a position of greater need.

Agreed. I just look at who may be available on paper, and I'm not sure a ton differentiates the players.

Melvin Gordon
Tevin Coleman
Jalen Strong
Breshad Perriman
TJ Clemmings
Le'al Collins
Malcolm Brown
Jordan Phillips
Arik Armstead
Carl Davis
Preston Smith
Owa Odig
Eli Harold
Eric Kendricks
Shaq Thompson
Trae Waynes
Kevin Johnson
Marcus Peters
Byron Smith

Is there any of these guys who are an additional 3rd or 4th round pick better than the others? That is the question that needs to be asked.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
last tear we traded our first pick ,for few spots,and we got an additional 3th rounder
a team with higher pick just a couple of spot later traded back in the first round and got an additional 2nd
they didnt have the player they wanted so they were happy to get just anpther 3th round pick,they didnt use too much leverage
probably they have been in discussion with new orleans even earlier then draft day

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I think a trade back is a likely scenario, and Wolf seems to think so too on the radio this morning..

Also, I heard the Cards aren't willing to give up their first for Peterson, but the Vikings think the Cards second "feels like a third"... what if the Cards traded down into the early to mid second and picked up an extra pick or two, and then traded that early-mid second to the Vikings for Peterson.. so you'd essentially be trading your first round pick for Peterson plus some extra picks (probably 3rd or 4th round?). What would people think of that?

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I think a trade back is a likely scenario, and Wolf seems to think so too on the radio this morning..

Also, I heard the Cards aren't willing to give up their first for Peterson, but the Vikings think the Cards second "feels like a third"... what if the Cards traded down into the early to mid second and picked up an extra pick or two, and then traded that early-mid second to the Vikings for Peterson.. so you'd essentially be trading your first round pick for Peterson plus some extra picks (probably 3rd or 4th round?). What would people think of that?

:thumbdown

Don't like it. I'm wobbly even on our 2nd.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
a scenario i think is realistic:

lets start by assuming for one reason or another, Melvin Gordon isnt the Cards guy and he is there at #24

rumors are that Dallas and Balt are both really interested. One of those may want to trade up to jump ahead of the other.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
a scenario i think is realistic:

lets start by assuming for one reason or another, Melvin Gordon isnt the Cards guy and he is there at #24

rumors are that Dallas and Balt are both really interested. One of those may want to trade up to jump ahead of the other.

Or even ahead of us. They know we have a need there. I think NE is our best bet for a trade.

But maybe one of the teams is already talking to us. Alot of these scenario's are worked out ahead of time.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Or even ahead of us. They know we have a need there. I think NE is our best bet for a trade.

But maybe one of the teams is already talking to us. Alot of these scenario's are worked out ahead of time.

NE is rarely a trade-upper --- typically they go down

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I could easily see a trade down. I think the they will unless someone falls into their laps at 24. I used to want to trade up for Ray, and still would to a point, but he seems to be sliding a bit.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson